2021 Recruiting

with Jordan Miller, Daddy Haidara, Otis Frazier III, and now TJ Gadsen on the roster next year, I would think we are done recruiting the wing position.

Let's get another shooter, and two 4/5's.

with Jordan Miller, Daddy Haidara, Otis Frazier III, and now TJ Gadsen on the roster next year, I would think we are done recruiting the wing position.

Let's get another shooter, and two 4/5's.

The wing is 60% of our team though, unless you're separating 2/3's and 3/4's which you don't seem to be doing...you should, unless a wing can defend 2-4 about the same (most cant)

I agree we need one big body who is decent. The rest talent > position. Great if we could get two good big body prospects in here but....

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
So Gadsden doesn't come for another year, and we'll have Frazier, Haidara, and Miller all on the team to play the 3/4 type spots. Obviously Frazier might be more of a 2/3, but you basically have some nice options at all three spots.

I suspect they will try to get some sort of big even if its an athletic big like a Rafael Castro (not saying hes coming, looks like he probably would be a reach as much as I'd like him). Oduro and Henry at the least need a counterpart (and right now Henry is more of a 4 probably although with the additional length elsewhere, he probably can play some 5). Probably where Zaakir Williamson would fit nicely.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
So Gadsden doesn't come for another year, and we'll have Frazier, Haidara, and Miller all on the team to play the 3/4 type spots. Obviously Frazier might be more of a 2/3, but you basically have some nice options at all three spots.

I suspect they will try to get some sort of big even if its an athletic big like a Rafael Castro (not saying hes coming, looks like he probably would be a reach as much as I'd like him). Oduro and Henry at the least need a counterpart (and right now Henry is more of a 4 probably although with the additional length elsewhere, he probably can play some 5). Probably where Zaakir Williamson would fit nicely.

Defensively, Miller is much more suited to guard the 3. I didn’t see much over the last two years that says he will match up well against 4s that aren’t playing mostly on the perimeter.

We’ll see with Daddy, I didn’t see him play last year so I’m not in a position to say where he can guard, but looking at his listed height/weight, he’s doesn’t inspire confidence that he wouldn’t get pushed around by A10 4s. Before anyone comes in with the freshman make the biggest jump physically argument, that only holds true for 18-19 year olds, Daddy’s like 30 so I don’t think we are going to see a TON of physical development from him, only fine tuning the skills he’s got. I’ve got him projecting as a 3 backing up miller.

Henry will earn the minutes at the 4 next season backing up AJ.

None of this really matters for next season because we have the best 4 in the A10 in AJ Wilson and he should be playing a minimum of 32 a game. Those last 8 can get split between Henry and Miller if you wanna play small ball. It gets more dicey once Gadsden gets on campus the following year, assuming we don’t land another big.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Hope they have some backup plans. Maybe that community college kid will be interested.

Our staff was building a strong relationship with Castro long before any of these other schools decided to offer. He’s also one of our priority recruits in the 21 class, not sure where he falls on the pecking order for Florida, Xavier and Seton Hall. Maybe that makes a difference.

Not saying I think we’re gonna get him, but it’s not yet time to go to Plan B — kinda hard to have a backup plan for a 6-9 guy who blocks shots and hits 3s. They don’t grow on trees.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Tape looks good to me. Also, his height. Sign him up.

It's also probably pretty early to be offering a community college player for 2021. He'll pick up more offers, watch.
That grainy tape of him balling over a guy 5 inches shorter than him has you sold? I’m all about size but count me out on that kid. Top 25 philly kid kid that has been to two jucos and will still be a soph at 23 is not it for me. Also look up his twitter likes when you get the chance.... might make you change your mind

FreeGunston12

All-American
That grainy tape of him balling over a guy 5 inches shorter than him has you sold? I’m all about size but count me out on that kid. Top 25 philly kid kid that has been to two jucos and will still be a soph at 23 is not it for me. Also look up his twitter likes when you get the chance.... might make you change your mind
His tape is more grainy than what other prospect of ours?

And yes, the tape looks good despite the dreaded "low level of competition". He looks to have good footwork, good shooting form, runs the floor well, jumps well, all especially for a 6-10 guy. Apparently, the coaches see something they like too.

I also do not care one bit about the age of any of these guys. Not everyone has to take a traditional path to a 4-year college right out of high school. As someone else pointed out, the best player in program history was 30 before he was done playing. What difference does it make?

This guy looks like the best prospect we've got for a 5 for the 2021 class so far. I'm willing to bet that he picks up another A-10 caliber offer or better before all is said and done.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
His tape is more grainy than what other prospect of ours?

And yes, the tape looks good despite the dreaded "low level of competition". He looks to have good footwork, good shooting form, runs the floor well, jumps well, all especially for a 6-10 guy. Apparently, the coaches see something they like too.

I also do not care one bit about the age of any of these guys. Not everyone has to take a traditional path to a 4-year college right out of high school. As someone else pointed out, the best player in program history was 30 before he was done playing. What difference does it make?

This guy looks like the best prospect we've got for a 5 for the 2021 class so far. I'm willing to bet that he picks up another A-10 caliber offer or better before all is said and done.
I haven’t seen grainier video against lesser talent since Daddy’s YouTube tapes.

maybe he will get better offers and he is reaching d1 level at a late age. I think comparing him to our 30 year old is a bit different although I’m not old enough to know. Did our 30 year old JUCO for 2 years and receive 0 offers or was he in the military?

he is our best option at the 5 to date but damn it’s early and Paulsen has to have others in mind I would hope. I never get the hype we give to kids that 350+ other D1 programs have passed on. Is our recruiting so elite that we consistently snag game changers with 0-2 other offers? OTis the only one that comes to mind for me.

FreeGunston12

All-American
I haven’t seen grainier video against lesser talent since Daddy’s YouTube tapes.

maybe he will get better offers and he is reaching d1 level at a late age. I think comparing him to our 30 year old is a bit different although I’m not old enough to know. Did our 30 year old JUCO for 2 years and receive 0 offers or was he in the military?

he is our best option at the 5 to date but damn it’s early and Paulsen has to have others in mind I would hope. I never get the hype we give to kids that 350+ other D1 programs have passed on. Is our recruiting so elite that we consistently snag game changers with 0-2 other offers? OTis the only one that comes to mind for me.
Know what other big man attended two jucos before Mason? Shevon Thompson.

Darryl Monroe and Dre Smith are other juco successes that come to mind since my days as a Mason fan.

Other fans that have been around longer had some other examples of older players that have worked out well in our history.

And you're delusional if you think that his video is "grainier" than our other recruits. He has a banner with scores and commentators in half that highlight video. He plays with and against other DI talent.

Other offers will come to McFarlane. Sometime being first isn't a bad thing. Why so negative, sleeperpick? What do you know that our coaching staff doesn't?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
We all have no idea what McFarlane will amount to. Maybe he gets lots of D1 attention or maybe Mason pulls back if they investigate more and don't like what they see. The latter does happen. Just look at what happened with the kid who went to Elon and that Noah Waterman kid who was also 6'10.

Obviously the staff sees something, or some potential, that made them want to offer him. The staff over the last 2-3 years has made it a point to go after lengthier and more athletic players and McFarlane looks like that. I have no clue what the competition is, but at least from the few minutes, he looks like an athletic 6'10 player.

We'll just have to wait and see.

FreeGunston12

All-American
We all have no idea what McFarlane will amount to. Maybe he gets lots of D1 attention or maybe Mason pulls back if they investigate more and don't like what they see. The latter does happen. Just look at what happened with the kid who went to Elon and that Noah Waterman kid who was also 6'10.

Obviously the staff sees something, or some potential, that made them want to offer him. The staff over the last 2-3 years has made it a point to go after lengthier and more athletic players and McFarlane looks like that. I have no clue what the competition is, but at least from the few minutes, he looks like an athletic 6'10 player.

We'll just have to wait and see.
Hunter Woods? What's the story I missed there? CAA all-rookie team. Had 20 and 15 against W&M in the CAA semi-final. Played 29 mpg.

Did the staff pull back from him? If so, that was clearly a mistake. I thought they just failed to get a commitment over Elon.