Welcome Coach Tony Skinn!

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
A couple of comments on the comments regarding the "what do you think of CTS performance so far" question:

I don't think you can ding CTS for Okojie leaving. CTS did everything he could to keep him. The NIL demands from Okojie were just too much (ridiculous comes to mind). In the end, the fact that Okojie made it solely about money makes him not a good fit for our program. If we could have met his demands, it would have created dissension throughout the rest of the team. Mason does not have the NIL resources to bring in people that are making top tier demands for NIL money. We need people that are going to look at the whole picture (Coach, team, program, school, NIL, etc.) and not just the NIL aspect. That is how Tony is building our team and he seems to be a master at it based on the evidence so far.

I find it interesting that the people that were scheduled to go with the team on the Bahamas trip, the ones whose vacation plans were changed at the last minute, aren't nearly as upset about it being canceled as other fans. It is being called a disaster or other sky is falling type adjectives. I don't see it as that big of a deal. Yes, it was some bad publicity, but, that has already died off. We got all of the extra practicing in, the only thing we lost was a couple of practice games and a little bit of an island travel reward for the team. I know Tony takes responsibility as the head coach and would say that in response to my comment here, but, I don't know if he was actually the one responsible for whatever double checks were missed or if it was someone above/outside his management. Maybe/maybe not. I know I'll be in the minority here, but, when you hire what was a reputable (at least at the time) company that specializes in these things to handle all the planning, if you have to double check every single step of the process, you kind of defeat the purpose of hiring the company in the first place. So, I am not sure how much we can even criticize whoever had responsibility for interacting with this company. The issue was known before anyone went anywhere without a reservation. The school tried to make alternate plans, but, when considering what they knew had fallen through, not knowing if other things were not taken care of, and the exorbitant cost of making alternate plans (like last second charters) that it was best to cancel.

My gut was to give him a 10, but, I'll give him a 9.9/10 at this point to leave myself a little room for some small thing he might not have done perfectly.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think until he finishes top 4 I can’t rate him a 9 and until we are a legit bubble team anything above a 9.5.

I’d say he’s at 7.5/8 for me right now. Things that dinged me from last season: conference record (9-9), losing to vcu at home (although we came damn close to beating them), losing to Fordham when they were not very good last season, the first GW game, both Loyola games, and the tournament loss to St. Joes.

The offseason is too early to really judge. We’d have to see the players in a real situation first and how the team plays together by January before you can say he knocked it out of the park. I’m most excited about Johnson and Anderson (obviously), but most curious about the freshmen and Ball (need to see if he can develop players who stick around).

Very excited for the future under Coach Skinn. But he still has some things to prove. It’s only year two of his head coaching career.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Most important thing IMHO is he proved he can coach in-game and be a first-class representative of the program to the public. We already knew he can recruit his a** off.

Lost several close games in conference that could’ve (should’ve?) been wins and that cost us the top-4 finish. But as noted in the previous post, considering how well he managed what had to have been a tremendously disruptive locker room presence as a first-time HC, I feel no issue whatsoever giving him a 10/10. He kept the team together and fighting (except for one selfish douchebag).

Tony frankly has been better than I expected, and by a wide margin. Can’t wait to see what he does in Year 2.

DRK331

Starter
Jared Billups and Brayden O'Connor are putting in the work!

Make sure to make it to as many George Mason Men's (and Women's) Basketball games as possible at EBA this year!! Tony Skinn is trying to make this a historic year!!

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
He looks like he could play in the NFL.

O’Connor has a smooth shot with a high release. He looks like he could be the set shooter we’ve been missing since Newton went ice cold in the back half of the season.
Guys like O'connor and Quigley are going to be really important this year. I feel like they have chips on their shoulder and just put in a ton of work in the gym.

Really just excited for the season and what this group can do.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He looks like he could play in the NFL.

O’Connor has a smooth shot with a high release. He looks like he could be the set shooter we’ve been missing since Newton went ice cold in the back half of the season.
Imagine the dimension it adds to this team if Billups can become a consistent shooter...

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Make sure to make it to as many George Mason Men's (and Women's) Basketball games as possible at EBA this year!! Tony Skinn is trying to make this a historic year!!
Would of liked to have seen atleast 1 made 3pt from Billups in that video.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Would of liked to have seen atleast 1 made 3pt from Billups in that video.

There were at least 2. You can’t see them but you can hear the swish of the net.

