Welcome Coach Tony Skinn!

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
And more than twice what our coach makes.

Mason needs to get its collective head out of its a** pronto. No joke, if Tony walks because the administration won’t stop with its typical foot-dragging bullshit, I’m done.
I was more making the point that UMass’s financial commitment to basketball doesn’t line up with their reasoning for joining the MAC. Seems like they’d be better served to allocate some of that to their shitty football program that’s 0-8 vs the MAC the past 3 years.

Regarding Mason, I wouldn’t mind seeing a one year extension for Tony, but not seeing it (to date) doesn’t really bother me. Still has 4 years left on his deal. Go win 22-23 games next season and I’d fully expect to see something.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I was more making the point that UMass’s financial commitment to basketball doesn’t line up with their reasoning for joining the MAC. Seems like they’d be better served to allocate some of that to their shitty football program that’s 0-8 vs the MAC the past 3 years.

Regarding Mason, I wouldn’t mind seeing a one year extension for Tony, but not seeing it (to date) doesn’t really bother me. Still has 4 years left on his deal. Go win 22-23 games next season and I’d fully expect to see something.

Does a dominant program in the MAC guarantee an NCAA bid and what is the financial and non-financial profits to that?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

It seems the UMass administration has rightly concluded that non-P5 football is a pointless money pit and they’ll try to squeeze what they can out of it in the MAC, while investing heavily in the sport where they have a chance to compete on the highest stage.

As for Mason, the symbolic value of giving an extension to the face of the university goes well beyond simply adding a year to his contract. It says you’re our guy and we’re all-in behind you. Not to much to ask for one of our own.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

I understand and see the point that there’s no “rush” for the extension for Tony.

But considering what he did in year 1, I’d much rather us get ahead of it than finish year 2 and it becomes some reactionary fire drill.

My worry is the same as @gmujim92. We have a special year or another solid season, Tony walks because he doesn’t feel appreciated at our last gasp fire drill offer. I’m concerned we are going down the same road and nothing ever f**king changes.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It seems the UMass administration has rightly concluded that non-P5 football is a pointless money pit and they’ll try to squeeze what they can out of it in the MAC, while investing heavily in the sport where they have a chance to compete on the highest stage.

As for Mason, the symbolic value of giving an extension to the face of the university goes well beyond simply adding a year to his contract. It says you’re our guy and we’re all-in behind you. Not to much to ask for one of our own.
I believe UMass’s decision to join the MAC was made with the exact opposite intentions. They joined a conference so they could try to elevate their football program. The massive investment in basketball after the decision to severely downgrade conferences is odd in my opinion, but that can be the end of the UMass talk in this thread.

Perhaps the key stakeholders within the athletics/university community have already made efforts to show Tony he’s our guy. One key difference this time around is that our HC actually has an AD he can talk to. Again, I’d be happy if an extension were announced tomorrow, but I can also see the criteria for an extension being greater than winning 20 games.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I believe UMass’s decision to join the MAC was made with the exact opposite intentions. They joined a conference so they could try to elevate their football program. The massive investment in basketball after the decision to severely downgrade conferences is odd in my opinion, but that can be the end of the UMass talk in this thread.

Perhaps the key stakeholders within the athletics/university community have already made efforts to show Tony he’s our guy. One key difference this time around is that our HC actually has an AD he can talk to. Again, I’d be happy if an extension were announced tomorrow, but I can also see the criteria for an extension being greater than winning 20 games.
I promise I’m going to drop this now, but not before gifting all of you with some prose courtesy of Jackie Chiles: Sometimes if you wait, it turns out you’re too late.

Let’s not be late on this one.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Congrats to Tony Skinn, one of our own on his contract extension

Well deserved and really happy that Mason did this to show commitment to both staffs.
No idea as to value of the transfer class ranking of #57 in evanmiya.com indicated in the gomason announcement, but the same website lists us at 4th in the A10:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
No idea as to value of the transfer class ranking of #57 in evanmiya.com indicated in the gomason announcement, but the same website lists us at 4th in the A10:
Great to see. Also great to see that Providence was 60th so we beat them on that.

What do you think of the job Tony Skinn has done so far? What do you think of his first season at George Mason and what he has done in his first off-season?

JC_FoodcourtBandit

Preferred Walk-On
What do you think of the job Tony Skinn has done so far? What do you think of his first season at George Mason and what he has done in his first off-season?

I would give him a 10/10 in his first season, especially with the roster that he was left with.

Up until about a week ago I would say his first offseason was a 9.9/10 with the only demerit being losing Okojie, but he seemingly got great replacements.

With the recent Bahama news, fair or unfair, he is the head coach so I would knock him back to a 7/10 this off season.

Upcoming season is going to mean a lot in the grading scale. As the first season can’t over-judge a coach unless they are extreme on either end of the spectrum (good or bad).

Overall I would grade him out as a 9.1/10 so far. Great success and more than I could have hoped for.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Achieving 20 wins in his first year in the competitive A-10 conference is a promising start.

Fair or not, the transfer portal is shortening the leash on coaches. It allows them to quickly fill gaps in their rosters, leaving no room for excuses. I expect at least an NCAA bubble team this season.

However, it’s difficult to fully assess the offseason until we see how the players perform. If the KD-PG experiment works, then this offseason will have been a huge success. But if Mason struggles without a solid point guard, it would be a disappointing offseason in my opinion.

Hopefully, they make the tournament, but if they don’t, year three will be crucial for Skinn.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Recruiting wise / roster building- he is as good or better than what we had with Kim. One could argue hes better because he targets more realistic players to fit at Mason. He also has fit very nicely for needs on the roster building depth as needed at each position. I can't think of an area that he didn't address (defense, scoring, point guard, big guys, wings). I also like that so far he has targeted guys who want to come home, and guys who have about 2 years of eligibility left when going after portal players (mostly)

Coaching - his coaching in year 1 was great. I really don't recall questioning his strategies or when we went to a certain lineup etc. I suspect he will only improve here. I credit a lot of his success in this area to having Steve Curran as his top deputy.

The Bahamas trip is a disaster, hopefully he pushes whoever dropped the ball to improve and makes sure that doesn't happen again under his leadership.

I completely agree that with the portal, roster turnover happens quick and rebuilds don't need to take more than like 3 years tops (and even then, 2 is plenty. Tony got his extra year which was well deserved but now the bar is raised and expectations are raised. We should absolutely be in NCAA conversation this year and anything less would be a massive disappointment.