2021 Recruiting

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Xeruius Williams started on that team at 6 foot 8. Pollard was recruited as a SF. They played 5 out and Williams guarded the center. But ok

Sorry, was thinking of Kendall Pollard's sophomore season -- 2014-2015, not 2015-2016. Williams was a freshman in the 2015-2016 season, and he also didn't start every game -- they played a lot of different lineups in the 2015-2016 season.

And whether Dayton played 5-out or not, he was playing a lot of center and guarding A-10 centers at 6'6 235.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Mo-Alie Cox?

vcu always plays small at the 5 for the last few coaches, side effect of their style of play.

Fun fact, MSS almost transferred after his freshman season at vcu because they were trying to get him to slim down to better slot in as a 5 in their system. He ended up staying and dropping 20 lbs.

I think the real conversation is that unless Paulsen changed our system, I don’t think that offensive or defensively we could win any A10 games with a 6’6 center playing starter minutes.

FreeGunston12

All-American
I'll take a 6'6 / 6'7 guy that can bang down low and keep people out of the paint over a 6'8 / 6'9 guy that can't. To me, Williamson looks like he has more potential to do that than anyone left on the roster after this season. If you watch his tape, he's definitely not a 3.
Realistically, if he was a couple inches taller then we wouldn't stand a chance at getting him. So I say let's take him and hope he grows a bit. If not, you've got yourself a beefy 4 to work with.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It's an interesting team building question. Probably not a good sign that you can name every successful A10 center 6'7" or shorter (French, Pollard, Martin, Alie-Cox, MSS) because you're looking for exceptions to the rule that centers should be tall.

But tall centers who are good are really hard to come by. You either need to find a late blooming diamond in the rough (Obi, Hughes) or straight up steal a good recruit who has better offers (Osun, Tre Mitchell). Otherwise just about every guy 6'8" or taller is functional but limited, like Calixte, Longpre, Toro, Tshimonga, etc.

Since there's not much evidence this staff can go toe-to-toe with similar schools for good recruits, they need to focus on late bloomers (hoping like hell this is Oduro) or get a beefy short dude and hope he turns into Jai Lewis.

Also, Pollard only started at center that year after the tragic offseason death of Steve McElvene. Pollard was very good in his role but that team was LOADED.

with 4 scholarships available for 2021, we will be in fine shape with at least 2 of the following:

Erik Reynolds, Darius Johnson, Zaakir Williamson, Markus Ilver, Rafael Castro, TJ Gadsden

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Sorry, was thinking of Kendall Pollard's sophomore season -- 2014-2015, not 2015-2016. Williams was a freshman in the 2015-2016 season, and he also didn't start every game -- they played a lot of different lineups in the 2015-2016 season.

And whether Dayton played 5-out or not, he was playing a lot of center and guarding A-10 centers at 6'6 235.
Williams played two seasons with pollard

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
French and MSS are 6’7...Jalen was also 6’7.

I could be completely wrong, it was just merely my opinion. But others have said he could be a backup at the 5, and I could see that. If he’s thick and physical at 6’7 that’s fine for a 5 for some minutes. In general I think you need someone a little taller but I can see it working in this scenario too.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It's an interesting team building question. Probably not a good sign that you can name every successful A10 center 6'7" or shorter (French, Pollard, Martin, Alie-Cox, MSS) because you're looking for exceptions to the rule that centers should be tall.

But tall centers who are good are really hard to come by. You either need to find a late blooming diamond in the rough (Obi, Hughes) or straight up steal a good recruit who has better offers (Osun, Tre Mitchell). Otherwise just about every guy 6'8" or taller is functional but limited, like Calixte, Longpre, Toro, Tshimonga, etc.

Since there's not much evidence this staff can go toe-to-toe with similar schools for good recruits, they need to focus on late bloomers (hoping like hell this is Oduro) or get a beefy short dude and hope he turns into Jai Lewis.

Also, Pollard only started at center that year after the tragic offseason death of Steve McElvene. Pollard was very good in his role but that team was LOADED.

