2021 Recruiting

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
aw gee

Why did you think he wasn’t very good? Maybe there’s something I didn’t see?
I personally don't think kids from basketball states that are super good at basketball and have 100 prep schools playing at national levels should have kids playing in some of their lower divisions as seniors. I guess nobodies story is straight forward and maybe he was a committed member of the community but I don't buy it.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Is Folkes holding a Georgetown scholly? He retweets this Georgetown guy like he is family and his recruitment is closed per Folkes. Commitment coming soon. I think even Paulsen might cry if he goes 0-8. No worries Gadsden early committed instead of Towson and my st Mary’s

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Is Folkes holding a Georgetown scholly? He recruits this Georgetown guy like he is family and his recruitment is closed per Folkes. Commitment coming soon. I think even Paulsen might cry if he goes 0-8. No worries Gadsden early committed instead of Towson and my st Mary’s

Yes I’m pretty sure Georgetown offered Zay over the summer.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Depending on the college choices of Michael Gray, Zay Folkes and Zaakir Williamson, over the next couple weeks we could either be done filling the 3 remaining spots in the Class of 2021 or ... desperately in need of alcohol.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'd be fine with Gray and Zay for 2 guard spots with Williamson, but I'm not holding my breath Mason gets all 3. We'll be lucky if we seal the deal with 1.

Getting Folkes and Williamson would ease my concern a lot since they have spent a long time with them. One would be ok, and ease a little. I'd still be concerned having Williamson be the plan at the 5 spot behind Oduro (as most of us are).

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
hope these things aren't jinxes as I would love to get Folkes....

Folkes recruitment chances:

Georgetown: 1 spot left. 6 guards 4 big men. They have already signed a 3 star PG and will have 3 other undergrad PG's on the roster. 4th highest guard remaining. They seem to recruiting Zay pretty hard on Twitter and he constantly retweets them but I don't see any scenario where that lone scholarship is left for him. ODDS: LOW
Charlotte: Seems to be Paulsen's kryptonite when recruiting guards. They just snagged @mkaufman1 's Daylen Berry. 3 spots left. 4 guards 4 bigs on roster. He is 3rd rated guard remaining, but one seems out of their league. They are only recruiting 4 guys left and none are bigs. ODDS: HIGH
St Bonaventure: 1 spot open for 2021. 9 offers out (Folkes top rated guard). returning 8 guards, 4 bigs. I wouldn't be surprised if he committed here but Schmidt generally has a much more balanced roster and they seem to need a wing or big. ODDS: MEDIUM
Mt St Mary's: No spots left (in fact they have -2 spots left). ODDS: NONE
Southern Utah: Big Sky represent (fun fact they actually recruit higher rated prospects than our current regime). 2 spots open for 2021. 12 offers out (Folkes 3rd highest rated guard on list). returning 8 guards and 2 big men. One would think they would use final two spots on big men. Folkes teammate just committed to Idaho so maybe he goes out there to compete against him. ODDS: MEDIUM
NC A&T: 2 spots open for 2021. 25 offers out (Folkes 2nd rated guard). returning 5 guards, 3 bigs. ODDS: MEDIUM
Murray St: 2 spots open for 2021. 6 offers out (Folkes 2nd rated guard). returning 6 guards, 3 bigs. ODDS: MEDIUM
W&M: 0 spots open for 2021 (sorry DANE) ODDS: NONE
Elon: 0 spots open for 2021 (sorry Hunter Woods you break my heart every time) ODDS: NONE
Lehigh: o spots open for 2021 ODDS: NONE (they just beat out UMASS, Richmond and Providence for a 3 star PG)
JMU: 1 spot open for 2021.8 offers (Folkes 2nd rated guard) returning 7 guards and 3 big men. ODDS: LOW (unless they just recruit best available rather than to fit roster needs)
Radford: 0 spots open. ODDS: NONE
Norfolk St: 6 spots open for 2021. 18 offers (Folkes 2nd rated guard) returning 2 guards and 2 bigs. No clue how hard they have been recruiting him but they need him on their team. ODDS: Seemingly HIGH
Stetson: 1 spot open for 2021. 35 offers (I shit you not they employ the Bryant strategy to offer every kid they have ever seen play basketball) (Folkes 6th rated guard). returning 7 guards and 4 bigs. I am not sure even how to properly rank this with so many offers out. ODDS: LOW?!?
ODU: 0 open spots. ODDS: NONE
Youngstown St: 3 spots open for 2021. 14 offers (Folkes 3rd rated guard). returning 7 guards and 1 big man. One would think they need to recruit another big man to be successful but who knows. ODDs: LOW

