2021 Recruiting

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
he looked huge compared to the kids guarding him that is for sure

I agree, but I did see things that intrigued me from a skill perspective that we've talked about.

Bit of coach speak but this stood out "
“He’s a tireless worker and the accolades that come to him are entirely deserved,” said Highlands coach Kevin Listerman. “He’s just relentless in the pursuit of becoming the absolute best player he can become.”

This sounds like the player Dave always goes after.

I have a feeling he is touching the iceberg on the offers much like Daylen Berry was in June when Mason came around.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree, but I did see things that intrigued me from a skill perspective that we've talked about.

Bit of coach speak but this stood out "
“He’s a tireless worker and the accolades that come to him are entirely deserved,” said Highlands coach Kevin Listerman. “He’s just relentless in the pursuit of becoming the absolute best player he can become.”

This sounds like the player Dave always goes after.

I have a feeling he is touching the iceberg on the offers much like Daylen Berry was in June when Mason came around.

I think literally every highschool coach would say that about any of their players getting D1 offers so I don't put a ton of stock into that. Any highschool kid who is getting recruited by D1 schools is putting in work just like that.

Curious where this kid plays his AAU ball, because his highschool competition is certainly lacking.

The good: court vision is above average. Those are some tough passes to get on the money, even against lesser talent. Stuff you don't usually see at that level. Defensive rotation, quick enough to get from the elbow to the low block which like @sleeperpick said, is kinda important in our defense and something we haven't really had (maybe Javon?) out of our guards.

I think from a technical standpoint his shot is fine, but his release is too slow, he's going to struggle to get that off against A10 competition. Aside from his passing, offensively that highlight reel is all a result of him being bigger/faster than his competition, I've got some doubts about how well a lot of what you are seeing would translate to the college game. Decent spin move which for kids like him are important for being able to get to the rim at the college level.

I think he'd be more of a project player, would have to make some huge strides to ever earn starter minutes. Probably would get recruited over before that could ever happen.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Great court vision and passer. Nice shooting touch as well. 6'3"? He is either taller than that or he's playing against undersized competition in many cases.

6'3 looks accurate. I don't think a single guy guarding him was over 6'.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I think literally every highschool coach would say that about any of their players getting D1 offers so I don't put a ton of stock into that. Any highschool kid who is getting recruited by D1 schools is putting in work just like that.

Curious where this kid plays his AAU ball, because his highschool competition is certainly lacking.

The good: court vision is above average. Those are some tough passes to get on the money, even against lesser talent. Stuff you don't usually see at that level. Defensive rotation, quick enough to get from the elbow to the low block which like @sleeperpick said, is kinda important in our defense and something we haven't really had (maybe Javon?) out of our guards.

I think from a technical standpoint his shot is fine, but his release is too slow, he's going to struggle to get that off against A10 competition. Aside from his passing, offensively that highlight reel is all a result of him being bigger/faster than his competition, I've got some doubts about how well a lot of what you are seeing would translate to the college game. Decent spin move which for kids like him are important for being able to get to the rim at the college level.

I think he'd be more of a project player, would have to make some huge strides to ever earn starter minutes. Probably would get recruited over before that could ever happen.

All fair points, I'm not really sure what to make of him other than he looks like the athletic guard Dave has pursued the last few years. I did like the ballhandling and passing ability however. That vision seemed natural.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
All fair points, I'm not really sure what to make of him other than he looks like the athletic guard Dave has pursued the last few years. I did like the ballhandling and passing ability however. That vision seemed natural.

Yeah agreed, court vision is probably one of the more difficult things to teach as well so def. interesting to see a kid that early on who seems to get it. Being a good passer isn't like being a sharp shooter though, you'll never carve out role player minutes by just being a good floor general. Good passers need to play starter minutes to have an impact on the game.

Rewatching that video I'd say about half of those little pull up mid range shots would either be blocked or significantly altered by D1 level competition.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah agreed, court vision is probably one of the more difficult things to teach as well so def. interesting to see a kid that early on who seems to get it. Being a good passer isn't like being a sharp shooter though, you'll never carve out role player minutes by just being a good floor general. Good passers need to play starter minutes to have an impact on the game.

