2021 Recruiting

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Gimme Folkes and Mike Gray for the two guard spots, then grab a transfer big and stretch 4 with the last 2 spots and I would be convinced to step back from the ledge on the 21 class.

We have 3 spots left don't we? Gadsden is taking one. If Folkes and Gray commit, that's 1 spot left, presumably for either Williamson or a transfer big?

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Gimme Folkes and Mike Gray for the two guard spots, then grab a transfer big and stretch 4 with the last 2 spots and I would be convinced to step back from the ledge on the 21 class.

Personally i'm not a Mike Gray believer, but I'd take Folkes, transfer big, and stretch 4 who can give us 8-10 his freshman year and 20 his sophomore year and a project big. The only question is, what stretch 4s are left that are still open for recruiting that will succeed at this level?

Getting a transfer who is immediately eligible would obviously be huge and I think everyone on here (including myself) agrees that is the right way to go, but we also have to realize that it's not a permanent solution and likely at best would have 2 seasons of eligibility left.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I have to think its also somewhat first come first serve. I have to think they want a combo guard and athletic shooter types for two spots.

Of course we have no idea how much they are even still recruiting Folkes or Berry at this point so I really have no idea.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Based on Twitter I think Charlotte offered Berry too.

I also think you’re on the right track that he wants to commit now and the staff may not be ready to take it yet. If I had to bet folding money we’re not taking a SG until we know what Zay Folkes’ plans are. He’s the best athlete left on our board by a country mile.
I would hope you are correct...

For speculation purposes only here are Daylen's options for Tuesday:
FIU: 5 spots open for 2021. returning: 6 guards and 1 big. he is the 4th highest ranked SG on their board. ODDS: Low
ETSU: 4 spots open for 2021. returning: 4 guards and 5 bigs. he is 4th highest ranked SG on their board. ODDS: Medium
Loyola-CHI: 3 spots open for 2021. returning: 5 guards and 2 bigs. he is 3rd highest ranked SG on their board. ODDS: Medium
Fairfield: 1 spot open for 2021. returning: 5 guards and 7 bigs. he is highest ranked SG on their board. ODDS: HIGH
Charlotte: 4 spots open for 2021 (5 offers out for 2021 including Folkes). returning: 3 guards and 4 bigs. he is 3rd highest ranked SG on their board: ODDS: HIGH
Wofford: 1 spot open for 2021 (4 offers out). returning: 6 guards and 6 bigs. he is 2nd highest ranked SG on their board. ODDS: HIGH
JMU: 1 spot open for 2021 (10 offers out). returning: 7 guards and 2 bigs. he is 4th highest ranked SG on their board. ODDS: LOW
Charleston Southern: 0 spots left (ODDS LOW)
UNCW: 1 spot open for 2021 (20 offers out) returning: 7 guards and 5 bigs. he is 3rd highest ranked SG on their board: ODDS: MEDIUM

Overall I think we have a great chance. Charlotte, Fairfield, Wofford and ETSU probably the front runners with Mason for the kid

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I would hope you are correct...

For speculation purposes only here are Daylen's options for Tuesday:
FIU: 5 spots open for 2021. returning: 6 guards and 1 big. he is the 4th highest ranked SG on their board. ODDS: Low
ETSU: 4 spots open for 2021. returning: 4 guards and 5 bigs. he is 4th highest ranked SG on their board. ODDS: Medium
Loyola-CHI: 3 spots open for 2021. returning: 5 guards and 2 bigs. he is 3rd highest ranked SG on their board. ODDS: Medium
Fairfield: 1 spot open for 2021. returning: 5 guards and 7 bigs. he is highest ranked SG on their board. ODDS: HIGH
Charlotte: 4 spots open for 2021 (5 offers out for 2021 including Folkes). returning: 3 guards and 4 bigs. he is 3rd highest ranked SG on their board: ODDS: HIGH
Wofford: 1 spot open for 2021 (4 offers out). returning: 6 guards and 6 bigs. he is 2nd highest ranked SG on their board. ODDS: HIGH
JMU: 1 spot open for 2021 (10 offers out). returning: 7 guards and 2 bigs. he is 4th highest ranked SG on their board. ODDS: LOW
Charleston Southern: 0 spots left (ODDS LOW)
UNCW: 1 spot open for 2021 (20 offers out) returning: 7 guards and 5 bigs. he is 3rd highest ranked SG on their board: ODDS: MEDIUM

Overall I think we have a great chance. Charlotte, Fairfield, Wofford and ETSU probably the front runners with Mason for the kid

That’s quality research

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Also interesting to see if the season gets jacked up and the NCAA gives seniors another year of eligibility. No clue if he’d want it but I’d sign up for a sixth year of AJ right now.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Also interesting to see if the season gets jacked up and the NCAA gives seniors another year of eligibility. No clue if he’d want it but I’d sign up for a sixth year of AJ right now.
the problem is they would only give it to 4 year seniors one would think. unfair but probably how the NCAA would operate.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Out of all offers to fill 3 spots dreamlist is Folkes, Ilver and Williamson (although we are probably out on Ilver and Williamson). Would also take kordell Charles in a hot second (but we are probably out on that too)

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Out of all offers to fill 3 spots dreamlist is Folkes, Ilver and Williamson (although we are probably out on Ilver and Williamson). Would also take kordell Charles in a hot second (but we are probably out on that too)

I think we have even less chance with Ilver than we had with Castro, if that’s mathematically possible. Considering his offer sheet I’d put our odds at roughly 1 billion to 1.

EDIT: But yes Ilver is exactly what we need at the 4. A perfect fit.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think we have even less chance with Ilver than we had with Castro, if that’s mathematically possible. Considering his offer sheet I’d put our odds at roughly 1 billion to 1.
I am just going to be really pissed if we end up with a Folkes, Berry, Peterson and Gadsden class... like really pissed and I think even you can feel me on that

Odds are our class doesn't even look as good as the one I put above

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I am just going to be really pissed if we end up with a Folkes, Berry, Peterson and Gadsden class... like really pissed and I think even you can feel me on that

Odds are our class doesn't even look as good as the one I put above

Yes I will be pissed right along with you. Unless Dave is adopting “40 Minutes of Hell” as his new style of play, we can’t keep recruiting 2s and 3s and expecting them to hold their own in the paint in a league like the A-10.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Believe me I get the frustration but could you possibly refrain from calling the student athletes that choose to attend your Alma Mater subpar athletes.
I shouldn't have used the term sub-par. They are good players. But I think you need great athletes to play the system Paulsen wants to play.

But lets not act like the players are safe from criticism. This isn't a church league. This is college basketball, a billion dollar industry.