2021 Recruiting

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Now that all top recruits have moved on DP has his eyes on......
youth2.jpg

JPgmuswim

Starter
Strike two...I’m not trying to be all negative, but we did just miss out on what we believe to have been our top two targets based on their offer sheets. If I had to guess there’s more top targets we’ll miss on which is probably one of the reasons we are starting to see those new offers come in. Back to competing with the patriot league for recruits. Can’t hang with the big boys.

DP is what he is, he runs a clean program with good kids, but I think everyone needs to come to terms with the fact that he will not be able to recruit kids that our competition in the A-10 can.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Strike two...I’m not trying to be all negative, but we did just miss out on what we believe to have been our top two targets based on their offer sheets. If I had to guess there’s more top targets we’ll miss on which is probably one of the reasons we are starting to see those new offers come in. Back to competing with the patriot league for recruits. Can’t hang with the big boys.

DP is what he is, he runs a clean program with good kids, but I think everyone needs to come to terms with the fact that he will not be able to recruit kids that our competition in the A-10 can.

Im with you and while I’ve accepted Dave’s ceiling, I’m certainly not going to settle for it. There’s a ton of guys out there who can both run a clean program and win games. Dave has shown so far he can do one of those things.

Personally, if we make the tournament with Dave this year, I’ll double my donation and buy another seat with my season tickets. Alternatively, if we don’t do that but we fire Dave I’ll still double my donation and buy another seat with my season ticket.

If we miss the tournament, don’t finish top 4, and give Dave an extension I’m going to have to look really hard if I want to continue to keep my season tickets beyond this year.

Negative side

Put a ton into recruiting this dude, so it is legit to say its a disappointing setback. Paulsen has yet to demonstrate he can win a recruiting battle with anyone our level or higher for local guys. That is a problem, as is DP's inability to recruit anyone close to an A-10 level star. (Polite is the first real possibility, IMO, and even that is far from a given)

Positive side

Just having legit shots with both shows we've come a ways-schools like Florida, vcu, and Xavier came up empty here as well. DP has certainly made us into a recruiting factor locally, and, as much as I liked D and E, really the next batch of targets (especially when you're dealing with guards) isn't a huge drop-off. Certainly doesn't mean the class will suck.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Negative side

Put a ton into recruiting this dude, so it is legit to say its a disappointing setback. Paulsen has yet to demonstrate he can win a recruiting battle with anyone our level or higher for local guys. That is a problem, as is DP's inability to recruit anyone close to an A-10 level star. (Polite is the first real possibility, IMO, and even that is far from a given)

Positive side

Just having legit shots with both shows we've come a ways-schools like Florida, vcu, and Xavier came up empty here as well. DP has certainly made us into a recruiting factor locally, and, as much as I liked D and E, really the next batch of targets (especially when you're dealing with guards) isn't a huge drop-off. Certainly doesn't mean the class will suck.

So I respect your opinion on these things, and I self admittedly am just starting to learn about recruiting and all that goes into it so if the drop off from these guys to the next tier isn’t that bad I believe you.

I think the worry here is we don’t seem to be tied to anyone from that next tier of guards, and we’re going to have to try to swoop in and grab a kid who’s going to be a reach for the conference again. I personally don’t know what other guards from the area we’ve been scouting/in touch with, but in the past it seems we would pop on some kids radar at the 11th hour and be his highest offer by a mile and sign in the end of the second signing period. I understood losing Darius, I think Reynolds stings more because he went to St Joes, who in my opinion, we should be beating for recruits because of the relative position of both of our programs.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Negative side

Positive side

Jimbo just taught me about offers that aren’t guaranteed. Do you think it’s possible Darius had that from Florida since they consistently pull on 4 and 5 stars that have every offer in the world. Don’t mean to continue shitting on Jim but learning from an expert like him makes me question every thought I’ve ever had about recruitment. The drop off is certainly severe. A10 offers to patriot league offers in our guards and lord knows we aren’t going to be signing Castro or Kendall

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Jimbo just taught me about offers that aren’t guaranteed. Do you think it’s possible Darius had that from Florida since they consistently pull on 4 and 5 stars that have every offer in the world. Don’t mean to continue shitting on Jim but learning from an expert like him makes me question every thought I’ve ever had about recruitment. The drop off is certainly severe. A10 offers to patriot league offers in our guards and lord knows we aren’t going to be signing Castro or Kendall

I only covered high school sports for the better part of 17 years. Clearly just talking out of my a** on this stuff.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I only covered high school sports for the better part of 17 years. Clearly just talking out of my a** on this stuff.
With a 75% incorrect rate it’s probably best that you moved onto city council and restaurant opening breaking stories

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Lol so it means alot to kids who aren't from Philly? I don't think it means a ton to St. Joes fans anymore, considering they only had 3450 in attendance for the home game at Hagan last year (that's official attendance, we all know how those numbers go)

I believe that the game is normally a sell-out at Hagan. BTW, the next time you go to a game there, you might want to check out Manayunk if you haven't already done so.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I believe that the game is normally a sell-out at Hagan. BTW, the next time you go to a game there, you might want to check out Manayunk if you haven't already done so.
Brother lived their for a while. This is a great recommendation!!!

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
So I respect your opinion on these things, and I self admittedly am just starting to learn about recruiting and all that goes into it so if the drop off from these guys to the next tier isn’t that bad I believe you.

I think the worry here is we don’t seem to be tied to anyone from that next tier of guards, and we’re going to have to try to swoop in and grab a kid who’s going to be a reach for the conference again. I personally don’t know what other guards from the area we’ve been scouting/in touch with, but in the past it seems we would pop on some kids radar at the 11th hour and be his highest offer by a mile and sign in the end of the second signing period. I understood losing Darius, I think Reynolds stings more because he went to St Joes, who in my opinion, we should be beating for recruits because of the relative position of both of our programs.

Have heard we’re going hard after Daylen Berry from North Carolina, who at least has a Big East offer (even if it is from St. John’s).

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Thanks for the recommendation, will have to check it out, I usually make it up to philly twice a season depending on the schedule and usually stop downtown on my way out so will be nice to check out a new spot.

Appreciate it...its just my opinion, though. I watch a lot of basketball but I make a conscious decision to mostly leave kids alone about recruitment, etc. Plus I won't overtly pan any HS kid, really.

When you say "reach for the conference" in my opinion you are absolutely not wrong in many/most cases. I would just say there's so many guards that can play that are slightly undersized that I don't think its the end of the world, though.

Even decent sized, so many Kiers and Millers out there that can work for us.

Still a valid concern of you and others though. Really hurts us in the front court more, IMO, our inability to recruit against bigger boys. When we can't land Qudus Wahab of Flint Hill (Georgetown) it's not huge, but we aren't landing Noel Brown of Flint Hill (GW) either, and that's a problem.

We need more Campbells/Lewises/Thomases at some point and we don't need to necessarily even outrecruit the big boys to find 'em. Got those guys in the CAA...

JPgmuswim

Starter
Thanks for the recommendation, will have to check it out, I usually make it up to philly twice a season depending on the schedule and usually stop downtown on my way out so will be nice to check out a new spot.
Went to a bachelor party in Manayunk for an old teammate. Blue collar part of town, had a decent bar scene, it’s been about 10 years though. We hit up a hockey game beforehand so it made for a good night.

Wouldn’t be upset with Daylen Berry, looks like St. John’s just offered a few weeks ago. I’m sure when you say they are going hard for him, it’s because they fear there may soon be other competition that they can’t compete against like other A-10 teams...