2021 Recruiting

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
this is a bad take. We are definitely losing to Queens without Greene... only guard that can shoot and drive the basketball and has extremely active hands on defense.. he doesn't get nearly enough respect because he also has brain shattering slumps... when he is on his game he is a top tier A10 guard
This^^.

let’s not forget who led the team in points, assists, and steals last year. I agree that he goes through slumps but Javon has shown flashes of an all A10 type guard. Unfortunately he’s not the shooter we all thought he would be but he’s elite at getting to the rim and is our biggest defensive disrupter besides AJs blocks.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
XJ has the makings of becoming that for us, but he's still got work to do, especially on D. We'll have to see what Ronald Polite can do.
I really like XJ but don’t think his ceiling is anywhere close to Greene’s. Love that he is shooting the 3 ball and even making a couple but he is one of the worst on ball defenders I’ve ever witnessed. Jamal being the worst

ephoops

Starter
Assuming the NCAA changes the transfer rules and there are scholarships available, I can see DP bringing in at least one big man as a transfer, if not two.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Assuming the NCAA changes the transfer rules and there are scholarships available, I can see DP bringing in at least one big man as a transfer, if not two.
Based on the last 6 years, how can you see that happening? We've gone into seasons with extra scholarships in years where we absolutely could have taken a big man transfer, even under the old rules.

ephoops

Starter
Based on the last 6 years, how can you see that happening? We've gone into seasons with extra scholarships in years where we absolutely could have taken a big man transfer, even under the old rules.

With Wilson and Calixte leaving, he will need to replace them with transfers (assuming he is done recruiting the high school ranks). If the transfer rules change, DP will need to adapt to the "new normal."

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
With Wilson and Calixte leaving, he will need to replace them with transfers (assuming he is done recruiting the high school ranks). If the transfer rules change, DP will need to adapt to the "new normal."
the new normal has been in effect for 2 years... he hasn't adapted.. just like his teams can adapt to zones (non Howard soft zones) and his defense can't adapt to not playing with AJ and contain someone on the perimeter for once

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

"Will need to" and "will do" are two separate things. He's needed to do it for years now, including the years we've gone into a season with an open scholarship, and he didn't. I don't think any official rule change is going to change how he does business at this point.

ephoops

Starter
"Will need to" and "will do" are two separate things. He's needed to do it for years now, including the years we've gone into a season with an open scholarship, and he didn't. I don't think any official rule change is going to change how he does business at this point.

You may be right. We'll see.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
the new normal has been in effect for 2 years... he hasn't adapted.. just like his teams can adapt to zones (non Howard soft zones) and his defense can't adapt to not playing with AJ and contain someone on the perimeter for once

I don’t care what the normal is, or if he adjusts or not, he couldn’t land a single one of his top targets for HS players, what makes us think a transfer with options will even come here?

FreeGunston12

All-American
This would be the year to take transfers/known quantities from JUCO/ etc. There is going to be very little to base recruitment off of for under the radar types that we usually go after. If we had any advantage in recruiting, it was finding the occasional diamond in the rough. Now it would be total shots in the dark.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
This would be the year to take transfers/known quantities from JUCO/ etc. There is going to be very little to base recruitment off of for under the radar types that we usually go after. If we had any advantage in recruiting, it was finding the occasional diamond in the rough. Now it would be total shots in the dark.

agreed. Also with it being so quiet, let’s hope they are after some quality talent that nobody has bothered to tweet or notice mason is after yet.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
agreed. Also with it being so quiet, let’s hope they are after some quality talent that nobody has bothered to tweet or notice mason is after yet.
Are most highschools playing this year? AAU tournaments have generally wound down by this point so that high school ball can start after Thanksgiving. Might be part of the reason for the lull.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Are most highschools playing this year? AAU tournaments have generally wound down by this point so that high school ball can start after Thanksgiving. Might be part of the reason for the lull.

no idea.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I don’t care what the normal is, or if he adjusts or not, he couldn’t land a single one of his top targets for HS players, what makes us think a transfer with options will even come here?

Because with the new transfer rules in place, there are going to be P6 players getting run off like never before now. The 2,000 dudes in the transfer portal will be looking for playing time and a free education at another school.

Dave’s track record says he isn’t interested in transfers, but this is a whole new world coaches are operating in now. Hopefully he adjusts if he’s still at Mason beyond this season.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

The NCAA still hasn’t lifted the recruiting dead period because of COVID. Everybody who didn’t sign early is in limbo and so are schools with open slots. It’s all so uncertain.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Hopefully we are talking about someone like a Dave Odom. By then, this Dave should be gone.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Hopefully we are talking about someone like a Dave Odom. By then, this Dave should be gone.
Not quite sure a 75 year old retread who hasn’t coached in 10 years is a good pickup. Odom was last a good coach before many of our current players were born

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I just finished scanning through this thread to catch up after being away from the site for more than 8 months and, wow, it sounds like it was a brutal offseason at least as far as recruiting went. I feel really bad for you die hard fans. I commend you for sticking with it, but I feel for you given how the recruiting has gone, how the team looks after the first 3 games, and the lack of prospects for any real change on the horizon given all the current circumstances.

Only thing I have to add to this thread:
They were extending his [Paulsen's] contact a year at a time so he'd continue to be on for 4 years but that has stopped. No extensions with 2 years left shows me that he isn't producing for them.
I would not interpret it that way. If my memory is correct, his contract was structured as 5+2 (5 years with 2 option years). They exercised the each of the 2 option years after each of first 2 years. It was built into the contract from the start. I am not saying it means they are happy with his performance, but, it doesn't mean they are unhappy with it either.