Rewatching that video I'd say about half of those little pull up mid range shots would either be blocked or significantly altered by D1 level competition.

I wonder if shot quickness could be taught a bit more as he develops and matures. I'm interested to see what happens with his offer sheet.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I wonder if shot quickness could be taught a bit more as he develops and matures. I'm interested to see what happens with his offer sheet.

It def can, and it's alot easier to teach than trying to fix jacked up form, but it will def. impact his shooting percentage in a big way the first 2-3 years while he gets it figured out, along with learning how to shoot over guys his own height and taller who are more athletic.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It def can, and it's alot easier to teach than trying to fix jacked up form, but it will def. impact his shooting percentage in a big way the first 2-3 years while he gets it figured out, along with learning how to shoot over guys his own height and taller who are more athletic.

I'm thinking its also something that can be worked on over the next year before he even hits D1 basketball as well.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Kier had the slowest release I’ve ever seen and shot 3s basically flat-footed and I still don’t recall many of his shots getting blocked. Not saying this kid will become Kier by any means, but nobody saw Kier becoming Kier except our staff

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Kier had the slowest release I’ve ever seen and shot 3s basically flat-footed and I still don’t recall many of his shots getting blocked. Not saying this kid will become Kier by any means, but nobody saw Kier becoming Kier except our staff

Kier was smart enough not to take 3s unless he was wide open. The weird thing is, his release was much faster and he got a lot more lift when he was inside the arc. Must have been a confidence thing about his range.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm not going to lie, considering we have Kolek, XJ, and Polite already, I'd prefer someone other than Vinson if I had the choice.

Agree, if the big board was in my office he’d be towards the bottom. Really need to land at least 1 big in this class, maybe 2 if we can redshirt one as a project.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm not going to lie, considering we have Kolek, XJ, and Polite already, I'd prefer someone other than Vinson if I had the choice.

He seems a bit redundant, but it also seems like the staff would like 1-2 guards to supplement with Gladsden. And then obviosuly they need a big (Williamson, Abdou, whoever)

ephoops

Starter

I just watched his tape.
Vinson reminds me of a player named Chris Hass at Bucknell who Paulsen found in a little school in in Pellston, MI. Pellston played Class D and had 300 kids in the entire high school. Bryson Johnson and Hass played together for three years at Bucknell. Hass went on to be a three-time all Patriot League player who had 31 pts in a game at Villanova, 29 at NC State, 26 at Wake Forest and 21 at Michigan in his career. Nate Sestina (a Paulsen recruit) started at Kentucky last year as a grad transfer from Bucknell. He grew up in a town with 1,800 people.

Hass played very little as a freshman and in his last three years scored 1,400 points at Bucknell. Vinson looks to be much more athletic than Hass.

My point being that sometimes you find kids from small schools in small town who can play.

Last edited:

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I just watched his tape.
Vinson reminds me of a player named Chris Hass at Bucknell who Paulsen found in a little school in in Pellston, MI. Pellston played Class D and had 300 kids in the entire high school. Bryson Johnson and Hass played together for three years at Bucknell. Hass went on to be a three-time all Patriot League player who had 31 pts in a game at Villanova, 29 at NC State, 26 at Wake Forest and 21 at Michigan in his career. Nate Sestina (a Paulsen recruit) started at Kentucky last year as a grad transfer from Bucknell. He grew up in a town with 1,800 people.

Hass played very little as a freshman and in his last three years scored 1,400 points at Bucknell. Vinson looks to be much more athletic than Hass.

My point being that sometimes you find kids from small schools in small town who can play.
yea watching 6 min of this video totally reminds me of an All Patriot League player as well

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I just watched his tape.

Great point. It always amazed me that ODU found Kent Bazemore in a county that had less than 20,000 people. He played about the lowest-level AAU imaginable and now he’s in the NBA.

There is good basketball being played in places that nobody visits or even knows about.