2021 Recruiting

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I just don't understand Paulsen's plan for offense and defense quite yet (definitely don't understand what offense he will create for this year) and I have no idea what he will do for rim protection once AJ leaves or offense when you don't have a Javon or AJ to rely on.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
To be fair, Otis is already listed at 6’6 205, which is almost 20 pounds bigger than Miller was his sophomore season. And Boyd has enough beef for the entire team stored in his beard.

Im not super concerned about shooting next year. I don’t think we will be a lights out shooting team, but if we get some more consistency from Greene and Miller, we should actually be fairly competent even without the freshmen. Hartwell, Greene, Miller, Boyd, AJ can all shoot.

As for Gadsden, the video said catch and shoot 3s, which I think is a major distinction. We don’t know how well he can create for himself or come off a screen and shoot. He was playing on a stacked team (Garrett Johnson and Darius Johnson were his backcourt mates). Adam Ayalew also said he was the most improved player in the region last year, so sounds like he was a bit of a late bloomer which is why he probably didn’t have a ton of interest.

Last edited:
Yeah you can stop thinking of that, until you have to play defense against all the other teams in the A10 with more traditional rosters.

Do any of these guys have the speed to keep up with quick A10 SGs? Are they strong enough to bang down low with legit PFs? A roster full of tweeners usually ends up being good at nothing at having some glaring weaknesses defensively.

Interesting...never thought of it that way, good point.

I'm a big fan of interchangeable parts...one of my favorite teams of all time was 1989 Illinois...a final four team that had everybody mostly in the 6'4"-6'6" range with just one big they ever really used.

Of course when you have a Kendall Gill, Nick Anderson...basically regardless of how you recruit it all boils down to whether they can just ball or not.

Everything else mostly takes care of itself. There's a big danger of getting guys in just because they have enticing size at a position who just can't play. Okoloji is the prime example of that recently.

I would also agree with your point...also at some point three-four guard lineups with undersized, middling talent isn't going to get it done, nor will AJ, Gadsden types at the five in this league.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I just don't understand Paulsen's plan for offense and defense quite yet (definitely don't understand what offense he will create for this year) and I have no idea what he will do for rim protection once AJ leaves or offense when you don't have a Javon or AJ to rely on.

It’s May 29. Summer school hasn’t even started yet, much less workouts. What is there to understand?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It’s May 29. Summer school hasn’t even started yet, much less workouts. What is there to understand?
Jim, I don't need the sarcasm. I don't understand what Paulsen is going to implement for a successful offense next year. Nothing he has used over the past 5 years is going to work with the roster we have. I don't believe Paulsen to be super innovative and he can at times be a bit stuck in his ways (using an offense the entire last year for a kid that played 9 games) is just one example of that. I am curious to see what he drafts next year to optimize AJ, Javon and Jordan. Unless he thinks one of the 3 freshman are going to be the focal points of the offense he already knows what he is has mostly. He should already have a plan one would think. I am just curious how it all pans out. I know you probably have the utmost confidence in it being perfectly crafted, but most of us probably don't.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah you can stop thinking of that, until you have to play defense against all the other teams in the A10 with more traditional rosters.

Do any of these guys have the speed to keep up with quick A10 SGs? Are they strong enough to bang down low with legit PFs? A roster full of tweeners usually ends up being good at nothing at having some glaring weaknesses defensively.

How many A-10 teams play with a traditional roster? Dayton barely played with a true big, URI’s “center” was 6-8 and SLU’s main big man is 6-7.

Adding length, athleticism and versatility can only help us compete in a league where many teams use 4 perimeter players at the same time.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Jim, I don't need the sarcasm. I don't understand what Paulsen is going to implement for a successful offense next year. Nothing he has used over the past 5 years is going to work with the roster we have. I don't believe Paulsen to be super innovative and he can at times be a bit stuck in his ways (using an offense the entire last year for a kid that played 9 games) is just one example of that. I am curious to see what he drafts next year to optimize AJ, Javon and Jordan. Unless he thinks one of the 3 freshman are going to be the focal points of the offense he already knows what he is has mostly. He should already have a plan one would think. I am just curious how it all pans out. I know you probably have the utmost confidence in it being perfectly crafted, but most of us probably don't.

I’m sure he does have a plan. Kinda hard to start putting it in place when the gyms are locked and the team is meeting via Zoom. Just not sure why you are already complaining about something that hasn’t even happened yet.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
How many A-10 teams play with a traditional roster? Dayton barely played with a true big, URI’s “center” was 6-8 and SLU’s main big man is 6-7.

