2021 Recruiting

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
what's everyones best case scenarios for the remainder of our 3 2021 roster spots? Mine would be to snag Isaiah Folkes, Rafael Castro and Zaakir Williamson

I’d like those three, but my hope is if not folkes maybe a Daylen Berry or the Peterson kid. We obviously need another big, but I’m not sure if Castro or Williamson are in reach or who is.

I would take the Kentucky kid but my hope is that we can get a kid a little higher on the pecking order than him as he seems like a bit of a risk.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I’d like those three, but my hope is if not folkes maybe a Daylen Berry or the Peterson kid. We obviously need another big, but I’m not sure if Castro or Williamson are in reach or who is.

I would take the Kentucky kid but my hope is that we can get a kid a little higher on the pecking order than him as he seems like a bit of a risk.

I'd go as far as to say if we don't land a big in this class it'll probably be a failure at this point and we'll have a very unbalanced roster.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I’m absolutely 100% OUT on Kentucky kid. We need a top 5 target of ours to commit. We have three left. Land two of them

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'd go as far as to say if we don't land a big in this class it'll probably be a failure at this point and we'll have a very unbalanced roster.
Paulsen is an expert in small ball.... oh wait no he’s not very good at all with unbalanced licenses

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I’m absolutely 100% OUT on Kentucky kid. We need a top 5 target of ours to commit. We have three left. Land two of them

ha I don’t blame you. I’d really prefer to not have another unknown project in this class but I suspect they saw something or know something. I didn’t see anything in the video that made me really want him like when I watched Berry or Peterson or Castro and a lot of others.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Are we out of the running for Ilver? I'd take him, too. What about this Abdou Samb guy on Verbal Commits? I know nothing about him, but it looks like URI offered him at one point before they decided to take every big available in the transfer portal.

So: Folkes or Berry
Castro or Ilver
Williamson or a surprise transfer big we don't know about yet.

Would round out the recruiting class pretty nicely

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Are we out of the running for Ilver? I'd take him, too. What about this Abdou Samb guy on Verbal Commits? I know nothing about him, but it looks like URI offered him at one point before they decided to take every big available in the transfer portal.

So: Folkes or Berry
Castro or Ilver
Williamson or a surprise transfer big we don't know about yet.

Would round out the recruiting class pretty nicely

I am intrigued by Abdou Samb and would prefer him to fill the spot being vacated by Calixte. Has good size and looks pretty versatile although I doubt he really shoots the 3 as well as he did in that one video.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I have to watch tape again on Samb but if I recall I enjoyed what I saw. No idea where they are with any of these guys, but I certainly would like to see some of them commit. I’d like folkes berry or Peterson, plus samb if I had my way. Maybe 2 of the first 3 and samb or Castro.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Thanks- I didn't need to watch much to be convinced for wanting him lol.

That’s the one. If Samb is really the guy in this video and it’s not just a completely misleading collection of highlight clips, consider me puzzled why he doesn’t have a slew of P5 offers. He looks like a monster.

Yeah- I am with you. He looks out of the same boat as the guy that Bonaventure offered last night and Syracuse is heavily interested in. Also the same mold as Castro. Runs the floor well, big strong and physical.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
That’s the one. If Samb is really the guy in this video and it’s not just a completely misleading collection of highlight clips, consider me puzzled why he doesn’t have a slew of P5 offers. He looks like a monster.
sign me up.... but we are going against ECU and URI... two guys that actually sign these kids... I know it is weird saying ECU's name.... but ECU just signed two 6 foot 8 dudes in 2021 so they might be out

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
sign me up.... but we are going against ECU and URI... two guys that actually sign these kids... I know it is weird saying ECU's name.... but ECU just signed two 6 foot 8 dudes in 2021 so they might be out

URI has so many bigs on the roster for the next 2 years, who knows if Cox is still looking for another one?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
he offered in July... hasn't signed one since then so who knows

Yeah I was just looking at their roster ... Mitchell twins, Harris and Walker are all juniors. I wish him luck trying to keep them all happy with 80 minutes of available playing time at the 4 and 5 spots. Seem to recall they have another 6-7 kid who redshirted last season and is a 4.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah I was just looking at their roster ... Mitchell twins, Harris and Walker are all juniors. I wish him luck trying to keep them all happy with 80 minutes of available playing time at the 4 and 5 spots. Seem to recall they have another 6-7 kid who redshirted last season and is a 4.
yea JUCO kid.. Martin will also play the 3 and Walker can in spurts as well. Balance isn't great at Rhody but they have enough mins to keep everyone happy. They do have a freshman wing as well. Super excited to watch Fats and Jalen Carey lineup...

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
yea JUCO kid.. Martin will also play the 3 and Walker can in spurts as well. Balance isn't great at Rhody but they have enough mins to keep everyone happy. They do have a freshman wing as well. Super excited to watch Fats and Jalen Carey lineup...

I feel like all of these guys are going to grab some socks and bars of soap and beat the shit out of Fatts if he shoots at his normal clip every game. I'd be less worried about minutes, more worried about how many looks you'll be able to get in that offense with him running it.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I feel like all of these guys are going to grab some socks and bars of soap and beat the shit out of Fatts if he shoots at his normal clip every game. I'd be less worried about minutes, more worried about how many looks you'll be able to get in that offense with him running it.
Sheppard and Carey should take over the Dowtin role if Cox is smart.. no way Fats survives the season shooting it 40 times a game with a roster of that quality... TBH he might not even be a top 3 player on that team next year if he starts out slow scoring

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Sheppard and Carey should take over the Dowtin role if Cox is smart.. no way Fats survives the season shooting it 40 times a game with a roster of that quality... TBH he might not even be a top 3 player on that team next year if he starts out slow scoring

The biggest issue I see with that plan is Sheppard’s calling card is his shooting. Dowtin did a great job of facilitating and didn’t need a lot of shots so he fit well with the way Fatts plays. It remains to be seen if Sheppard or Carey can do that because neither are natural point guards.

Fatts looks like he should be the PG but he doesn’t create for anyone but himself.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The biggest issue I see with that plan is Sheppard’s calling card is his shooting. Dowtin did a great job of facilitating and didn’t need a lot of shots so he fit well with the way Fatts plays. It remains to be seen if Sheppard or Carey can do that because neither are natural point guards.

Fatts looks like he should be the PG but he doesn’t create for anyone but himself.

I'm going to agree and disagree with you.

Fatts is not a bad distributor. He averaged 4.6 assists per game. For a frame of reference, Javon had our best assist averages and only had 2.6, our team average was 10.9. Fatts can and does distribute the ball, the problem is like you and I both said, he shoots it a shit ton too. Fatts doesn't play well without the ball in his hand and is pretty much ineffective off the ball so if they are planning on using any of these bigs on the perimeter they are going to be boned.