2021 Recruiting

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You don’t think a 3-time all-Patriot League player could’ve contributed at Mason?
is that at all what I said? I said 6 mins of grainy highlight video of a kid playing in a high school league against 5 foot white dudes makes EP (Paulsen's burner) think of an All Patriot League player who scored 1000+pts at Bucknell?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
is that at all what I said? I said 6 mins of grainy highlight video of a kid playing in a high school league against 5 foot white dudes makes EP (Paulsen's burner) think of an All Patriot League player who scored 1000+pts at Bucknell?

My bad, misread your post

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This is how much a video will tell you about a kid.

https://mobile.twitter.com/_ishoot_3s/status/1295429058814259205

He looks like he can be A10 POY lol.

I care more about a kids offer sheet.

A, that was 41 seconds. B, none of those clips were in actual games. C, some of the best players we've ever had had crap offer sheets (Hancock, Marquise, Otis); some of the most disappointing were more highly ranked/recruited (Copes, Holloway, Mar). Thus, it is best not to get too excited or too upset about any of the following: rankings, offer sheets, accolades, or highlight videos.

Having said that, I'd be disappointed if we went into 2021 with Kolek, XJ, Polite, Hartwell, and Vinson all on the roster together.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Did you all realize that there are only four A10 teams without a 4 star player on their roster? Duquesne, Bonnies, Richmond, and your George Mason Patriots.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
A, that was 41 seconds. B, none of those clips were in actual games. C, some of the best players we've ever had had crap offer sheets (Hancock, Marquise, Otis); some of the most disappointing were more highly ranked/recruited (Copes, Holloway, Mar). Thus, it is best not to get too excited or too upset about any of the following: rankings, offer sheets, accolades, or highlight videos.

Having said that, I'd be disappointed if we went into 2021 with Kolek, XJ, Polite, Hartwell, and Vinson all on the roster together.

Why?

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Did you all realize that there are only four A10 teams without a 4 star player on their roster? Duquesne, Bonnies, Richmond, and your George Mason Patriots.

I did not, that’s pretty wild. Wonder if every team was able to recruit a 4 star or if that includes transfers as well.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Mason's 2.143 stars on their rosters is lowest in A10 for guys currently committed.... just saying since we want to bring the stars into it

FreeGunston12

All-American
Funny that those (other than Mason) are probably considered above average to good programs in the conference. Lot of good the 4* recruits are doing Fordham and LaSalle.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Funny that those (other than Mason) are probably considered above average to good programs in the conference. Lot of good the 4* recruits are doing Fordham and LaSalle.
Lasalle's star hasn't hit the floor yet lol. Clifton Moore could be an absolute beast... no clue about Fordham's other than he has been hurt quite a bit and chose Fordham over better offers than Mt St Mary's

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Too many players who are going to want to have the ball in their hands to make the last pass, not enough shooters (with the exception of Hartwell, but Hartwell is way undersized as a 2, so there is that, too). Maybe I'm wrong about Polite and Kolek and they'll be fine pairing with XJ off the ball, but XJ HAS to have the ball in his hands for him to be effective.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Lasalle's star hasn't hit the floor yet lol. Clifton Moore could be an absolute beast... no clue about Fordham's other than he has been hurt quite a bit and chose Fordham over better offers than Mt St Mary's
Well they are still crap programs.

Look we'd all go crazy if we even sniffed a 4*. The staff definitely needs to bring in better talent. They also need to get more out of what they have got. Last year was totally unacceptable, injuries or not.

I guess I'm just against setting an arbitrary line and saying that having 1 4* committ is what separates us from the rest of the A-10. Especially when you look at the company kept on both sides.

G M U

Starter

Player A: Rated as a 4 star recruit, top 100 at his position, holds offers from Florida, Providence, Ohio St.

Player B: Rated as a 2 star recruit, unranked at his position, holds offers from NJIT, UT Martin, Troy

Which player would you want?

Also, we tend to quote Hancock, Otis as working out and having crap offers but how many kids with crap offers also just become benchwarmers at no name schools?

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Well they are still crap programs.

Look we'd all go crazy if we even sniffed a 4*. The staff definitely needs to bring in better talent. They also need to get more out of what they have got. Last year was totally unacceptable, injuries or not.

I guess I'm just against setting an arbitrary line and saying that having 1 4* committ is what separates us from the rest of the A-10. Especially when you look at the company kept on both sides.

I'm with you, I don't think we are a 4 star away from winning the A10. However, I think it's one of those things where if that's what we are competing against night in night out, we should expect that we can land a recruit of that caliber as well. If almost every other team in the A10 can do it, why not Mason?

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Player A: Rated as a 4 star recruit, top 100 at his position, holds offers from Florida, Providence, Ohio St.

Player B: Rated as a 2 star recruit, unranked at his position, holds offers from NJIT, UT Martin, Troy

Which player would you want?

Also, we tend to quote Hancock, Otis as working out and having crap offers but how many kids with crap offers also just become benchwarmers at no name schools?

80+% of them. Also how many no namers have WE burned through in the last 5 years in transfers alone, leading us to be one of the youngest teams for the better part of a decade?

FreeGunston12

All-American
I'm with you, I don't think we are a 4 star away from winning the A10. However, I think it's one of those things where if that's what we are competing against night in night out, we should expect that we can land a recruit of that caliber as well. If almost every other team in the A10 can do it, why not Mason?
I'm also not sure even the best of recruiters would have an easy time selling Mason right now. What's the pitch? "Come play for a school that has struggled to be relevant since switching conferences, where so few people attend the games that banners had to be put up to cover seats to make it less embarrassing, in an outdated arena, in a community that couldn't care less, in a city thats close enough to a metropolitan area to have traffic but not close enough to have a metro stop or really anything to do, at a school with ok academics, . . . ".

I love the place, but I just don't see how anyone is supposed to recruit here right now.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Too many players who are going to want to have the ball in their hands to make the last pass, not enough shooters (with the exception of Hartwell, but Hartwell is way undersized as a 2, so there is that, too). Maybe I'm wrong about Polite and Kolek and they'll be fine pairing with XJ off the ball, but XJ HAS to have the ball in his hands for him to be effective.

Why are we recruiting DJ and Reynolds in this class? Both are ball-dominant guards.