I mean, we're also only going back to 2014 and most of the people we named either just graduated or are still playing (and you forgot Jalen's senior season where he played the 5 and had a pretty damn good year doing it)...

But you could have a situation where the longer, more athletic Henry guards the 5 and Williamson guards the 4, but they switch roles on the offensive side kind of like that year Morrison moved to the high post so Pearson could eat in the low post.

Williamson may also never be a starter here and be a kind of switch 4/5 tweener coming off the bench for either the 4 or 5 and then transfers after two seasons -- if he can give you a solid 12-15 mpg spelling either forward spot off the bench, I'd call that good.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I mean, we're also only going back to 2014 and most of the people we named either just graduated or are still playing (and you forgot Jalen's senior season where he played the 5 and had a pretty damn good year doing it)...

But you could have a situation where the longer, more athletic Henry guards the 5 and Williamson guards the 4, but they switch roles on the offensive side kind of like that year Morrison moved to the high post so Pearson could eat in the low post.

Williamson may also never be a starter here and be a kind of switch 4/5 tweener coming off the bench for either the 4 or 5 and then transfers after two seasons -- if he can give you a solid 12-15 mpg spelling either forward spot off the bench, I'd call that good.

Castro is mostly a perimeter player even though he’s 6-9, so even if we get him we need to find another 5 in the 2021 class.

Purely from a size perspective, I think Hasahn French is a terrific comp for Williamson. The kid is already a tank and he wouldn’t get pushed around in the A-10, but I have no idea whether he can play on this level.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The kid is already a tank and he wouldn’t get pushed around in the A-10, but I have no idea whether he can play on this level.

Neither does DP. Which means we will pursue him like crazy.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Castro is mostly a perimeter player even though he’s 6-9, so even if we get him we need to find another 5 in the 2021 class.

Purely from a size perspective, I think Hasahn French is a terrific comp for Williamson. The kid is already a tank and he wouldn’t get pushed around in the A-10, but I have no idea whether he can play on this level.
we are looking at like 5 guys with very good offers sheets. Williamson and Gadsden are two of the biggest size wise but currently have the two worst offer sheets. Hope Dave found them real early and maybe COVID could be an advantage. not sure though as I have seen neither play real games. Castro is going to be a tough get but he seems like Dave's dream player at the 3 or 4 spot with tremendous size. Recruiting against upper to mid A10 teams has never been Dave's strength but could definitely prove me wrong if he signs Castro next year.
I don't see the comp of Williamson and French other than being undersized players. French is very agile for someone that heavy

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
we are looking at like 5 guys with very good offers sheets. Williamson and Gadsden are two of the biggest size wise but currently have the two worst offer sheets. Hope Dave found them real early and maybe COVID could be an advantage. not sure though as I have seen neither play real games. Castro is going to be a tough get but he seems like Dave's dream player at the 3 or 4 spot with tremendous size. Recruiting against upper to mid A10 teams has never been Dave's strength but could definitely prove me wrong if he signs Castro next year.
I don't see the comp of Williamson and French other than being undersized players. French is very agile for someone that heavy

The pandemic is the only reason Mason has a chance to land a kid like Castro, who undoubtedly would’ve blown up this summer and been bound for some P6 school. He can really shoot it for a
6-9 guy.

With no AAU season, it will be interesting to see if he and our other targets sign in November or wait until the spring and try to use HS ball to attract better offers. I’m sure the staff will be pushing them to commit as early as possible.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
One of our priority recruits for 2021, 6-9 combo F Rafael Castro, has now picked up offers from Seton Hall, Dayton, vcu and UMass.

We’re fishing in deep water on this one, but we were his first offer from other than low majors. Let’s hope that means something.
We are a low mid major. so he probably wont commit here.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

We spend about twice as much in basketball than your average low mid program. Also, we may complain about averaging 4K a game, but some of these programs struggle to get 1,300 in the stands.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer

giphy.gif