2021 Recruiting

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I wish the kid all the best.

But once again, this worries me that someone Mason offered chose a lower league than the A10. Obviously it doesn't always happen and Markus IIver chose Wisconsin, Castro chose Providence etc. But it always concerns me when this happens. Obviously it varies and we have no idea how serious Mason was about this kid (or most recruits).

He didn’t have a spot here. We’ve got 2 left if everyone stays and both need to go to bigs.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yes I think it’s fair to say Gemini’s plan is a bit ambitious if the current staff is retained
Not to mention our current staff would have to completely reverse their recruiting strategy in hopes of keeping their jobs. Given the total lack of track record, they might have a chance at landing one "difference-maker"... maybe.

JPgmuswim

Starter
He didn’t have a spot here. We’ve got 2 left if everyone stays and both need to go to bigs.
What a new coach coming in and the 1 time transfer rule, we will be looking very different in a couple months. We may have 2 currently left but will probably be looking at 10 in April/May.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Not to mention our current staff would have to completely reverse their recruiting strategy in hopes of keeping their jobs. Given the total lack of track record, they might have a chance at landing one "difference-maker"... maybe.

Not saying I expect anything to improve dramatically on the recruiting front. But assuming Dave is brought back for a lame duck year, he’d have no reason not to swing for the fences and see what happens.

Go find some grad transfers looking for a change of scenery and immediate playing time — if they only have one year of eligibility left, it won’t matter to them that the coach is on thin ice.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I wish the kid all the best.

But once again, this worries me that someone Mason offered chose a lower league than the A10. Obviously it doesn't always happen and Markus IIver chose Wisconsin, Castro chose Providence etc. But it always concerns me when this happens. Obviously it varies and we have no idea how serious Mason was about this kid (or most recruits).
lol Peterson like our other 2021 recruits aren't A10 caliber.... maybe Gray can get back into the form he once had before a bad injury (P5 offers as a soph and none since). Otherwise we recruit CAA/lower level so they pick that because who wants to get smacked up on in the A10 with a coach that seems to have dementia.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yes I think it’s fair to say Gemini’s plan is a bit ambitious if the current staff is retained

It’s where we should focus, not necessarily what the coaches are going to do. We already swung and missed on a potential starting point guard (Darius Johnson) and forward (Rafael Castro) in 2021, so might as well turn to the transfer market.

If we can’t convince Kordell Charles to come here with two freaking Canadians on the coaching staff, I don’t know that it makes any kind of sense to keep these guys around.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
It’s where we should focus, not necessarily what the coaches are going to do. We already swung and missed on a potential starting point guard (Darius Johnson) and forward (Rafael Castro) in 2021, so might as well turn to the transfer market.

If we can’t convince Kordell Charles to come here with two freaking Canadians on the coaching staff, I don’t know that it makes any kind of sense to keep these guys around.

We’re not getting anyone worth a damn in the 22 class anyhow with the uncertainty over the coach’s future, so may as well hammer the transfer market

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
lol Peterson like our other 2021 recruits aren't A10 caliber.... maybe Gray can get back into the form he once had before a bad injury (P5 offers as a soph and none since). Otherwise we recruit CAA/lower level so they pick that because who wants to get smacked up on in the A10 with a coach that seems to have dementia.

You aren't wrong. Gray is a wild card and the hope is that he was overlooked because of the injury unless he never has been the same. Gladsden certainly didn't get high level offers, or many offers for that matter.

We will have to see if Gray even makes it to campus considering the coach status.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Not saying I expect anything to improve dramatically on the recruiting front. But assuming Dave is brought back for a lame duck year, he’d have no reason not to swing for the fences and see what happens.

Go find some grad transfers looking for a change of scenery and immediate playing time — if they only have one year of eligibility left, it won’t matter to them that the coach is on thin ice.
He'd have no reason not to other than I don't see that tiger changing its stripes (maybe pot belly pig growing longer legs is a better metaphor). I think that is Paulsen's biggest issue is his seeming refusal to change his approach to just about anything (offense, recruiting, transfers, etc.) even in the face of piss poor results.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
He'd have no reason not to other than I don't see that tiger changing its stripes (maybe pot belly pig growing longer legs is a better metaphor). I think that is Paulsen's biggest issue is his seeming refusal to change his approach to just about anything (offense, recruiting, transfers, etc.) even in the face of piss poor results.

He’s really not unusual in that regard. By the time coaches get to even Mason’s level in Division I, they’ve generally won a lot and they are stubborn about doing anything different than what they’ve had success with in the past. Lots of ego involved.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He’s really not unusual in that regard. By the time coaches get to even Mason’s level in Division I, they’ve generally won a lot and they are stubborn about doing anything different than what they’ve had success with in the past. Lots of ego involved.

When I heard he was studying Murray State's offense and the fact that Kier was gone I had some hope we were not going to see the same stagnant offense we saw last season deployed again this season. And with everyone coming back, I thought we'd be more aggressive with our 1-2-2 zone press on defense...but nope.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
When I heard he was studying Murray State's offense and the fact that Kier was gone I had some hope we were not going to see the same stagnant offense we saw last season deployed again this season. And with everyone coming back, I thought we'd be more aggressive with our 1-2-2 zone press on defense...but nope.

It feels like Dave’s coaching has regressed the last two seasons, which is a scary thought considering we’ve never cracked the top 100 of KenPom in his 6 seasons. Probably a combination of the league improving and us just staying stuck in the sh!t.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It feels like Dave’s coaching has regressed the last two seasons, which is a scary thought considering we’ve never cracked the top 100 of KenPom in his 6 seasons. Probably a combination of the league improving and us just staying stuck in the sh!t.

And also losing Dane and Aaron and upgrading with Bryson who is a first time assistant and MoJo who...well I haven't heard such good things and certainly didn't see great things when he was HC (Granted he was thrown into a rough spot, but still).

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Mason has offered DJ Patrick, a 6-6 SG from Triton junior college in Illinois.

A sign of things to come? Glad to see the staff recognizes we are in desperate need of immediate backcourt help.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He’s shooting 51.5% from 3 and 83% from the line. No idea about the level of juco competition.

How are his handles though? Can he facilitate? We need to take the pressure off Kolek to help bring the ball up and facilitate the offense.

He could also take Frazier’s place in any hypothetical starting 5 next year too (as a 3/4) now that I think about it.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Mason has offered DJ Patrick, a 6-6 SG from Triton junior college in Illinois.

A sign of things to come? Glad to see the staff recognizes we are in desperate need of immediate backcourt help.

Its obvious that Dave is secretly obsessed with 6'6 players.

(where the hell would this kid play? don't we have enough 6'6 players?)

verbal commits says DJ Patrick is actually 6’7 lol

Last edited:

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Its obvious that Dave is secretly obsessed with 6'6 players.

(where the hell would this kid play? don't we have enough 6'6 players?)
Jammed up at the 2/3 slots. Hard to see where this guy fits in unless he’s a stud (might be the case, idk anything about him.)

Hurrrrr durrrr POSITIONLESS BASKETBALL