Welcome Coach Tony Skinn!

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I tend to agree with this assessment. However, I believe that the top four teams in the A10 are comparable in quality to the middle to lower-tier teams in the SEC.

George Mason has consistently shown itself to be a middle-of-the-pack A10 team. They need additional support to rise above their current standing.
If the roster this coaching staff has currently constructed finishes middle of the pack, I might have to throw in the towel. This is our best opportunity in years to finally breakthrough.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GLOFI3mXgAA2l6m

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
The admins at Mason saw all of this unfold and somehow didn’t have a contract extension offer ready to go after season’s end, and even worse, months later and there’s still radio silence.

It’s frustrating that folks here have to tweet at them in reaction to Frank Martin’s extension news at UMass, with the hopes that they’ll wake up. Will this school ever learn? Unlikely.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The admins at Mason saw all of this unfold and somehow didn’t have a contract extension offer ready to go after season’s end, and even worse, months later and there’s still radio silence.

It’s frustrating that folks here have to tweet at them in reaction to Frank Martin’s extension news at UMass, with the hopes that they’ll wake up. Will this school ever learn? Unlikely.
Amen. We're already going down the same damn road. Mason where reaction instead of proaction is tradition. Maybe we'll wait until Tony is on a plane somewhere

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

It’s not just an extension, UMass is going to a demonstrably worse basketball league and they still upped Martin’s pay to $2M a season.

That is institutional commitment. Mason’s administration can’t even spell those words, much less live by them.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It’s not just an extension, UMass is going to a demonstrably worse basketball league and they still upped Martin’s pay to $2M a season.

That is institutional commitment. Mason’s administration can’t even spell those words, much less live by them.
100% agree. Now, I don't think you can compare the situations. Martin is an established coach for several years, Tony just did his first year as a head coach. So nobody is asking Mason to extend Tony for 6 years at 2m per. Not today at least.

But there isn't any reason why he shouldn't get a year or two as well as additional money for assistants and whatever else he needs. He makes 950k a year, give more like 1.1, up the assistants salary pool amongst other things and move on.

Its just crazy to me that they still can't be proactive. I want to think this is above athletics' head but I really have no idea.

Excuse me, I have a side door that all of you may enter through....
Side door and toys and games department

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I think Martin is a good coach, but I would rather have Tony.

Might be a good time to discuss A10 coaches and where they rank in terms of coaching and salary. I am too busy to do the research.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I think Martin is a good coach, but I would rather have Tony.

Might be a good time to discuss A10 coaches and where they rank in terms of coaching and salary. I am too busy to do the research.
Partial info here

more info here - but it is behind a paywall

I would email someone from Mason Athletics about it:

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Pretty sure Frank will make 1.4M more than any other basketball coach in the conference, and about a million more than the highest paid football coach.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Pretty sure Frank will make 1.4M more than any other basketball coach in the conference, and about a million more than the highest paid football coach.
And more than twice what our coach makes.

Mason needs to get its collective head out of its a** pronto. No joke, if Tony walks because the administration won’t stop with its typical foot-dragging bullshit, I’m done.