2015-16 schedule thread

GMUSig03

All-Conference
i really like the balance of the schedule this season. Davidson game is surely homecoming, vcu on a wednesday night and Richmond to close out the season at home. Cant wait till November.

Of course Davidson will be the homecoming game b/c we idiotically always put it on a holiday weekend when most people are going to ski resorts/out of town.

GMU92

Starter
Of course Davidson will be the homecoming game b/c we idiotically always put it on a holiday weekend when most people are going to ski resorts/out of town.

I always enjoy the homecoming game, however, I gotta say it has been several years since I've spent any length of time at the Block Party. I must be getting old (yeah, I'm getting old), but I just don't want to freeze my a$$ off in mid Feb. for hours on end any more. That's really why homecoming is for football - on a nice crisp Fall day, watching your team kick the crap out of a buy-a-win opponent (just don't pick App St. if you're Michigan, or JMU if you're the Hokies).

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
I always enjoy the homecoming game, however, I gotta say it has been several years since I've spent any length of time at the Block Party. I must be getting old (yeah, I'm getting old), but I just don't want to freeze my a$$ off in mid Feb. for hours on end any more. That's really why homecoming is for football - on a nice crisp Fall day, watching your team kick the crap out of a buy-a-win opponent (just don't pick App St. if you're Michigan, or JMU if you're the Hokies).

vcu apparently is doing their homecoming in November, which I find interesting.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
vcu apparently is doing their homecoming in November, which I find interesting.
I've said this in previous years, but the earlier we can hold Homecoming the better. There were years when Homecoming would be the last Saturday home game of the season. So any casual Mason fan who attended and jumped on the bandwagon had only 1 home game left to attend. The earlier the better so that there are more home games after Homecoming that can help boost attendance. I'm curious if that is vcu's rationale for holding it in November.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Yep, Mason did that when I was there in the late 80s/early 90s.

Old Cubans first year we got midnight madness started. Brought in chuck booms and some bands, beer garden was approved but then axed by AD bc "we dont have a back up location for beer garden if it rains"...yep that was a real excuse. Homecoming switched to bball season at Old Cubans suggestion. Couldnt say no to him after going to the Dance in 2nd year.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If Mason holds homecoming for a soccer game, the enemy officially has won.

Hold homecoming on Dec. 5 prior to the Penn game. It's one we can win, and early enough in the year that we can still have a crisp late fall day to enjoy tailgating even without football.

And as has been pointed out, a rousing environment and a big win could spur ticket sales for the A-10 schedule. That wouldn't be a bad thing.

Makes too much sense not to do it.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Pretty sure once again Jim is bashing illegal immigrants and their chosen game of preference futballs.
If Mason holds homecoming for a soccer game, the enemy officially has won.

Hold homecoming on Dec. 5 prior to the Penn game. It's one we can win, and early enough in the year that we can still have a crisp late fall day to enjoy tailgating even without football.

And as has been pointed out, a rousing environment and a big win could spur ticket sales for the A-10 schedule. That wouldn't be a bad thing.

Makes too much sense not to do it.

I don't hold on to antiquated notions about what is American or not American (if U.S. Soccer would have gotten its act together in 1919 instead of fracturing and fighting with itself over the direction of the sport in this country, we'd probably be playing the game in much bigger stadiums today). And I also think if you could get 2,000 fans who really wanted to embrace soccer culture and go for it, it would be a pretty unique and amazing experience as a homecoming. But I also know that won't happen, especially at the collegiate level. So I agree with you, an early season OOC home game as homecoming makes the most sense (the string of Valentine's Day homecoming games was just awful by the way, especially when we kept losing them).