2021 Recruiting

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
who is Bishop O'Connel's white boy center in this video? Would be interested in him as a pick and pop 4 potentially.

They have a 6'10 Center for 2023 who already has interest from Wichita State...but he's not white. He's got some AJ Wilson-style vibes with the glasses and the hair. We need to offer this kid.

The other tall guy on the roster is David Onanina (2022). http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/david-onanina. But he's not white either.

The only other person it could be is Alexander McKelway? He's a bit undersized at 6'5/6'6. I don't think he's actually a D1 prospect.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
They have a 6'10 Center for 2023 who already has interest from Wichita State...but he's not white. He's got some AJ Wilson-style vibes with the glasses and the hair. We need to offer this kid.

The other tall guy on the roster is David Onanina (2022). http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/david-onanina. But he's not white either.

The only other person it could be is Alexander McKelway? He's a bit undersized at 6'5/6'6. I don't think he's actually a D1 prospect.
Whoever the white kid was in the videos that our recruit passed to and he banged three's that looked 4 inches taller than our recruit is who I was talking to. I have no idea who that kid is but he is in the videos Patriotsince81 posted. He looked pasty to me but maybe my eyes are off

Herndon

All-Conference

https://www.etsubucs.com/mbasketball/roster/2019-20/10423/charlie-weber/

Seen/written on him quite a bit the last three years.
http://novahoops.com/2019-2020-all-nova-junior-boys-private-school-team/

Wondered for a while why his size at the 2 (could be a 3 also) didn't get him more major interest earlier.

This year O'Connell was very young and lost a lot, but Peterson (and David O.) were rocks. Team got a lot better second half of the season. Guy was mostly a slasher early in his HS career but can hit threes. Gets to the rim, especially in fast-paced games. Next year O'Connell got some transfers in and should be good...Peterson doesn't have to score like he did this year--will be interesting to see how he performs with a better/more experienced team around him as a senior.

Safe offer (I'm sure staff has seen him a lot), high floor guy like some other locals already on the squad. High ceiling? Don't know, does a ton of things well but getting to the rim is always what has stuck out to me--can he do that at an A-10 level consistently? Not sure.

Dad seems nice, wrote me a couple years ago to tell me about 'em. Can't be anything but happy if he joins up!

FreeGunston12

All-American
Seen/written on him quite a bit the last three years.
http://novahoops.com/2019-2020-all-nova-junior-boys-private-school-team/

Wondered for a while why his size at the 2 (could be a 3 also) didn't get him more major interest earlier.

This year O'Connell was very young and lost a lot, but Peterson (and David O.) were rocks. Team got a lot better second half of the season. Guy was mostly a slasher early in his HS career but can hit threes. Gets to the rim, especially in fast-paced games. Next year O'Connell got some transfers in and should be good...Peterson doesn't have to score like he did this year--will be interesting to see how he performs with a better/more experienced team around him as a senior.

Safe offer (I'm sure staff has seen him a lot), high floor guy like some other locals already on the squad. High ceiling? Don't know, does a ton of things well but getting to the rim is always what has stuck out to me--can he do that at an A-10 level consistently? Not sure.

Dad seems nice, wrote me a couple years ago to tell me about 'em. Can't be anything but happy if he joins up!
What jumped out to me (which can certainly be misleading on a highlight tape) is that he seemed to always be in the right place at the right time because of all the tip-ins/put-backs/etc. Still, some players have a knack for that sort of thing and the ball seems to find them more often than it should. Usually that comes with a good feel for and understanding of the game.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Reynolds to Saint Joe’s as expected

not surprised based on what circulated a few weeks ago. upsetting because I know he was a priority for the last 18 months.

Hopefully some of the 2021 guards that play the 2 spot are still in Mason reach.

I wish him well.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
0/2, if we miss on Castro I think that it’s safe to say this recruiting class is a complete bust, which isn’t great going into a a rebuild.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
0/2, if we miss on Castro I think that it’s safe to say this recruiting class is a complete bust, which isn’t great going into a a rebuild.

Not safe at all to say that. These guys haven’t even played their senior year of high school. None of us have any idea what they’ll become.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Not safe at all to say that. These guys haven’t even played their senior year of high school. None of us have any idea what they’ll become.

Lol we’ve missed on the two guys who we’ve been tied to since day 1 and we’re probably at the top of the whiteboard. If we miss on Castro who’s left who we have been recruiting the last few years?

Also it’s funny to see that St Joes can land studs like this early in their rebuild on the promise of playing time and we were scraping kids from the Patriot League to try to fill out our roster at the same point in our rebuild.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Lol we’ve missed on the two guys who we’ve been tied to since day 1 and we’re probably at the top of the whiteboard. If we miss on Castro who’s left who we have been recruiting the last few years?

Also it’s funny to see that St Joes can land studs like this early in their rebuild on the promise of playing time and we were scraping kids from the Patriot League to try to fill out our roster at the same point in our rebuild.

Guess you weren’t paying attention because Saint Joe’s has been really good far more recently than Mason. Given their history and location they’re still an attractive brand to a lot of kids.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
oh no that 6 foot pg from Kentucky with 3 offers is going to end up better than Darius and Reynolds right Jim?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Guess you weren’t paying attention because Saint Joe’s has been really good far more recently than Mason. Given their history and location they’re still an attractive brand to a lot of kids.
you remind me of the St Joe's Hawk quite a bit Jim. You just keep cheering and cheering when there is little to cheer about. Don't your arms get tired?