Overall I think we have a great chance again. If we lose this kid to Charlotte we might as well just hire their coach as ours since he steals all the good DMV-NC players Paulsen wants to recruit. Charlotte, Mason, Bona and Norfolk St in that order. Southern Utah and Murray St are my sleeper picks

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
really bored this week at work so I am sorry fellas and SWIMOM

Willamson recruitment chances

Alright guys: this is not a nice to have this is a MUST HAVE. Our 2021 recruitment cycle has been off to a VERY VERY slow start. A lot of people are really excited for this Polite, Henry, Otis and Kolek class (I am not super excited but would love to be proved wrong)

Williamson is the best recruit we have left on our board that we have a snowballs chance in hell with (Ilver is almost 100% going P5). Kordell Charles is interesting because he got 2 good offers in 2019 and then nobody but Mason has offered him since (kind of scary how that happens, in fact we might be his only real offer remaining and that makes me feel really uneasy about it... maybe it's injuries, maybe he peaked really early, maybe he is just not that good, maybe he is going to be 37 years old as a senior like our other Canadian recruit?!? anybody know?)

But Back to Zaakir. He plays on a high school powerhouse in PA. 3 D1 commits other than him on the team. Best one to Richmond, another to JMU and finally one to Temple.... This high school powerhouse has produced over 50 D1 players and have a couple young studs in the program as well.

Lasalle: 1 spot open for 2021 with 11 open offers (Williamson is 3rd rated big man offer). Returning 4 bigs and 5 guards. He doesn't really fit their needs at this point and they made a top 5 for a 4 star 6 foot 10 kid.... could it be that we steal a Philly kid from them?!? ODDS: MEDIUM
Bowling Green: 4 open spots for 2021 with 9 open offers (Williamson top rated big recruit). Returning 4 guards and 3 big men. He fits the mold of Bowling Green and they are the front runner. ODDS: HIGH
Akron: 3 spots open for 2021 with 12 open offers (Williamson top rated big man offer). Returning 4 guards and 3 bigs. I like Akron's chances for the big man as well. ODDS: HIGH
Buffalo: 5 spots open for 2021 with 4 open offers (Williamson top rated big man offer) Returning 3 bigs and 3 guards. Not sure what Buffalo is doing as they don't have a ton of offers out there. They average almost 3 stars on their roster and certainly seem to recruit at a higher tick than both their conference and Mason. Scary going up against them for a guy we both need. ODDS: HIGH
ETSU: these bums again. 4 spots open for 2021 with 15 open offers (Williamson top rated big man). Returning 4 guards and 3 bigs. Williamson again is a great fit for them. ODDS: HIGH
Howard: I hope we don't play to them next year because I think we would lose and I would cry. 3 spots open and 16 offers (Williamson top rated big man). Returning 5 guards and 3 bigs. ODDS: Medium
MT ST Mary's: 0 open spots ODDS:NONE
NC A&T: 2 spots open for 2021. 25 offers out (Williamson 2nd rated big). returning 5 guards, 3 bigs. ODDS: MEDIUM
Youngstown St: 3 spots open for 2021. 14 offers (Williamson top rated big). returning 7 guards and 1 big man. They need a big and he would play right away but damn would it be a kick in the nuts if he went here. ODDs: MEDIUM
Towson: 0 spots left ODDS:NONE
UMBC: 5 spots left 1 offer (Williamson only player offered per VC which is usually correct). Returning: 2 bigs and 4 guards. UMBC's cinderella story is gone. Williamson way too good to play in the America East Conference ODDS: LOW

Bowling Green, Akron, Buffalo and ETSU are Mason's major competitors for Williamson but he could commit to another school and I wouldn't be super surprised. I have a bad feeling about this which probably means we snag Williamson. Again this is a must have unless they are recruiting another big man somewhere that nobody has heard of that wants to come to Mason.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
really bored this week at work so I am sorry fellas and SWIMOM

