Game 15, AT vcu, Jan 9th, 7 PM, CBS Sports Network

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
That "David Coxxx" guy seems typical of their fans. Classy picture, loser.

MasonCrew

Starter
Since none of our players even care anymore at this point your post above will now be Shaka's bulletin board material for next week's game.

I bet my post loses us this game.

And agreed, Walter. However, vcu fans being typical vcu trash is not surprising.

I really would like nothing more than to beat them by 20. I work with a vcu grad (he got the job through an outreach program for the underprivileged) and he was literally screaming at me when I was jabbing at him for the UNI loss. They are like 4th grade children (as smart too according to acceptance standards).

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Lots of comments from the alternakids about how classier they are - leather bound books & mahogany I'm sure.

Rioting in the streets
View: http://vimeo.com/21868232

Screaming matches w/refs and fans coming onto the court to yell at the other players
http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/vcu-notes/article_bb69a103-dd57-50a8-af39-148e4b89bcb4.html

Push in the back while in the air
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUSWydD6Dsw

Hacks from front while in the air
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnY_sQIsoxA&feature=related

Shoves from the side into scoring tables
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ6ogsCGeoo&feature=related

Yup, classy.

Man, those clips reminded me (and probably everyone) of good times..I just wish our guys showed as much guts going after a rebound like that. Maybe Jalen Jenkins will push his way and make vcu hate him and be "unclassy".

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
No wonder vcu can fill the seats.

butt-2.jpg

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I like how they are obsessed with individual posters on this message board. Hilarious....Still a bunch of whiny little girls....It's also funny that most of them don't remember the comments they were making about Shaka after we blew them out on their home floor in the FF year. Now they say we have a lack of loyalty for questioning our coach. Rich stuff.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I like how they are obsessed with individual posters on this message board. Hilarious....Still a bunch of whiny little girls....It's also funny that most of them don't remember the comments they were making about Shaka after we blew them out on their home floor in the FF year. Now they say we have a lack of loyalty for questioning our coach. Rich stuff.

Funny thing is I use that as motivation to stick with the program. Like, "vcu wanted to fire Shaka really bad and they turned it around and went to the final four...maybe it'll happen to us..."

Then I remember I'm a Redskins/Wizards/Caps/Nats/Mason fan so I don't deserve good things in my life ever.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Funny thing is I use that as motivation to stick with the program. Like, "vcu wanted to fire Shaka really bad and they turned it around and went to the final four...maybe it'll happen to us..."

Then I remember I'm a Redskins/Wizards/Caps/Nats/Mason fan so I don't deserve good things in my life ever.
The difference was that was Shaka's first head job. He needed some time to figure things out. Not our circumstance....As for the fandom, I'm in the same boat so I'd offer encouragement, but I'd be lying.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Most of those vcu posters probably weren't even on the bandwagon yet in February 2011, so they don't remember the Fire Shaka campaign.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Most of those vcu posters probably weren't even on the bandwagon yet in February 2011, so they don't remember the Fire Shaka campaign.

Their bandwagon arrived in March of that year, so you're most likely correct.

Just remember, Mason made it to the Final Four as an 11 seed at-large from the CAA before it was cool #outhipstertherichmondkids

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It's only fair to state both sides of history. While at Ga Tech, Hewitt had some terribble losses as we all know. But every now and then, when his players self motivated themselves, a surprise win over top team in the conference would fall into his lap. This could be the case on thursday. Just pointing out that history note as to keep some from jumping off a cliff or running their car off FFX County Pkwy.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
It's only fair to state both sides of history. While at Ga Tech, Hewitt had some terribble losses as we all know. But every now and then, when his players self motivated themselves, a surprise win over top team in the conference would fall into his lap. This could be the case on thursday. Just pointing out that history note as to keep some from jumping off a cliff or running their car off FFX County Pkwy.

I'm treating this like the Iowa State game. I'd like the team to at least show up, give me something to watch, keep me entertained. Lose like a team that is outmatched rather than a team that can't walk without tripping over its own feet.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
But every now and then, when his players self motivated themselves, a surprise win over top team in the conference would fall into his lap.

Nothing like setting the stage for not giving the coach any credit if we do pull the upset Thursday. I agree a lot of the Hewitt bashing is justified, but it's a tad ridiculous when you are laying the groundwork for excuses just in case we win.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Tom, serisously and honestly...I wasn't laying any groundwork. I kinda felt bad for the guy after two days of bashing. I was simply pointing out some history facts from a Coach I talked to last night who currently coaches in the ACC and just beat a ranked conference foe.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm treating this like the Iowa State game. I'd like the team to at least show up, give me something to watch, keep me entertained. Lose like a team that is outmatched rather than a team that can't walk without tripping over its own feet.

Agreed. I was saying to a friend yesterday that if there were two games to get confidence (and to win) it would be at vcu and UMass at home. Although those are unlikely, it would be nice to see a nice effort and not get totally blown out of the water (like we are expecting. )

I think most of us would be ecstatic if the team somehow pulled off a W at vcu, and any other win this season would be gravy.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Tom, serisously and honestly...I wasn't laying any groundwork. I kinda felt bad for the guy after two days of bashing. I was simply pointing out some history facts from a Coach I talked to last night who currently coaches in the ACC and just beat a ranked conference foe.

Ok, my bad, GSII. You and I completely agree that everything starts and ends with the coach, regardless of the sport or the team. At some point, though, I do hope pride kicks in with our players.

Coaches are accountable for schemes and preparation, but sooner or later the players need to start executing simple things like boxing out, defending their man, making wide-open layups and not committing silly turnovers. I don't think any of us envisioned us winning at vcu even when our expectations were higher, but I will be watching closely Thursday to see who on this team really lays it on the line.

The only possible bright side to this game is that Hewitt and his staff have probably given it a little more attention/thought than most on the schedule. God help us to what that means.
I expect a 20 point loss but this game does have the potential to surprise. Are our players on friendly terms with them like MikeMo was? Sometimes familiarity alone can bring competitiveness, kind of like us playing Georgetown (scrimmages) and Maryland in the 90's and 2000's.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
BTW I would play Edwards 30 minutes and see if he can break the record for most turnovers committed in a single NCAA game. If he does break the record, I would want a banner raised in the Patriot Center celebrating the feat. Then I would want Edwards deadeded.

Part of me wants to believe that Corey has learned from past mistakes against vcu, but I don't think you can unlearn fear. It would be silly to think that Moore as a freshman will thrive in that environment, but he does seem to have a little more bravado.

The key Thursday will be how guys like Allen and Marko help our PGs break the press. Sherrod needs to handle the ball as little as possible in the open court.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Part of me wants to believe that Corey has learned from past mistakes against vcu, but I don't think you can unlearn fear. It would be silly to think that Moore as a freshman will thrive in that environment, but he does seem to have a little more bravado.

The key Thursday will be how guys like Allen and Marko help our PGs break the press.
And Jenkins. He will be key to breaking the press.