2021 Recruiting

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Is Concord NC the famed area that a ton of NBA players are born (Brandon Ingram etc are from) I could be totally making this up

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
“Cornbread” Maxwell ... one of the greatest nicknames of all time.
you bring up an excellent point.. We need a player with a cool food nickname. maybe Oduro can be dubbed marshmallow, Kolek can be chicken tender, Henry can be nicknamed string bean

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Great, another combo guard. That's exactly what we need on a roster that will have 6 other players fighting for minutes at those same exact positions. I'm starting to think I might actually get a look for minutes at the 5 spot. The logic behind this is astounding. Miss out on two big men, oh better go grab ANOTHER f**kING GUARD QUICK.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Great, another combo guard. That's exactly what we need on a roster that will have 6 other players fighting for minutes at those same exact positions. I'm starting to think I might actually get a look for minutes at the 5 spot. The logic behind this is astounding. Miss out on two big men, oh better go grab ANOTHER f*ckING GUARD QUICK.

I mean, we lost out on Darius Johnson, Erik Reynolds, and maybe the shoe is about to drop on Daylen Berry? Keep in mind that by the end of 2021, we're going to be without Hartwell, Greene, Boyd, and Miller so we're going to also need some wings.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I mean, we lost out on Darius Johnson, Erik Reynolds, and maybe the shoe is about to drop on Daylen Berry? Keep in mind that by the end of 2021, we're going to be without Hartwell, Greene, Boyd, and Miller so we're going to also need some wings.

The plan was always to take 2 guards and 2 forwards in the 21 class. Not sure why this is particularly controversial considering most teams at our level play with 3 guards on the floor (and sometimes 4).

Good bigs are hard to find and sign. Rather than reach for a project coming out of HS, I would prefer to see what the portal looks like even if that means we have to wait until next spring.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

We've also got Dady, Otis, and Gadsden who will all be suiting up for that wing spot. XJ, Polite, and Kolek all will be needing minutes at that 1-2 spot. Who fills in at the 4 and backup 5?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
We've also got Dady, Otis, and Gadsden who will all be suiting up for that wing spot. XJ, Polite, and Kolek all will be needing minutes at that 1-2 spot. Who fills in at the 4 and backup 5?

Someone who hasn’t signed yet. What’s the rush?

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Someone who hasn’t signed yet. What’s the rush?

The rush is that this has been a historically fast recruiting period and guys are all signing during the early period. We'll be left picking up the scraps in March per usual.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
The rush is that this has been a historically fast recruiting period and guys are all signing during the early period. We'll be left picking up the scraps in March per usual.

Based on our coach’s history I can see why you would say that. But it’s certainly conceivable the staff has switched gears and plans to go after a transfer big in the spring now that immediate eligibility is coming.

We have no choice at this point but to wait and see. If they wind up signing some project big man in the late period I will be just as pissed as you.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
We’ve reached on big guys previously under DP and none of them (Oduro still TBD) have panned out. Maybe the staff has learned their lesson and decided to wait ... no reason whatsoever that there won’t be 1,000 guys in the portal again next spring, if not more.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah, Paulsen and co going after a transfer big. Hell, even "a transfer".

And I'm going to win the lottery. Pays to dream big lol.

The new (pending) eligibility rules literally have changed the entire calculus around transfers. Our coach may be a lot of things but he’s not a moron.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The new (pending) eligibility rules literally have changed the entire calculus around transfers. Our coach may be a lot of things but he’s not a moron.

I have all the dreams in the world that we go snag a transfer big after this season, I am just super low on the possibility of that actually happening. This is one of those "I would be super happy to be wrong" scenarios, but unfortunately I'm going under a strong assumption that we either won't go after or won't land any big man transfers.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I have all the dreams in the world that we go snag a transfer big after this season, I am just super low on the possibility of that actually happening. This is one of those "I would be super happy to be wrong" scenarios, but unfortunately I'm going under a strong assumption that we either won't go after or won't land any big man transfers.

You might turn out to be right. All I’m saying is the world of recruiting transfers has changed dramatically so DP’s approach prior to this year may not be relevant. Given the composition of our roster and the ability to bring someone in who can contribute right away, the staff has to be at least considering that as an option.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
You might turn out to be right. All I’m saying is the world of recruiting transfers has changed dramatically so DP’s approach prior to this year may not be relevant. Given the composition of our roster and the ability to bring someone in who can contribute right away, the staff has to be at least considering that as an option.

Yeah I hear you, and logically everything you are saying makes perfect sense and I agree. If we don't land a quality big man recruit or a transfer big after this season then the staff absolutely deserves to get the boot.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
by the end of 2021 we will also be missing the current coaching staff for sure at that point. Paulsen better start recruiting like he needs to win now and not worry on which under recruited PG he can fill depth needs that don't exist then