2015-16 schedule thread

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You still have to budget the expenses for that year. Sheesh, what are they teaching up there?

Yes, but I doubt it's any less expensive. Flights to PR can be got for rather cheap and since it's such a tourist destination hotels aren't too bad either. Charleston is not that cheap of a place to go. Don't let the sexy name and tropical beaches fool you.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
I've been to both and it was more expensive to go to Charleston in November than Puerto Rico in August, also stayed at a much nicer hotel in PR. Don't think Charleston is any cheaper.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
http://masonhoops.com/2014-2015-schedule/:

"8.04 The following requirements must be met by all Atlantic 10 men’s basketball teams. The penalty for non-compliance is outlined in the Conference Constitution and Bylaws.

A. Each men’s team must maintain a 1.8 average for all non-conference games schedules. The RPI at the conclusion of the NCAA Tournament of the preceding season will be used for the pre-season analysis and the current season’s pre-NCAA tournament RPI will be used for post-season analysis. The point values are as follows:

Ranked 1-50 in the RPI: 4 points
Ranked 51-100 in the RPI: 3 points
Ranked 101-125 in the RPI: 2.5 points
Ranked 126-150 in the RPI: 2 points
Ranked 151-175 in the RPI: 1 point
Ranked 176-200 in the RPI: 0.5 point
Ranked 201+ in the RPI: 0 points

B. Any Atlantic 10 institution playing a non-conference game against an opponent from the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, SEC PAC-10 or Big East will receive no less than 2 points, regardless of the team’s RPI.

C. Any Atlantic 10 institution playing a non-conference game against an opponent from Conference USA or Mountain West will receive no less than 1 point, regardless of the team’s RPI."

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Yes, but I doubt it's any less expensive. Flights to PR can be got for rather cheap and since it's such a tourist destination hotels aren't too bad either. Charleston is not that cheap of a place to go. Don't let the sexy name and tropical beaches fool you.

C'mob Gemini, I expect better from you. Have you checked flights to PR vs Charleston? $650 vs $260. Everything else is similar. But its clear PR is way more.

You still have to budget the expenses for that year. Sheesh, what are they teaching up there?

My point was it isn't like when they agreed to be in the Charleston Classic the thinking was "I bet we wont be any good, will have to fire our coach and need to pay less money for our exempt tournament in 2015-16".

Simply put, the 2015-16 OOC schedule Mason has this season has zero to do with the trip to Puerto Rico last year or the trip to Charleston this year. Got it? If the travel budget was this big squeeze, I don't think they would have done Hawaii and the PR in back to back years, preceded by the Virgin Islands. And prior to that it was suppose to be Cancun until Coach Konkol was able to weasel us into the preseason NIT bracket at Va Tech before they left for Miami. These things are done way in advance.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Apparently the BB&T Classic has been moved from its traditional weekend, and as a result GW had to pull out due to scheduling conflicts. You wonder if that's one reason we're not involved this season, either. It sounds like Georgetown is calling the shots. There was a rumor a number of months ago that Georgetown is playing UVA in the BB&T.

March Madness32

Four-star Recruit
If there is going to be an upset in the Charleston Classic it could be Ole Miss losing to George Mason. Ole Miss is a really good team but they graduated a lot of seniors this year. They will be getting up to speed in early November with their team just like we will be, and their star player will be getting his legs back after a May injury with a recovery time of all summer and fall. So I think we will be competitive at least. To me, Mercer will be the game to reveal what kind of team we are. If we can get by Colgate and Mercer, then get an upset in the Charleston Classic, we can be 3-1, 4-1 right out of the gate.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I know this doesn't have anything to do with Ole Miss, but number four is a huge illustration of why you feed the post when you have a dominant big man -- four WSU players converged on Lewis on that play...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
If there is going to be an upset in the Charleston Classic it could be Ole Miss losing to George Mason. Ole Miss is a really good team but they graduated a lot of seniors this year. They will be getting up to speed in early November with their team just like we will be, and their star player will be getting his legs back after a May injury with a recovery time of all summer and fall. So I think we will be competitive at least. To me, Mercer will be the game to reveal what kind of team we are. If we can get by Colgate and Mercer, then get an upset in the Charleston Classic, we can be 3-1, 4-1 right out of the gate.
Mercer's best player transferred to UNLV. They are a young team.

GMUJETS24

Four-star Recruit
a little bit of hype for this upcoming year, if you go on Jenkins instagram page, he has really bulked up this year. and there was a mayimba sighting as him and jenkins put on a dunk contest for the kids.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
What is instagram and in what flavors?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
a little bit of hype for this upcoming year, if you go on Jenkins instagram page, he has really bulked up this year. and there was a mayimba sighting as him and jenkins put on a dunk contest for the kids.

Playing Jalen closer to the basket instead of at the top of the key as a slashing SF ... BRILLIANT!

I'm gonna say it now: If Mayimba is eligible, we're gonna be much better than people think.

Even with freshmen backing up at the guard spots, we should easily exceed last season's win total with a competent coaching staff and a softer schedule. I think .500 is a reasonable target.

Next season is when it really gets tough, with most likely 10 freshmen and sophomores on the roster.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Playing Jalen closer to the basket instead of at the top of the key as a slashing SF ... BRILLIANT!

I'm gonna say it now: If Mayimba is eligible, we're gonna be much better than people think.

Even with freshmen backing up at the guard spots, we should easily exceed last season's win total with a competent coaching staff and a softer schedule. I think .500 is a reasonable target.

Next season is when it really gets tough, with most likely 10 freshmen and sophomores on the roster.

Mayimba is the stud and game changer we desperately need!

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Mason Basketball ‏@MasonMBB 13h13 hours ago
1f4af.png
days until tip on November 13...who is counting?! #WeAreMason

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
saw were jmu now wants to be known as "Madison." what a bunchbof copycats. and the slum belt is expanding again. jmu's last chance at pretend big time football

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk