2021 Recruiting

Pablo

Hall of Famer
That grainy tape of him balling over a guy 5 inches shorter than him has you sold? I’m all about size but count me out on that kid. Top 25 philly kid kid that has been to two jucos and will still be a soph at 23 is not it for me. Also look up his twitter likes when you get the chance.... might make you change your mind

McFarlane attended a Philly public high school that is not known for its academics, so this may have adversely impacted his progression -https://www.usnews.com/education/be...-public-schools/fels-samuel-high-school-17217.

Frankly, I'm amazed that Paulsen is recruiting a JUCO player.

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Hunter Woods? What's the story I missed there? CAA all-rookie team. Had 20 and 15 against W&M in the CAA semi-final. Played 29 mpg.

Did the staff pull back from him? If so, that was clearly a mistake. I thought they just failed to get a commitment over Elon.

im not sure, so I probably shouldn’t have mentioned him. My general point was things change or players go in other directions even after receiving an offer.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Offers from USC, Bonnies, Tulsa, and Ohio right now. Not exactly sure why we’re going after another 3 for this class when there seems to be needs elsewhere.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The guy is a 4 star!

Oh yeah don’t get me wrong I’d love to have someone of his caliber on the team, I just question the wisdom when we just signed Gadsden last week, and both Miller and Daddy will be on the roster when the 2021 guys get on campus. We really gonna roster 4x 3 guards? Sounds like more roster management issues waiting for us.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Oh yeah don’t get me wrong I’d love to have someone of his caliber on the team, I just question the wisdom when we just signed Gadsden last week, and both Miller and Daddy will be on the roster when the 2021 guys get on campus. We really gonna roster 4x 3 guards? Sounds like more roster management issues waiting for us.

I could be very wrong, but maybe they think this kid projects more as a “4” and has more growing to do? I know he is playing shooting guard small forward now but obviously there has to be logic...this just can’t be a continuation of the 6’7 fetish hewitt has lol. I’ve seen him at 6’7 and 6’8.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I could be very wrong, but maybe they think this kid projects more as a “4” and has more growing to do? I know he is playing shooting guard small forward now but obviously there has to be logic...this just can’t be a continuation of the 6’7 fetish hewitt has lol. I’ve seen him at 6’7 and 6’8.

So we sign a 6-7 kid for 2021 (Gadsden) then offer a kid who’s listed as 6-7 and 6-8 (when in doubt always take the shorter number, and are tied to another kid who’s listed as a SG/SF (same as both Gadsden and Charles) all within 1 week? I know it certainly happens occasionally, but I wouldn’t bank on any of these kids getting any taller. If they think any of them project as a 4 then they would absolutely 100% have to redshirt to bulk up for a year before they’d be physically ready to play the 4 in the A10. Just doesn’t really seem to make a lot of sense given we JUST signed Gadsden last week.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So we sign a 6-7 kid for 2021 (Gadsden) then offer a kid who’s listed as 6-7 and 6-8 (when in doubt always take the shorter number, and are tied to another kid who’s listed as a SG/SF (same as both Gadsden and Charles) all within 1 week? I know it certainly happens occasionally, but I wouldn’t bank on any of these kids getting any taller. If they think any of them project as a 4 then they would absolutely 100% have to redshirt to bulk up for a year before they’d be physically ready to play the 4 in the A10. Just doesn’t really seem to make a lot of sense given we JUST signed Gadsden last week.

I don't see a problem with that if they are on board and Henry is a good successor to AJ. Miller, as a senior, should be able to shift between the 3 and 4 his senior year (since he's already done it the last two years anyway) and give enough backup minutes to Henry to be able to red-shirt someone else.

You'd have Otis and Dady and Gadsden or Johnson or Dudinski or Ilkur or Castro (provided we get any of those targets) backing up Miller at the 3 when he shifts to the 4 when Henry is on the bench, the other one will red-shirt as they make the move to the 4 (again, contingent on landing another 6'7-6'9 wing prospect in the 2021 class).

Either Otis starts at the 2 or Kolek or Polite.

It's also possible that Gadsden comes in at 210 his freshman year and immediately plays at the 4 and you don't have to redshirt anyone.

Garrett Johnson is also listed as a SG, so that might also declog the 3 position if he can play the 2.

Herndon

All-Conference
I don't see a problem with that if they are on board and Henry is a good successor to AJ. Miller, as a senior, should be able to shift between the 3 and 4 his senior year (since he's already done it the last two years anyway) and give enough backup minutes to Henry to be able to red-shirt someone else.

