2021 Recruiting

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'd like to see Skinn get a shot at like a MAAC school or somewhere. Not sure jumping into the A10 as your first HC gig is a good idea.

I mean, maybe, but Ashley Howard made the jump, and while we don't know how his record is going to shake out he's recruiting like gangbusters over at La Salle.

Kevin Keatts went from Hargrave assistant to Louisville assistant to UNCW head coach to NC State head coach in the span of 6 years. Shaka Smart went from Florida assistant to vcu with no head coaching experience.

I think if you've got it you've got it. And, sure, there might be an adjustment period when he takes over as head coach somewhere, but if he's good enough for the A-10 in a few years, he'll be good enough for the A-10 now.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Kevin Keatts went from Hargrave assistant to Louisville assistant to UNCW head coach to NC State head coach in the span of 6 years.

https://gopack.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/kevin-keatts/3531:

"Prior to arriving at Louisville, Keatts served as the head coach at Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Va. In 10 seasons with two separate stints at Hargrave (1999-2001, 2003-2011), he compiled a 263-17 record with two national prep championships (2004, 2008), three runner-up finishes (2005, 2006, 2009) and two other appearances among the final four prep teams (2007, 2010).

Keatts, who was inducted into Hargrave's Hall of Fame in 2011, won his second national prep title in 2008 with an unblemished 29-0 record – the school's first undefeated season. His teams lost one or fewer games six times.

Hargrave produced 103 players who signed NCAA Division I men's basketball scholarships during his 10 seasons and 18 others played on the NCAA Division II level.

He has coached nine players at the prep level who have reached the NBA, including Joe Alexander, Jordan Crawford, Josh Howard, Vernon Macklin, Mike Scott, Marreese Speights, Sam Young, David West and Korleone Young."

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Tony isn’t taking a MAAC-level job. P6 assistants don’t need to go that route to get to the A-10 anymore.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Don’t look now but Dayton just signed another 4 star top 50 in the country wing. Maybe we can catch some trickle down recruiting????

JPgmuswim

Starter
Don’t look now but Dayton just signed another 4 star top 50 in the country wing. Maybe we can catch some trickle down recruiting????
Wait another top 50 to go with the one they got 2 days ago? They are gonna start dominating this league for years.

Wonder if Grant is smart enough to not jump back into a P5 job.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah they definitely are out recruiting the conference but they are bound to have one of these recruits be a bust at some point, no?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Wait another top 50 to go with the one they got 2 days ago? They are gonna start dominating this league for years.

Wonder if Grant is smart enough to not jump back into a P5 job.

I think the newest one was top-100, not top-50, but that’s nitpicking. They also have USC transfer Elijah Weaver sitting out and he was a 4-star top-50 coming out of HS. They are loading up to dominate the A-10.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I don’t think Grant will leave for a P5, but I think Dayton might if they end up running wild on the A10 for the next few years.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think the newest one was top-100, not top-50, but that’s nitpicking. They also have USC transfer Elijah Weaver sitting out and he was a 4-star top-50 coming out of HS. They are loading up to dominate the A-10.
per Dayton Twitter he was also a top 50... regardless they got two guys better than Castro lmaooooo... you know those fake offers you talk about? imagine Castro being one for a fellow A-10 team :(

JPgmuswim

Starter
per Dayton Twitter he was also a top 50... regardless they got two guys better than Castro lmaooooo... you know those fake offers you talk about? imagine Castro being one for a fellow A-10 team :(
Speaking of Castro, I’m guessing that may remove him from Dayton’s plans, looks like he’ll be headed to either Providence or Miami.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Speaking of Castro, I’m guessing that may remove him from Dayton’s plans, looks like he’ll be headed to either Providence or Miami.
they have 2 roster spots left so who knows he could still be in their plans... would assume they go snag a Center or PF with one of the 2 remaining spots maybe both

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Not that it matters to us either way, but it appears something is up with his recruiting. He was gonna commit a couple weeks ago and then called it off at the last minute ... Dayton probably said, uh we’ve got a top-50 kid on the line at your spot so we’re gonna need you to slow your roll.

Recruiting is a crazy game sometimes.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not that it matters to us either way, but it appears something is up with his recruiting. He was gonna commit a couple weeks ago and then called it off at the last minute ... Dayton probably said, uh we’ve got a top-50 kid on the line at your spot so we’re gonna need you to slow your roll.

Recruiting is a crazy game sometimes.

As Pablo said, maybe he should have left all 6 of his final schools open as options?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Super on brand with how current program is being run is if Paulsen signs his second best recruit ever because all the teams he chose over us all declined him.

Best recruit being AJ?

And yeah it would be, but if thats what happens with Castro and he says he's interested in Mason because of whatever is going on. Gladly take it but not holding my breath.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Best recruit being AJ?

And yeah it would be, but if thats what happens with Castro and he says he's interested in Mason because of whatever is going on. Gladly take it but not holding my breath.
AJ but yea... take Castro in a hot second considering the rest of the class and remaining prospects (Ilver being completely out of our league)... Just a joke of a situation if something like that happens