2021 Recruiting

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm also not sure even the best of recruiters would have an easy time selling Mason right now. What's the pitch? "Come play for a school that has struggled to be relevant since switching conferences, where so few people attend the games that banners had to be put up to cover seats to make it less embarrassing, in an outdated arena, in a community that couldn't care less, in a city thats close enough to a metropolitan area to have traffic but not close enough to have a metro stop or really anything to do, at a school with ok academics, . . . ".

I love the place, but I just don't see how anyone is supposed to recruit here right now.

Easy, playing time in a conference with a national TV deal. If the kids are really that good and we obviously aren’t, 4 out of our 5 positions should have 40 minutes of available PT right now. New facilities.

We aren’t the only school in the A10 that struggles with filling the stadium, and somehow they are able to land kids of this caliber, why not us. What are these other schools doing that we aren’t?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Well they are still crap programs.

Look we'd all go crazy if we even sniffed a 4*. The staff definitely needs to bring in better talent. They also need to get more out of what they have got. Last year was totally unacceptable, injuries or not.

I guess I'm just against setting an arbitrary line and saying that having 1 4* committ is what separates us from the rest of the A-10. Especially when you look at the company kept on both sides.
I agree man. Lasalle also has much worse facilities than us and they took a kid that has had issues who was a top 25 recruit. Maybe it pans out. They also had a kid transfer away to Providence. I think they are in a much worse spot than us to succeed both now and in the future....

We are not 1 4 star away but a roster full of project players isn't going to cut it anymore. How many years can we be rebuilding before we try something new? Being top 5 in really good players lists and still not landing any of them doesn't cut it for me.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Why are we recruiting DJ and Reynolds in this class? Both are ball-dominant guards.
Because they are better than anyone we have on roster currently and have much higher ceilings. Recruiting PGs from no name areas with barely any offers isn't even close to being the same Jim

There is a distinct difference in recruiting over talent or filling the recruiting pool with question marks at the same position.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Easy, playing time in a conference with a national TV deal. If the kids are really that good and we obviously aren’t, 4 out of our 5 positions should have 40 minutes of available PT right now. New facilities.

We aren’t the only school in the A10 that struggles with filling the stadium, and somehow they are able to land kids of this caliber, why not us. What are these other schools doing that we aren’t?
Ha yeah. Come play 10ish games a year on ESPN+ and Stadium.

And if you think any 4* is worried about playing time, I'd argue with you. Even walkons always think they're going to come in and win the starting job right away.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Ha yeah. Come play 10ish games a year on ESPN+ and Stadium.

And if you think any 4* is worried about playing time, I'd argue with you. Even walkons always think they're going to come in and win the starting job right away.

I think that it's certainly a factor, and a big one at that if we can guarantee starters minutes to alot of these positions starting in 2021. You think Jack Tempchkin thinks he was going to be the starting PG here? Or even see the floor?

I think when you compare our guaranteed starting minutes, to maybe getting starters minutes in the first or second season at other A10 schools, that's a sell for some kids.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Because they are better than anyone we have on roster currently and have much higher ceilings.

What a ludicrous statement this is. They haven’t even graduated high school yet. While I love Darius, I’d take Polite over Reynolds every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
What a ludicrous statement this is. They haven’t even graduated high school yet. While I love Darius, I’d take Polite over Reynolds every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
his offer sheet dictates Paulsen either hit the lottery or you may in fact be wrong yet again

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If I’m wrong so is Simpkins. I would imagine his opinion carries a bit more weight and he thinks Polite is gonna be a star at Mason.
You know that for a fact Simpkins would choose Polite over Reynolds if he could in fact land Reynolds? You are just making things up again. Reynolds has the same exact offer sheet as Polite plus Xavier, Gtown, Richmond, vcu, St Joes, Seton Hall and Temple lol. SO SILLY

And this is not meant to throw shade on Polite.. I would take him over 90% of the recruits we have seen in the Paulsen tenure..... but Reynolds and Darius are on another planet

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
You know that for a fact Simpkins would choose Polite over Reynolds if he could in fact land Reynolds? You are just making things up again. Reynolds has the same exact offer sheet as Polite plus Xavier, Gtown, Richmond, vcu, St Joes, Seton Hall and Temple lol. SO SILLY

And this is not meant to throw shade on Polite.. I would take him over 90% of the recruits we have seen in the Paulsen tenure..... but Reynolds and Darius are on another planet

Darius would legit be a Day 1 game-changer at Mason. Reynolds is good but overrated. They’re not in the same stratosphere.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Darius would legit be a Day 1 game-changer at Mason. Reynolds is good but overrated. They’re not in the same stratosphere.
you were not saying this 5-9 weeks ago on the same thread regarding Reynolds... now that we have I am guessing both heard from our sources that he is heading north your opinion changes to that he is overrated. This is becoming a pattern Jim. Now this no name kid from Kentucky has got crazy game and is super underrated to you? SHEESH

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
you were not saying this 5-9 weeks ago on the same thread regarding Reynolds... now that we have I am guessing both heard from our sources that he is heading north your opinion changes to that he is overrated. This is becoming a pattern Jim. Now this no name kid from Kentucky has got crazy game and is super underrated to you? SHEESH

Never said Vinson has crazy game. He looks like he can play. And why would you be surprised that I didn’t publicly express misgivings about a recruit that has Mason on his final list? Undermining our players, coaches and recruits is your specialty, not mine.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Never said Vinson has crazy game. He looks like he can play. And why would you be surprised that I didn’t publicly express misgivings about a recruit that has Mason on his final list? Undermining our players, coaches and recruits is your specialty, not mine.
what's overrated about his game? The kid is extremely special... and nice one Jim totally believable... you definitely know more than vcu, Xavier and St Joe's coaching staffs. The lack of city council meetings in Chesterfield has left you quite bored I guess

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
what's overrated about his game? The kid is extremely special... and nice one Jim totally believable... you definitely no more than vcu, Xavier and St Joe's coaching staffs. The lack of city council meetings in Chesterfield has left you quite bored I guess

If he had committable offers to vcu and Xavier, he wouldn’t be leaning toward signing with the second-worst team in the
A-10. But for some reason you continue to think all offers are the same.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If he had committable offers to vcu and Xavier, he wouldn’t be leaning toward signing with the second-worst team in the
Billy Lange>>>>>>>>>>> Dave Paulsen

Also vcu fans seem to think he has a commitable offer but per usual you probably know best... no idea about Xavier but now is typically the time you leave them off of your final 5 list.....

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
An example of an uncommittable offer is hopefully what Paulsen has with the 23 year old JUCO kid... am I getting there sensei?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
@sleeperpick @gmujim92 I'm in no mood today, my wife lost her job and this is stupid talk. Be nice to one another. We all root for the same team. Please behave. This is the 2021 Recruiting thread not the "Sleeperpick vs GMUJim version 393 thread"