Adding length, athleticism and versatility can only help us compete in a league where many teams use 4 perimeter players at the same time.

Richmond, Duquesne, St Bonnies, Davidson, UMASS all have tradtional roster builds and run pretty traditional lineups. Dayton with Toppin gone is certainly trending back to a traditional roster makeup (although I'll argue that physically he could have been used as a traditional big at 6'9 but he was just a freak athlete), SLU plays short but their roster makeup is still not completely positionless, French is 6'7 but 245 pounds. Jordan Miller is 6'6 and 190 soaking wet. You think that Miller (or any of these wings we are recruiting) would be able to hold their own in the paint there? LaSalle plays short too but Crosswell weighs 250, who's blocking him out?

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

This 2021 class will have to replace about 50-55 minutes a game between AJ and Calixte graduating and it's not looking like we are going after a ton of guys to replace those minutes.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Richmond, Duquesne, St Bonnies, Davidson, UMASS all have tradtional roster builds and run pretty traditional lineups. Dayton with Toppin gone is certainly trending back to a traditional roster makeup (although I'll argue that physically he could have been used as a traditional big at 6'9 but he was just a freak athlete), SLU plays short but their roster makeup is still not completely positionless, French is 6'7 but 245 pounds. Jordan Miller is 6'6 and 190 soaking wet. You think that Miller (or any of these wings we are recruiting) would be able to hold their own in the paint there? LaSalle plays short too but Crosswell weighs 250, who's blocking him out?

Ian Boyd will block that fat boy out...

To be fair, when we beat Dayton two season ago, Javon Greene had a crucial block out of Obi Toppin near the end of the game. It’s more about positioning than it is size, because if they are running over you, that’s a foul.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

To be fair, when we beat Dayton two season ago, Javon Greene had a crucial block out of Obi Toppin near the end of the game. It’s more about positioning than it is size, because if they are running over you, that’s a foul.

There's at least the argument there (even though i'd argue that over the course of a game size will wear down your guys and you won't be able to keep getting position), unfortunately Boyd will be gone before 2021 hits campus.

These are just examples, but these heights/weights are the types of players other schools have and are bringing in that we will have to guard, and when you compare them against the types of players we are recruiting and looking at who they will replace you see a greater need for actual bigs in 2021 and we aren't getting it.

Herndon

All-Conference

Good post.

I get where you're coming from. I agree one way, but not as much the other, and I'll handle the disagreement before I handle the agreement:

How many legit Kevin McHale/Tim Duncan (not that level obviously, but style) PF's are there anymore, that want to put you in the torture chamber down low and eat you up on the block? We've got arguably the best 4 in the conference this coming year, and he's a face up guy who beats you with quickness and athleticism.

IMO, you're going to have better luck guarding him with a "big 3" than with a "quick 5", and I think more often than not, that's what you're going to be looking at, especially in the A10. If we were playing Kansas or UVA or somebody all the time, then fine, but I think the odds of us being consistently punshed for playing a wing at 4 are pretty small, especially considering that the other teams traditional big is going to have to guard Jordan Miller at the other end.

Maybe once in a while, but more often than not, we win that matchup, and I'm a man who believes in making the 51% play instead of the 49% play.

As for keepign up with smallish 2's, I mean that's a fair point. It's entirely valid.

That said, that was sort of my point about sometimes you'll have 2 point guards and a combo guard, additionally the idea of getting long, quick guys is precisely that their length can give guys problems. Now, are we recruiting a bunch of Scottie Pippens and Bruce Bowens and Kawhi Leonards and Jayson Tatum's? No, obviously not, but Tatum is the idea. Long, athletic defenders that are quick enough to bother smaller players with their size, and big enough to bug bigger players with their quickness.

Anyhow, I hear you, but I still think the concept is sound, especially if you're not dealing with an army of 6'7 clones, but rather a spectrum of guys between 6'4 and 6'8, who are all long and quick for their size.

To back up my argument that I'm more worried about small quick guys than big, tall guys, here are some A10 starters from last year.

Looking at the top end of the conference, they started:

Dayton 6'1, 6'5, 6'7,
Richmond 6'0, 6'4, 6'7
Rhode Island 6'3, 6'6, 6'8
St. Louis 6'2, 6'3, 6'7
Bonnies 6'5, 6'4, 6'8
Duquesense 6'3, 6'5, 6'5
Davidson 6'5, 6'5, 6'8

(source: https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Atlantic-10-Conference/10/visual-depth-charts )

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
This 2021 class will have to replace about 50-55 minutes a game between AJ and Calixte graduating and it's not looking like we are going after a ton of guys to replace those minutes.

AJ’s replacement is Henry and he’s already on the team. They’re also going hard after Castro who is gonna be a 4.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Croswell transferred to Providence so we don’t have to worry about him anymore. And we still have 3 more open slots in 21, why are you assuming we’re not going to add another big? There is a lot of time between now and the early signing period, and there’s a lot up in the air because of the pandemic. It has literally upended the recruiting calendar.

ALSO: I’m shocked you included Richmond, which starts one of the smallest backcourts in the country. Beyond Golden at 6-10, they go 6-7, 6-4, 6-0 and 5-9. They’re not a traditional team in any sense.

My question would be, what is Mason under Paulsen known for/good at/our strengths? How do we utilize this and make other A-10 rosters play to our strengths? Are the recruits we're going after reflecting a break from whatever this strategy was/has been? Is Brion's open tonight?

Good post, and I'm really excited about Boyd being back for a lot of reasons. Gives us a lot of lineup flexibility/versatility to attack A-10 rosters how Paulsen sees fit.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Good post.

I get where you're coming from. I agree one way, but not as much the other, and I'll handle the disagreement before I handle the agreement:

How many legit Kevin McHale/Tim Duncan (not that level obviously, but style) PF's are there anymore, that want to put you in the torture chamber down low and eat you up on the block? We've got arguably the best 4 in the conference this coming year, and he's a face up guy who beats you with quickness and athleticism.

IMO, you're going to have better luck guarding him with a "big 3" than with a "quick 5", and I think more often than not, that's what you're going to be looking at, especially in the A10. If we were playing Kansas or UVA or somebody all the time, then fine, but I think the odds of us being consistently punshed for playing a wing at 4 are pretty small, especially considering that the other teams traditional big is going to have to guard Jordan Miller at the other end.

Maybe once in a while, but more often than not, we win that matchup, and I'm a man who believes in making the 51% play instead of the 49% play.

As for keepign up with smallish 2's, I mean that's a fair point. It's entirely valid.

That said, that was sort of my point about sometimes you'll have 2 point guards and a combo guard, additionally the idea of getting long, quick guys is precisely that their length can give guys problems. Now, are we recruiting a bunch of Scottie Pippens and Bruce Bowens and Kawhi Leonards and Jayson Tatum's? No, obviously not, but Tatum is the idea. Long, athletic defenders that are quick enough to bother smaller players with their size, and big enough to bug bigger players with their quickness.

Anyhow, I hear you, but I still think the concept is sound, especially if you're not dealing with an army of 6'7 clones, but rather a spectrum of guys between 6'4 and 6'8, who are all long and quick for their size.

To back up my argument that I'm more worried about small quick guys than big, tall guys, here are some A10 starters from last year.

Looking at the top end of the conference, they started:

Dayton 6'1, 6'5, 6'7,
Richmond 6'0, 6'4, 6'7
Rhode Island 6'3, 6'6, 6'8
St. Louis 6'2, 6'3, 6'7
Bonnies 6'5, 6'4, 6'8
Duquesense 6'3, 6'5, 6'5
Davidson 6'5, 6'5, 6'8

(source: https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Atlantic-10-Conference/10/visual-depth-charts )
Michael Hughes is 6 foot 8 for Duquesne and unless Golden shrunk 3 inches you missed him as well

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Who know's right. Daddy was projected as a PG/SG at 6 foot 6 that didn't look like dribbling was his strong suit last year. In all honesty Daddy seems to project as a 3. The roster is filled with 2's and 3's after this year... a couple of those projected to be able to shoot (Kolek, Otis, Gadsden). We need some BEEF so I too am surprised we are offering a bunch of 6-6 6-7 wings rather than some more beef because it seems our roster is very tall and thin in the future with "limited shooting still". I hope to god Gadsden shoots 40% from 3 lollll

Maybe I read/saw it wrong, but I thought it said he shot 40% from deep on the highlight video. Maybe they curved the percentage a bit haha.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Maybe I read/saw it wrong, but I thought it said he shot 40% from deep on the highlight video. Maybe they curved the percentage a bit haha.
he would be close to an NCAA record LOL and be Mason's best player of all time if that translates lol

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
he would be close to an NCAA record LOL and be Mason's best player of all time if that translates lol

Depends on the volume of shots. Jamal Hartwell shot 44.6% his freshman season, but he didn't shoot a high volume.

The video did say he shot 40% from catch and shoot 3s, not necessarily 40% of all his 3-point attempts.