Willamson recruitment chances

Alright guys: this is not a nice to have this is a MUST HAVE. Our 2021 recruitment cycle has been off to a VERY VERY slow start. A lot of people are really excited for this Polite, Henry, Otis and Kolek class (I am not super excited but would love to be proved wrong)

Williamson is the best recruit we have left on our board that we have a snowballs chance in hell with (Ilver is almost 100% going P5). Kordell Charles is interesting because he got 2 good offers in 2019 and then nobody but Mason has offered him since (kind of scary how that happens, in fact we might be his only real offer remaining and that makes me feel really uneasy about it... maybe it's injuries, maybe he peaked really early, maybe he is just not that good, maybe he is going to be 37 years old as a senior like our other Canadian recruit?!? anybody know?)

But Back to Zaakir. He plays on a high school powerhouse in PA. 3 D1 commits other than him on the team. Best one to Richmond, another to JMU and finally one to Temple.... This high school powerhouse has produced over 50 D1 players and have a couple young studs in the program as well.

Lasalle: 1 spot open for 2021 with 11 open offers (Williamson is 3rd rated big man offer). Returning 4 bigs and 5 guards. He doesn't really fit their needs at this point and they made a top 5 for a 4 star 6 foot 10 kid.... could it be that we steal a Philly kid from them?!? ODDS: MEDIUM
Bowling Green: 4 open spots for 2021 with 9 open offers (Williamson top rated big recruit). Returning 4 guards and 3 big men. He fits the mold of Bowling Green and they are the front runner. ODDS: HIGH
Akron: 3 spots open for 2021 with 12 open offers (Williamson top rated big man offer). Returning 4 guards and 3 bigs. I like Akron's chances for the big man as well. ODDS: HIGH
Buffalo: 5 spots open for 2021 with 4 open offers (Williamson top rated big man offer) Returning 3 bigs and 3 guards. Not sure what Buffalo is doing as they don't have a ton of offers out there. They average almost 3 stars on their roster and certainly seem to recruit at a higher tick than both their conference and Mason. Scary going up against them for a guy we both need. ODDS: HIGH
ETSU: these bums again. 4 spots open for 2021 with 15 open offers (Williamson top rated big man). Returning 4 guards and 3 bigs. Williamson again is a great fit for them. ODDS: HIGH
Howard: I hope we don't play to them next year because I think we would lose and I would cry. 3 spots open and 16 offers (Williamson top rated big man). Returning 5 guards and 3 bigs. ODDS: Medium
MT ST Mary's: 0 open spots ODDS:NONE
NC A&T: 2 spots open for 2021. 25 offers out (Williamson 2nd rated big). returning 5 guards, 3 bigs. ODDS: MEDIUM
Youngstown St: 3 spots open for 2021. 14 offers (Williamson top rated big). returning 7 guards and 1 big man. They need a big and he would play right away but damn would it be a kick in the nuts if he went here. ODDs: MEDIUM
Towson: 0 spots left ODDS:NONE
UMBC: 5 spots left 1 offer (Williamson only player offered per VC which is usually correct). Returning: 2 bigs and 4 guards. UMBC's cinderella story is gone. Williamson way too good to play in the America East Conference ODDS: LOW

Bowling Green, Akron, Buffalo and ETSU are Mason's major competitors for Williamson but he could commit to another school and I wouldn't be super surprised. I have a bad feeling about this which probably means we snag Williamson. Again this is a must have unless they are recruiting another big man somewhere that nobody has heard of that wants to come to Mason.
Thanks for this and the one on Folkes. I'm going to say swing and miss on both. Hope I'm wrong but we've already missed out on our top tier guys. I just see the misery continuing. Dave just doesn't seem to have a very engaging personality or inspiring message to give recruits despite the noted improvements to the facilities. Fingers crossed.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Kept wondering about the losses to UNCC--- and voila it all makes sense.

https://accsports.com/acc-news/ron-sanchez-uva-coach/

Doesn't make him a great game coach....but can see why his sales pitch works better than ours on some of these kids...
well remember some folks think that Paulsen made a conscious choice not to snag Jahmir Young because we had better guards committing. That is just utter horseshit IMO...

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I would assume because he is their 7th best guard offered with 1 spot remaining but idk what GSII is talking about specifically.

Your husband might have an issue with you thinking about other men for no reason.