You'd have Otis and Dady and Gadsden or Johnson or Dudinski or Ilkur or Castro (provided we get any of those targets) backing up Miller at the 3 when he shifts to the 4 when Henry is on the bench, the other one will red-shirt as they make the move to the 4 (again, contingent on landing another 6'7-6'9 wing prospect in the 2021 class).

Either Otis starts at the 2 or Kolek or Polite.

It's also possible that Gadsden comes in at 210 his freshman year and immediately plays at the 4 and you don't have to redshirt anyone.

Garrett Johnson is also listed as a SG, so that might also declog the 3 position if he can play the 2.
I would argue stop thinking in terms of ones and twos and threes and fours.

There's a big, and then four other guys of varying heights who distribute the ball handling and shooting duties between them.

Sometimes you're going to have three "2"s on the floor at the same time, sometimes you're going to have three "4"s on the floor at the same time, sometimes you're going to have to point guards and a combo-guard on the floor at the same time.

The point is, positions 2 through 4 are so fluid nowadays that they're almost meaningless.

Most teams have a big, a ball handler, and three wings of various sizes.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

There's a big, and then four other guys of varying heights who distribute the ball handling and shooting duties between them.

Sometimes you're going to have three "2"s on the floor at the same time, sometimes you're going to have three "4"s on the floor at the same time, sometimes you're going to have to point guards and a combo-guard on the floor at the same time.

The point is, positions 2 through 4 are so fluid nowadays that they're almost meaningless.

I get your point.... but in today's basketball you can't get away with a ball handler, 3 "wings" that can't shoot and a center or you play Paulsen's unsuccessful offense of the past 5 years. I thought we were trying to get away from that.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I get your point.... but in today's basketball you can't get away with a ball handler, 3 "wings" that can't shoot and a center or you play Paulsen's unsuccessful offense of the past 5 years. I thought we were trying to get away from that.

Gadsden shot 40% from 3 from his highlight video so he supposedly can shoot and I think Otis Frazier can shoot as well. But I definitely agree that if you have 3 wings, you have to have a shooter or two.

It just seems interesting to offer another 6'7 kid who seems to play like the 2 that were just signed unless his game differs. Hopefully the staff knows what they are doing and has a plan for the upgraded athleticism.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Gadsden shot 40% from 3 from his highlight video so he supposedly can shoot and I think Otis Frazier can shoot as well. But I definitely agree that if you have 3 wings, you have to have a shooter or two.

It just seems interesting to offer another 6'7 kid who seems to play like the 2 that were just signed unless his game differs. Hopefully the staff knows what they are doing and has a plan for the upgraded athleticism.
Who know's right. Daddy was projected as a PG/SG at 6 foot 6 that didn't look like dribbling was his strong suit last year. In all honesty Daddy seems to project as a 3. The roster is filled with 2's and 3's after this year... a couple of those projected to be able to shoot (Kolek, Otis, Gadsden). We need some BEEF so I too am surprised we are offering a bunch of 6-6 6-7 wings rather than some more beef because it seems our roster is very tall and thin in the future with "limited shooting still". I hope to god Gadsden shoots 40% from 3 lollll

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Yeah you can stop thinking of that, until you have to play defense against all the other teams in the A10 with more traditional rosters.

Do any of these guys have the speed to keep up with quick A10 SGs? Are they strong enough to bang down low with legit PFs? A roster full of tweeners usually ends up being good at nothing at having some glaring weaknesses defensively.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Who know's right. Daddy was projected as a PG/SG at 6 foot 6 that didn't look like dribbling was his strong suit last year. In all honesty Daddy seems to project as a 3. The roster is filled with 2's and 3's after this year... a couple of those projected to be able to shoot (Kolek, Otis, Gadsden). We need some BEEF so I too am surprised we are offering a bunch of 6-6 6-7 wings rather than some more beef because it seems our roster is very tall and thin in the future with "limited shooting still". I hope to god Gadsden shoots 40% from 3 lollll

Lol JJ Reddick, one of the best college 3pt shooters of all time, shot a career 40% from 3.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Lol JJ Reddick, one of the best college 3pt shooters of all time, shot a career 40% from 3.
Shit JDS was like 33% in high school and we thought he could finally be Paulsen's savior... I highly doubt this kid shoots 40% from 3 was that tall and had barely any scholarship offers. Just almost impossible to be true. but OK lol