2021 Recruiting

Well I wonder if Florida fans are complaining they can't outrecruit UCF right now.

Sucks but oh well. I know last couple of months we've put a ton of energy into Erik so we'll see if that bears fruit by some lucky roll of the dice.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
If a player has CAA level offers and we take a chance on them to play in the A10, that kid is a project. It is what it is.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
CAA bro?! We are competing against mt st Mary’s lol not even sure what conference they are in

Jamion Christian was their coach, man...they are in the Northeast conference.

Not saying we should be taking players that Mt. St. Mary’s is their best offer other than us...but still.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
but is it also surprising that we are usually one of like three offers with Mt St Mary's for those kids?

The only guy on that list right now for 2021 is TJ Gadsden, though. Sam Vinson doesn’t have any impressive offers, but Mt St Mary’s isn’t one of them. And even Vinson at least had a MAC offer on the table.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The only guy on that list right now for 2021 is TJ Gadsden, though. Sam Vinson doesn’t have any impressive offers, but Mt St Mary’s isn’t one of them. And even Vinson at least had a MAC offer on the table.
we talking just 2021? I certainly am not

Bummed we couldn't land Darius, but thrilled vcu didn't make the cut. Really hurts that we spend that much time recruiting an athlete and can't even make his final 3.

My bet is that he chooses UCF. His Godfather is Johnny Dawkins.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Johnson has decided that he will play at Alabama, Providence or UCF.

"I picked these three schools because they are the ones who recruited me the hardest and told me that they needed me as a part of their team,” Johnson told Rivals.com. “It was pretty easy to narrow it down to these three because, after a while, they were the only schools consistent.”

Wow. He plays locally, his brother is on the team, and we didn't pursue him hard enough. Way to go DP. :bricks:

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

"I picked these three schools because they are the ones who recruited me the hardest and told me that they needed me as a part of their team,” Johnson told Rivals.com. “It was pretty easy to narrow it down to these three because, after a while, they were the only schools consistent.”

Wow. He plays locally, his brother is on the team, and we didn't pursue him hard enough. Way to go DP. :bricks:

The kid has been to campus and spoken with our coaches literally dozens of times, and this guy seriously thinks our staff didn’t pursue him?

Far far far more likely that they knew before anyone else outside the Johnson family that Darius had no intention of choosing Mason and adjusted their recruiting activity accordingly.

His brother is literally our starting point guard FFS.

Yeah, to echo what Jim said above, believe me, we recruited him hard. The only time I haven't seen with my own eyes either Paulsen or Duane in the Episcopal gym during a E home game was when Mason was playing.

Mason always had a chance but you could see more and more last six months it was going to be a tough get.

Hey, if he ends up hating his first choice you never know, too. Kids move around like a champ these days...

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Yeah I dont' buy that Mason also didn't pursue him. I saw the kid in Brooklyn, others saw him at home games and like Jollay said hes been to tons of games and had the staff watching him constantly. His brother is very good so I'm happy XJ is around and on the team.

Could be a bunch of things , from not wanting to be on the same team as his brother to wanting to get away to playing at a higher level. He was always going to be a reach and I'm not as disappointed because I expected it. I was hopeful Mason would make the top 3, but obviously it didnt happen. Reynolds on the other hand I thought Mason had a real legit chance with and I hope something materializes.

Wish Darius the best.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

eh it is a Copout. they were on him like white on rice probably begging him to save Paulsen's job by coming here. Just didn't work out in the end. Hopefully everything I heard about Reynolds is false and he comes here (although he is now really overrated according to our resident insider) so maybe I don't want that anymore. I am sending $10k in Mason money to both Castro and Zaakir Williamson (who is not a center). Hope it works to our favor

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
eh it is a Copout. they were on him like white on rice probably begging him to save Paulsen's job by coming here. Just didn't work out in the end. Hopefully everything I heard about Reynolds is false and he comes here (although he is now really overrated according to our resident insider) so maybe I don't want that anymore. I am sending $10k in Mason money to both Castro and Zaakir Williamson (who is not a center). Hope it works to our favor

why would we want both of those guys if neither can play the 5? We’d have one center on the roster next year.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
why would we want both of those guys if neither can play the 5? We’d have one center on the roster next year.
We aren’t going to get a center. Haven’t had a real one since shevon. It is not part of Paulsens plan so might as well get 5 pf instead

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Disappointed to see all of the excuses about why we didn't land Darius. That's the whole problem with DP. He can't/hasn't landed the difference maker yet. That is why we are 39 - 51 in A10 play. Satisfied? Well, let's stay the course.

Last edited: