2021 Recruiting

JPgmuswim

Starter
We’ve never regularly landed kids with offers like that. Doesn’t mean we can’t, but if that’s the standard, you’re gonna stay disappointed.

You’re not wrong, but when we were in the CAA we did compete with other top CAA schools for recruits. Outside of Seton Hall you named 3 Schools in our current conference, I don’t think my standards are set high to ask that we compete with top schools in our conference for recruits.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
You’re not wrong, but when we were in the CAA we did compete with other top CAA schools for recruits. Outside of Seton Hall you named 3 Schools in our current conference, I don’t think my standards are set high to ask that we compete with top schools in our conference for recruits.

Your standards are up to you. But looking at it objectively, I’m not sure why a kid who has offers from Dayton and/or vcu would choose Mason ... our program and resources aren’t comparable.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Your standards are up to you. But looking at it objectively, I’m not sure why a kid who has offers from Dayton and/or vcu would choose Mason ... our program and resources aren’t comparable.
what about kids we recruit that go to UMASS, Rhode Island or Bona?

FreeGunston12

All-American
One of our priority recruits for 2021, 6-9 combo F Rafael Castro, has now picked up offers from Seton Hall, Dayton, vcu and UMass.

We’re fishing in deep water on this one, but we were his first offer from other than low majors. Let’s hope that means something.
Can he play the 5? Can Zaakir Williamson play the 5? We desperately will need one to go with Oduro after this year. I suspect news on the recruiting front will be tough to come by in the next few months, but those are the only two possibilities that I see us currently linked to.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Can he play the 5? Can Zaakir Williamson play the 5? We desperately will need one to go with Oduro after this year. I suspect news on the recruiting front will be tough to come by in the next few months, but those are the only two possibilities that I see us currently linked to.

I feel like we need both of them, Calixte and AJ are both gone.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Zaakir Williamson is 6 foot 6 isn't he? I hope we don't play him at the 5

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Zaakir Williamson is 6 foot 6 isn't he? I hope we don't play him at the 5

He is listed at 6'6 on verbal commits and I would have to think he would be more of that 3/4 athlete that Paulsen has been targeting over the last few classes (Miller/Frazier/Daddy). I suspect Paulsen wants someone a little taller for the 5, like Rafael Castro who is 6'9 (also athletic but a little taller).

The other caveat is Williamson could possibly grow a little more.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He is listed at 6'6 on verbal commits and I would have to think he would be more of that 3/4 athlete that Paulsen has been targeting over the last few classes (Miller/Frazier/Daddy). I suspect Paulsen wants someone a little taller for the 5, like Rafael Castro who is 6'9 (also athletic but a little taller).

The other caveat is Williamson could possibly grow a little more.

Dude is 235 pounds. He looks like a 4/5 to me. Maybe a little Ryan Pearson in his game?:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjqLO0j9Yho

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Dude is 235 pounds. He looks like a 4/5 to me. Maybe a little Ryan Pearson in his game?:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjqLO0j9Yho

probably more of a 4 than a 5 with his height, unless he ends up growing some more. He’s a little on the short side for a 5 in the a10. You might get away with it in the CAA but I can’t see it in the a10. 6’8 or higher for center.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
probably more of a 4 than a 5 with his height, unless he ends up growing some more. He’s a little on the short side for a 5 in the a10. You might get away with it in the CAA but I can’t see it in the a10. 6’8 or higher for center.

Took the words out of my mouth. Could be a thicc 4 though.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

French and MSS are 6’7...Jalen was also 6’7.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
French and MSS are 6’7...Jalen was also 6’7.
Jalen was a 4 thrusted into the 5 slot for his senior season, MSS was a 5 on the most up tempo team in the league, I doubt he will be at Texas Tech, French is a good example though.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You just said that a 6 foot 6 dude could be an A10 center. I’m super confused

Kendall Pollard played center for Dayton his junior season. Dayton, in fact, started 2 6'6 forwards (Pierre and Pollard) together that year. I seem to remember they did all right that season.

Williamson looks like a 4/5 tweener to me. Will he ever be a starter if he comes here? I don't know, but does every single player we recruit have to become an all-A10 level guy?

I also said we need 2 forwards for 2021 because we're losing AJ and Calixte and will only have Henry and Oduro, so seems like a guy who could back-up both spots wouldn't be a bad get.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Kendall Pollard played center for Dayton his junior season. Dayton, in fact, started 2 6'6 forwards (Pierre and Pollard) together that year. I seem to remember they did all right that season.

Williamson looks like a 4/5 tweener to me. Will he ever be a starter if he comes here? I don't know, but does every single player we recruit have to become an all-A10 level guy?

I also said we need 2 forwards for 2021 because we're losing AJ and Calixte and will only have Henry and Oduro, so seems like a guy who could back-up both spots wouldn't be a bad get.

I’ll buy that logic. I think he looks like someone who would primarily play the 4 but could eat some minutes at the 5 if necessary.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Xeruius Williams started on that team at 6 foot 8. Pollard was recruited as a SF. They played 5 out and Williams guarded the center. But ok