2021 Recruiting

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Agree the guy needs to go if we don't win this year or the next year we play!

As important as AJ, Javon, and Miller are to next season, his job is going to hinge on two sophomore players basically. Without big jumps from Oduro and XJ, I don’t see how we get the kind of improvement we need out of the team.

(caveat: It's also possible that Calixte becomes a beast his senior season, and either Hartwell and/or Polite are good enough to take the majority of the minutes at PG -- but I'm sticking with Oduro and XJ for now).

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
As important as AJ, Javon, and Miller are to next season, his job is going to hinge on two sophomore players basically. Without big jumps from Oduro and XJ, I don’t see how we get the kind of improvement we need out of the team.

(caveat: It's also possible that Calixte becomes a beast his senior season, and either Hartwell and/or Polite are good enough to take the majority of the minutes at PG -- but I'm sticking with Oduro and XJ for now).

I also think it depends on what the 2021 class looks like. Assuming it looks good will make the decision that much harder (winning season or not), especially with all the other circumstances I've beaten the horse on.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

Not trying to sound like Debbie Downer but Calixte becoming a beast..... don't bet the farm. Hartwell..... too damn small. Polite, I hope for and am looking for great things from him. 1 out of 3 in my book. Time will tell.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not trying to sound like Debbie Downer but Calixte becoming a beast..... don't bet the farm. Hartwell..... too damn small. Polite, I hope for and am looking for great things from him. 1 out of 3 in my book. Time will tell.

Hartwell is no smaller than Gilyard or Fatts Russell, so let’s stop with the “too small talk.” Besides, those were my alternate possibilities, things unexpected.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Seton Hall signs a 6 foot 6 4 star that plays 2 and 3.... maybe that helps us with Castro? Maybe I haven't had my morning caffeine and I feel optimistic?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
what's everyones best case scenarios for the remainder of our 3 2021 roster spots? Mine would be to snag Isaiah Folkes, Rafael Castro and Zaakir Williamson

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
what's everyones best case scenarios for the remainder of our 3 2021 roster spots? Mine would be to snag Isaiah Folkes, Rafael Castro and Zaakir Williamson

If we get Castro and Folkes this will be a home run class. With as young as we’re gonna be, I wouldn’t mind saving a couple spots for transfers even though Dave probably isn’t gonna do that LOL

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Castro is a unicorn for a program like Mason. We just don’t get 6-9 kids who can shoot the 3 and block shots like he does. If he comes to Fairfax, I will be pleasantly shocked.

Herndon

All-Conference
Castro is a unicorn for a program like Mason. We just don’t get 6-9 kids who can shoot the 3 and block shots like he does. If he comes to Fairfax, I will be pleasantly shocked.

I remember seeing his film before his recruiting blew up, and thinking "That kid looks like a rich man's Jon Arledge".
I'll be surprised, too, because of his offers, but I wouldn't be SHOCKED. We've signed kids that look like him before.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If we get Castro and Folkes this will be a home run class. With as young as we’re gonna be, I wouldn’t mind saving a couple spots for transfers even though Dave probably isn’t gonna do that LOL
Folkes is no Reynolds or DJ but he would he is more realistic of a Paulsen get that still could compete on A10 level.. Castro is probably unrealistic but Seton Hall just over recruited him with 2 guys so maybe that is no longer an option. Hope he doesn't choose another A10 team and I hope our staff put him as a priority.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Folkes is no Reynolds or DJ but he would he is more realistic of a Paulsen get that still could compete on A10 level.. Castro is probably unrealistic but Seton Hall just over recruited him with 2 guys so maybe that is no longer an option. Hope he doesn't choose another A10 team and I hope our staff put him as a priority.

Folkes is raw but his athleticism is ridiculous. It will be interesting to see how much he improves by taking his prep year at Putnam because they’ve turned out some really good college players.

And Castro has to be No. 1 on our board. He would most slide right into AJ’s spot and be a Day 1 starter.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not sure if Castro’s school list was posted last week on here when he tweeted this...

https://twitter.com/theylovecastro/status/1297338545510723585?s=21
Jesus that list looks completely different than the ones floating around on recruiting sites...Georgetown, Seton Hall and Wake were the only P5's I was aware of... NVM on my OG post. I need to temper expectations greatly with that list

Verbal updated.. still shows about 1/3 of those schools but Florida, Providence and Xavier have been added

He also prefaces his tweet with #offersandinterests. Please let it be those big schools are just sniffing around and dont offer lol

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Jesus that list looks completely different than the ones floating around on recruiting sites...Georgetown, Seton Hall and Wake were the only P5's I was aware of... NVM on my OG post. I need to temper expectations greatly with that list

Verbal updated.. still shows about 1/3 of those schools but Florida, Providence and Xavier have been added

He also prefaces his tweet with #offersandinterests. Please let it be those big schools are just sniffing around and dont offer lol

Florida and Xavier were the two that made me sad

JPgmuswim

Starter

Yeah I think we may need to worry about more than just Seton Hall, that said he posted it so it could be schools that have reached out and not all actual offers. No way of knowing.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah I think we may need to worry about more than just Seton Hall, that said he posted it so it could be schools that have reached out and not all actual offers. No way of knowing.
quick check tells me that 6 P5's have officially offered per Verbal and some of their message boards.... Florida, Providence, Seton Hall, Georgetown, Xavier and Miami.... YUCK

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
350.png