2021 Recruiting

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Appreciate it...its just my opinion, though. I watch a lot of basketball but I make a conscious decision to mostly leave kids alone about recruitment, etc. Plus I won't overtly pan any HS kid, really.

When you say "reach for the conference" in my opinion you are absolutely not wrong in many/most cases. I would just say there's so many guards that can play that are slightly undersized that I don't think its the end of the world, though.

Even decent sized, so many Kiers and Millers out there that can work for us.

Still a valid concern of you and others though. Really hurts us in the front court more, IMO, our inability to recruit against bigger boys. When we can't land Qudus Wahab of Flint Hill (Georgetown) it's not huge, but we aren't landing Noel Brown of Flint Hill (GW) either, and that's a problem.

We need more Campbells/Lewises/Thomases at some point and we don't need to necessarily even outrecruit the big boys to find 'em. Got those guys in the CAA...

Could be wrong (duh) but don’t think we were ever seriously interested in Brown. He plays exclusively around the rim — not DP’s kind of big man.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Wouldn’t be upset with Daylen Berry, looks like St. John’s just offered a few weeks ago. I’m sure when you say they are going hard for him, it’s because they fear there may soon be other competition that they can’t compete against like other A-10 teams...

I just meant the staff is focused on Berry because it’s been known for a couple weeks that Reynolds was going to Saint Joe’s.

Fortunately for us, he is still way under the radar because of COVID. A 6-5 shooter who can play the 2 would be a great addition.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Could be wrong (duh) but don’t think we were ever seriously interested in Brown. He plays exclusively around the rim — not DP’s kind of big man.
Maybe Paulsens type of big man isn’t the ideal type. I mean we haven’t had a real one since shevon who wasn’t even his recruit. Could it be Paulsens philosophy is a little wack?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe Paulsens type of big man isn’t the ideal type. I mean we haven’t had a real one since shevon who wasn’t even his recruit. Could it be Paulsens philosophy is a little wack?

Basketball in general is moving away from bigs who exclusively play in the paint. I think it’s more a reflection of that and the scarcity of “true” bigs who can walk and chew gum at the same time, particularly at our level.

For all I know Brown might turn out to be great, but he’s a project.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah, but you’ve got to admit that we shouldn’t be losing recruits to St. Joes, especially local guys.

And it also sucks to be losing another big target to so-so programs in admittedly bigger leagues.

2021 is not going so well. Probably going to miss out on all our small forward prospects, too. Berry might be flying under the radar, but he’s got offers from St. John’s and other mid-majors who we have lost recruits to.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah, but you’ve got to admit that we shouldn’t be losing recruits to St. Joes, especially local guys.

And it also sucks to be losing another big target to so-so programs in admittedly bigger leagues.

2021 is not going so well. Probably going to miss out on all our small forward prospects, too. Berry might be flying under the radar, but he’s got offers from St. John’s and other mid-majors who we have lost recruits to.

Who do you see us currently recruiting at the 3? Between Miller, Daddy, Frazier and Gadsden, we already have 4 guys either on the roster or committed who can play that spot.

Basketball in general is moving away from bigs who exclusively play in the paint. I think it’s more a reflection of that and the scarcity of “true” bigs who can walk and chew gum at the same time, particularly at our level.

For all I know Brown might turn out to be great, but he’s a project.

Oh yeah, its not ever/even one in particular. Just using that as a bigs recruiting example really. Don't care too much GW has Brown.

But if its going away from post play I wish we didnt have a coach that used to mention Mike Muscala every seven seconds...

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Oh yeah, its not ever/even one in particular. Just using that as a bigs recruiting example really. Don't care too much GW has Brown.

But if its going away from post play I wish we didnt have a coach that used to mention Mike Muscala every seven seconds...

Not going away from post play altogether. Muscala played in the post but he could also step out and hit the 3. That’s the prototype.

Please don’t anyone think I’m saying Oduro is gonna play in the NBA, but he is developing the same skill set. He’s a pretty good shooter for an unheralded 6-9 kid.

But it’s why he has stuck in the NBA. He never would’ve gotten a look if he hadn’t shown he could play away from the basket.

My only point with Muscala is that when you openly brag about recruiting and developing him at Bucknell and thats part of your resume to land a "bigger" job (us)....it would just be cool if you recruited a center 3/4 as good as Muscala to the bigger job.

Thats just truth...I mean, you can say how its impossible to land x and y and z at Mason all you want, why is it possible at Bucknell but not here? And...why not stay at Bucknell if there but not possible here?

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
My only point with Muscala is that when you openly brag about recruiting and developing him at Bucknell and thats part of your resume to land a "bigger" job (us)....it would just be cool if you recruited a center 3/4 as good as Muscala to the bigger job.

Thats just truth...I mean, you can say how its impossible to land x and y and z at Mason all you want, why is it possible at Bucknell but not here? And...why not stay at Bucknell if there but not possible here?

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

Not disagreeing with you at all. I think if you hooked Dave up to truth serum he’d admit they got lucky as hell with Muscala and had no idea he was gonna be half the player he became.

No arguing he’s had a hard time recruiting bigs at Mason.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Who do you see us currently recruiting at the 3? Between Miller, Daddy, Frazier and Gadsden, we already have 4 guys either on the roster or committed who can play that spot.

Not saying they are going to play the 3, but Castro, Ilkur, and Charles are all listed as SF for 2021 and we be lucky to get any of them and I’d be surprised if any of them committed to us.

I also have a feeling Frazier will be more of a 2 and Gadsden will be more of a 4, but that’s just a hunch.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
How much of the blame in not landing these higher level guys rests with the assistants? We all seem to love Simpkins, but isn’t recruiting probably his number one responsibility? I‘ve been just as vocal about Dave and our recruiting as others, but I’m wondering myself why I seem to give the assistants a pass?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
How much of the blame in not landing these higher level guys rests with the assistants? We all seem to love Simpkins, but isn’t recruiting probably his number one responsibility? I‘ve been just as vocal about Dave and our recruiting as others, but I’m wondering myself why I seem to give the assistants a pass?

B/c the players ultimately know who calls the shots. If the head coach isn't allowing the assistants to promise certain things, it doesn't look like kids will commit. Just my assumption for the suckier teams (US) in most conferences.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
B/c the players ultimately know who calls the shots. If the head coach isn't allowing the assistants to promise certain things, it doesn't look like kids will commit. Just my assumption for the suckier teams (US) in most conferences.

I would guess it doesn't help that Paulsen has yet to earn a bid to the NCAA tournament as coach here.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I would guess it doesn't help that Paulsen has yet to earn a bid to the NCAA tournament as coach here.

Neither has Dambrot and And Billy Lange has a .465 winning percentage as a head coach in college (although, I guess he can sell them on being an assistant on a largely bad NBA team). Maybe the Philly teams get a bump in their recruiting profile because of their membership in the Big 5, but you can't tell me Ashley Howard and Billy Lange should be outrecruiting us based on the state of either of those programs.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe the Philly teams get a bump in their recruiting profile because of their membership in the Big 5, but you can't tell me Ashley Howard and Billy Lange should be outrecruiting us based on the state of either of those programs.

Agreed, although it remains to be seen if they are. It will tell on the court.