2021 Recruiting

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm to lazy to google and read but didn't the NCAA grant another year of eligibility? With that I'm wondering if they're holding onto them just in case any of our Seniors want to return. Also might be holding onto them to see if there are any solid decommits from other schools that no longer have scholarships remaining due to the extra year of eligibility rule.

Given our forward situation, I'd love for Cali to come back for a fifth year. As much as it would be nice to have Greene for a fifth year, the backcourt situation is already getting crowded as is and I don't want someone transferring or decommitting because they can't get any time on the court.

The Great PATSby

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Given our forward situation, I'd love for Cali to come back for a fifth year. As much as it would be nice to have Greene for a fifth year, the backcourt situation is already getting crowded as is and I don't want someone transferring or decommitting because they can't get any time on the court.

You're def right, we need another big with experience for next year. All we have is Oduro. If I read correctly, I think everyone, not just seniors get an additional year of eligibility so even if Javon stayed, it would still allow the younger guys to get the PT eventually over the course of their career. This year would pretty much be a red-shirt.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm to lazy to google and read but didn't the NCAA grant another year of eligibility? With that I'm wondering if they're holding onto them just in case any of our Seniors want to return. Also might be holding onto them to see if there are any solid decommits from other schools that no longer have scholarships remaining due to the extra year of eligibility rule.

I think you are right. I think anyone who wants to stay can be exempt from the roster limit. If you stay you get the exemption. Anyone can take it.

Yeah, my thinking is they are looking to see who might want to stay and maybe a decommit/transfer in the Spring 2021 signing period.

I also agree that another "more traditional" big is definitely needed, Cali staying around would be good, but at this point I'd like to see someone come in either as a Frosh or transfer, and compete with Oduro for minutes at the 5.

The Great PATSby

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm hoping AJ finds away to stick around until he's 26. Just saying. ;)

It's possible. I have a feeling that a lot less players will be going to Europe to play in the next 2 years. Based on listening to the ex-pats podcasts, it makes it seem like European teams are less financially stable. With recession and less cash flow due to the pandemic, I bet a lot of European teams will be facing turmoil for a little while. I wonder if the G-League will be similar as I'm sure they're all operating in the Red at the moment.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Any word from the insiders on Ilver or Charles? If we lose Greg and AJ and don't get another big man I think we are completely screwed because our best player next year Jordan will have to play out of position and cover 4's all game

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Any word from the insiders on Ilver or Charles? If we lose Greg and AJ and don't get another big man I think we are completely screwed because our best player next year Jordan will have to play out of position and cover 4's all game

Are we thinking Henry is going to stay a backup (or starting) 5?

We definitely need a big, that's for sure.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Are we thinking Henry is going to stay a backup (or starting) 5?

We definitely need a big, that's for sure.
Henry is a 4 that will probably be forced to play backup 5. Certainly not a traditional 5 unless he gains 30 lbs of muscle. Could turn into a Mike Mo type of player

He did a better job against Muzinsky than Oduro did but that is not saying a ton. Physically he was backed down and committed some fouls this past week because of strength issues against Belmont

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Henry is a 4 that will probably be forced to play backup 5. Certainly not a traditional 5 unless he gains 30 lbs of muscle. Could turn into a Mike Mo type of player

He did a better job against Muzinsky than Oduro did but that is not saying a ton. Physically he was backed down and committed some fouls this past week because of strength issues against Belmont

He probably needs to gain a good 10 lbs to be an effective starting 4, too.

Was just thinking if he gets a shot at the 4 next year, Miller can stay on the wing (mostly), provided we sign at least one forward who can play the 4. It would be a real disservice to Miller if he's stuck playing the 4 his entire senior season.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Henry will take over for AJ at the 4. I was glad to see he took a 3 in garbage time against Belmont — even though he bricked it, I like that he has the confidence to take it. We’re gonna need him to contribute next year.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He probably needs to gain a good 10 lbs to be an effective starting 4, too.

Was just thinking if he gets a shot at the 4 next year, Miller can stay on the wing (mostly), provided we sign at least one forward who can play the 4. It would be a real disservice to Miller if he's stuck playing the 4 his entire senior season.
which is the problem. but currently we have Henry and Oduro at the 4 and 5 next year.... Miller will have to play the 4 and maybe even the 5 at stretches if we don't sign a big man... which is very unknown at this point

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Henry will take over for AJ at the 4. I was glad to see he took a 3 in garbage time against Belmont — even though he bricked it, I like that he has the confidence to take it. We’re gonna need him to contribute next year.
the problem is none of us should have confidence that Paulsen signs a backup 5 capable of playing D1 basketball next year.. putting a lot of pressure on Miller, Henry and Oduro to not foul at all and to play 35 mins per game

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Hopefully our new coach will bring in a recruit or two with him. ;)
the problem is Brad and staff are seemingly so out of touch that they probably will lame duck him on a rebuilding year and see what happens next year... Next year could be really bad. Losing AJ and Javon is nutty for a team not bringing in folks to take over (maybe Kolek for Greene but their games are completely different). Hell even losing a big bodied Calixte is not looking promising even though he is super limited

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't see losing Greene as a big deal. With what we have coming up he won't be a net loss. If anything, I'm not gonna miss expecting him to hit dagger three's like he did in HS.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
the problem is Brad and staff are seemingly so out of touch that they probably will lame duck him on a rebuilding year and see what happens next year... Next year could be really bad. Losing AJ and Javon is nutty for a team not bringing in folks to take over (maybe Kolek for Greene but their games are completely different). Hell even losing a big bodied Calixte is not looking promising even though he is super limited
We're in a heap of trouble at the 4 and 5 next year barring a miracle.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don't see losing Greene as a big deal. With what we have coming up he won't be a net loss. If anything, I'm not gonna miss expecting him to hit dagger three's like he did in HS.
this is a bad take. We are definitely losing to Queens without Greene... only guard that can shoot and drive the basketball and has extremely active hands on defense.. he doesn't get nearly enough respect because he also has brain shattering slumps... when he is on his game he is a top tier A10 guard

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
this is a bad take. We are definitely losing to Queens without Greene... only guard that can shoot and drive the basketball and has extremely active hands on defense.. he doesn't get nearly enough respect because he also has brain shattering slumps... when he is on his game he is a top tier A10 guard

XJ has the makings of becoming that for us, but he's still got work to do, especially on D. We'll have to see what Ronald Polite can do.