The #1 Pep Band in College Basketball

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I've noticed that anything over 4 syllables and people bail out.
Folks don't come to a basketball game to compose Haiku.
Agreed. It was always hard to find unison among the students sitting in the Platoon while I was there. If half of us were jumping up and down and yelling before tip/on defense, the other half would be looking at us like we were all nuts (you should be nuts when you're sitting in the student section). Would be cool to have a handful of go-to chants where everyone is always on the same page, atmosphere would be better for it.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
My favorite chant is shoot for two two two orrr three!

It's original and witty af. I always get so amped when I hear it, and I know the players do, too.

I mean it explains the basic of the game, just like "Take it away Mason take it away". The chants explain goals the team should strive for :crazytongue:

I do like the George! Mason! chant with the sides but that means there has to be more than 5 students actually interested in yelling. Maybe for second semester if the team keeps winning the crowds will get a little better..

Son-of-a-Gunston

Preferred Walk-On
My favorite chant is shoot for two two two orrr three!

It's original and witty af. I always get so amped when I hear it, and I know the players do, too.

Look, the members of this board campaigned very effectively to kill Gunston—they succeeded. They helped get the Virus expunged a year early. There is absolutely no reason that these same Patriots can't get the students, cheerleaders, and the band to coordinate their efforts.

The cheerleaders have been doing the same schtick for decades now. They need to update themselves. It should be incumbent upon the cheerleaders to activate fan support during games. The band has taken the lead on this and thus have usurped the cheerleaders' jobs. The band sets the tone. And thankfully so. Cheerleaders, please follow the band's lead and stop competing with change. Coordinate with them and build the new traditions blossoming from the band's revolutionary tactics. Be Patriots!!

And... bring back Gunston!!!

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Will need to reconfigure seating amongst other things. Students should be closer to the action.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Look, the members of this board campaigned very effectively to kill Gunston—they succeeded. They helped get the Virus expunged a year early. There is absolutely no reason that these same Patriots can't get the students, cheerleaders, and the band to coordinate their efforts.

The cheerleaders have been doing the same schtick for decades now. They need to update themselves. It should be incumbent upon the cheerleaders to activate fan support during games. The band has taken the lead on this and thus have usurped the cheerleaders' jobs. The band sets the tone. And thankfully so. Cheerleaders, please follow the band's lead and stop competing with change. Coordinate with them and build the new traditions blossoming from the band's revolutionary tactics. Be Patriots!!

And... bring back Gunston!!!

I would suggest contacting Kelly Beyer, Cheerleading Coach, at kbeyer1@gmu.edu or 703-993-3292.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
You think first 5 (give or take) rows around EBA?

So, where are you going to put the season ticket holders with those seats who make significant contributions to the Patriot Club? BTW, this would also impact Coach Paulsen given that the school is contractually obligated to provide some of these seats to him.

Last edited:

The Great PATSby

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So, where are you going to put the season ticket holders with those seats who make significant contributions to the Patriot Club?

In the non-existant suites that EBA is long overdue on?

Other big time programs (Duke, Maryland, Michigan St, Michigan, Gonzaga) with a lot more big time donors than we do make it work with their students court side. Maybe make below the railing on one side a student section.

Son-of-a-Gunston

Preferred Walk-On
Nah, spreading out the students would dilute their presence. The ends of the court are the best places for them.

The cheerleaders are a good bunch of athletes. Back before the band ran the show, the students and crowd followed the cheerleaders' lead pretty well. But then the band took over. We got the Patriot Platoon and other smaller groups. All of these groups are doing there own thing.

When I was a student in the early 90's I remember a few times when fliers were placed on the students' seats explaining certain chants or other things to do during free-throws, certain fouls, etc. The activities were coordinated.

The cheerleaders are the ones who need to take charge. Come up a new cheer every now and then and replace the old and stale ones. Appropriate material from other schools, no need to reinvent the wheel. Do something different. That's what I'm hearing from all of you.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
So, where are you going to put the season ticket holders with those seats who make significant contributions to the Patriot Club? BTW, this would also impact Coach Paulsen given that the school is contractually obligated to provide some of these seats to him.
I believe Michigan has a set up like this, however I don't see that flying here. We wouldn't get enough students to make it worth re-locating season ticket holders who drop good cash to sit there.