Not that it really matters. They aren’t being guarded in the video (or at least very hard).

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
There were at least 2. You can’t see them but you can hear the swish of the net.

Not that it really matters. They aren’t being guarded in the video (or at least very hard).
Thankfully Skinn has built a roster where we don't need to count on this happening.
I'd be perfectly happy if Billups shot somewhere between 30 and 35% for the year from deep. If he truly has been working hard and is capable, there is no reason that shouldn't be achievable. Even somewhere around 28% would be better and an improvement.

He is overall for his career 25% from deep and was 23% last year.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'd be perfectly happy if Billups shot somewhere between 30 and 35% for the year from deep. If he truly has been working hard and is capable, no reason that shouldn't be achievable. Even somewhere around 28% would be better and an improvement.

He is overall for his career 25% from deep and was 23% last year.

30% would be nice but we all know he will be on the floor for his defense and rebounding and that the vast majority of his points will come from backdoor cuts, putbacks and runouts.

The question is how good will Anderson be? And can O’Connor, Quigley, Ball, and Begg provide that secondary shooting to make it hard to just focus on shutting down Maddox?

I’m also curious how Newton figures in because I’m not going to lie I’d love to see a lockdown lineup that includes Johnson, Billups, Newton, and Emejuru that straight suffocates the other team. But only if they can actually score on the other side.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
30% would be nice but we all know he will be on the floor for his defense and rebounding and that the vast majority of his points will come from backdoor cuts, putbacks and runouts.

The question is how good will Anderson be? And can O’Connor, Quigley, Ball, and Begg provide that secondary shooting to make it hard to just focus on shutting down Maddox?

I’m also curious how Newton figures in because I’m not going to lie I’d love to see a lockdown lineup that includes Johnson, Billups, Newton, and Emejuru that straight suffocates the other team. But only if they can actually score on the other side.
Tony has many more options than last season. It will be interesting to see how he puts all the pieces together because we can play big or small, offense-focused or defense depending on the game situation, and legit go 10 deep without including the freshmen. Gonna be balls to the wall for playing time.

I’m most curious if Haynes and Emejeru can play together effectively because it would be nice to finally not get bullied in the paint against bigger teams.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I’m cautiously optimistic, I think the season will depend on Mason finding its PG. Can KD carry the load, will it be PG by committee? Unfortunately from what I’m hearing, that answer is unknown at this point.

Bryan seems to think it will be point guard by committee and that Begg will play more than we are thinking right now.

But if the offense doesn’t require a ball dominant PG, having multiple guys who can bring the ball up and initiate the offense isn’t a negative. The question is do we have someone who can find buckets when the offense isn’t working?

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Bryan seems to think it will be point guard by committee and that Begg will play more than we are thinking right now.

But if the offense doesn’t require a ball dominant PG, having multiple guys who can bring the ball up and initiate the offense isn’t a negative. The question is do we have someone who can find buckets when the offense isn’t working?
Take it with a grain of salt because it is completely anecdotal, but the one practice I saw this summer it seemed like KD was getting more “starter” reps, and although it was clear they were both learning the offense, KD seemed to be further along in knowing how things were supposed to run (at least that day). Obviously a lot can change in a month but I tend to think KD didn’t come here for his last year to come off the bench and the starting job would have to be his to lose this offseason. Very good chance I’m completely wrong though, will be interested to see if we go with a true committee approach or if one ends up taking starter type minutes, or if Begg comes off the bench early but they leave KD on the floor in the 2 spot.

All I know is there is more depth there than in the past few years and that is a good problem to have.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Take it with a grain of salt because it is completely anecdotal, but the one practice I saw this summer it seemed like KD was getting more “starter” reps, and although it was clear they were both learning the offense, KD seemed to be further along in knowing how things were supposed to run (at least that day). Obviously a lot can change in a month but I tend to think KD didn’t come here for his last year to come off the bench and the starting job would have to be his to lose this offseason. Very good chance I’m completely wrong though, will be interested to see if we go with a true committee approach or if one ends up taking starter type minutes, or if Begg comes off the bench early but they leave KD on the floor in the 2 spot.

All I know is there is more depth there than in the past few years and that is a good problem to have.
Id be absolutely shocked if KD isn’t playing 30 mins/game, the majority of which at the point.

Now if that experiment doesn’t work, then we could see something else. But all indications are that is the plan.