I always thought it would be cool if they could en-close the open areas next to the student section (I believe that's where the team currently runs out) with portable bleachers. It would expand the student section to the left and right, rather than up towards the rafters like it is now.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Duke reserves Duke guest tickets behind the Duke Bench at Cameron. Students sit on the floor seats opposite the bench and along either end.

I don't think we have the student demand to make that work for most games, to be honest.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Will need to reconfigure seating amongst other things. Students should be closer to the action.

GS,

With all due respect, when was the last time you purchase season tickets? I'm guessing that your suggestion would adversely impact most season ticket holders.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Nah, spreading out the students would dilute their presence. The ends of the court are the best places for them.

The cheerleaders are a good bunch of athletes. Back before the band ran the show, the students and crowd followed the cheerleaders' lead pretty well. But then the band took over. We got the Patriot Platoon and other smaller groups. All of these groups are doing there own thing.

When I was a student in the early 90's I remember a few times when fliers were placed on the students' seats explaining certain chants or other things to do during free-throws, certain fouls, etc. The activities were coordinated.

The cheerleaders are the ones who need to take charge. Come up a new cheer every now and then and replace the old and stale ones. Appropriate material from other schools, no need to reinvent the wheel. Do something different. That's what I'm hearing from all of you.

I'm not sure why this hasn't continued (maybe it has) but I remember this was the tradition for many years, and even those not in the platoon would have gold on no matter what the game. Of course things have changed but you would think the printouts would still be there, but I have no idea how many members the platoon has or if they are even that passionate these days.

I believe Michigan has a set up like this, however I don't see that flying here. We wouldn't get enough students to make it worth re-locating season ticket holders who drop good cash to sit there.

I always thought it would be cool if they could en-close the open areas next to the student section (I believe that's where the team currently runs out) with portable bleachers. It would expand the student section to the left and right, rather than up towards the rafters like it is now.

Those open areas next to the student sections probably have to remain open for fire safety reasons, since technically they are exits. That is a total guess though.

Unfortunately with the way the arena bowl is structured, there are a lot of limitations in what they actually can do. They can't move donors and students will stay on the end zones, probably forever.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm not sure why this hasn't continued (maybe it has) but I remember this was the tradition for many years, and even those not in the platoon would have gold on no matter what the game. Of course things have changed but you would think the printouts would still be there, but I have no idea how many members the platoon has or if they are even that passionate these days.

Those open areas next to the student sections probably have to remain open for fire safety reasons, since technically they are exits. That is a total guess though.

Unfortunately with the way the arena bowl is structured, there are a lot of limitations in what they actually can do. They can't move donors and students will stay on the end zones, probably forever.
Ah true, didn't think about the whole fire safety thing. Agreed that the students will always be at the end zones in our arena. And I'll never understand why some students don't wear gold at all games - annoying to see random dots of red or blue in the student section.

Bottom line, there needs to be more conformity among the students in the Platoon, the cheerleaders and the band - which would all elevate the atmosphere. Probably won't be able to get the students to fully buy in until the winning is consistent again.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Am I the only one that thinks pre-game warm ups are lame? The fight song doesn't exactly excite people who aren't old like me. I remember during Pearson's senior year he was getting ready to be introduce and some hip hop beat was left on the intercom too long. The fight song started playing before he was introduced. He just rolled his eyes. Remember it like yesterday.

Now, the siren going in to the band doing Rage would be, as the kids say, lit.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Ah true, didn't think about the whole fire safety thing. Agreed that the students will always be at the end zones in our arena. And I'll never understand why some students don't wear gold at all games - annoying to see random dots of red or blue in the student section.

Bottom line, there needs to be more conformity among the students in the Platoon, the cheerleaders and the band - which would all elevate the atmosphere. Probably won't be able to get the students to fully buy in until the winning is consistent again.

At this point I'd rather have 1000 students in navy then 100 students in gold!