2021 Recruiting

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I blame COVID - or else his list would be Duke, Kansas, Kentucky... better sign him up quickly.
I mean I HOPE so but he went 5 months pre covid with 0 offers too.. just really weird... and if anything COVID has forced teams to reach more and be way more liberal with offering almost anything

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
What other forwards are we looking at besides Zaakir Williamson, Kordell Charles, Markus Ilver, Domonic Harvey ?

Who am I missing/forgetting?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
What other forwards are we looking at besides Zaakir Williamson, Kordell Charles, Markus Ilver, Domonic Harvey ?

Who am I missing/forgetting?
Domonic Harvey is not on VC so I only had the 3 previous you mentioned... plus the JUCO kid McFarlane

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Harvey was that JUCO kid that showed up on the screen when the coaches were doing that video - no idea how active we are with him, but he reminds me a lot of AJ coming out of HS. Superb dunker.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I haven't dug into it as much - saw he was getting some P5 interest... not the big bruiser that I'm hoping for, but he looked pretty skilled.

We have two Canadians on the coaching staff!

If AJ can beef up to almost 225, we can certainly get one of TJ Gadsden, Kordell Charles, or Markus Ilver into the 215-220 range at some point, can't we (I'm thinking LaDarian Griffin was 6'6 215 range)?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
6'7 175 is what he's listed as on the Colby CC website, so, yeah, he's thin right now (but it looks like he also grew 3 inches in a year -- looks like he was listed as 6'4/6'5 in a 247 Sports article).

https://247sports.com/college/maryl...-HS-is-best-dunker-more-in-the-DMV-127991617/

https://www.colbytrojans.com/sports/mbkb/2019-20/bios/harvey-domonic
6'7 175 is actually medically malnourished. There is no way that is up to date. To be that thin after a JUCO year, might be best if we stay away. By the time he puts on the necessary weight to hold his own as a big he won't have had any time to learn how to use it.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
6'7 175 is actually medically malnourished. There is no way that is up to date. To be that thin after a JUCO year, might be best if we stay away. By the time he puts on the necessary weight to hold his own as a big he won't have had any time to learn how to use it.

6'7 175 is a BMI of 19.7, according to NIH, which is in the low normal range (underweight is 18.5 or lower).

If I had to guess, those were probably his biometrics at the start of his freshman season (our weights haven't been updated over last year either). His stats tell me he can at least compete on the glass (6.8 rpg) and obviously finish with contact (98 FT attempts, 71% from the floor -- AJ Wilson had 131 FT attempts last year as a point of comparison) at the community college level. Don't know what that means moving up to the A-10, though.

McFarlane had very similar stats with very similar mpg on the same team (although his FG percentage is much, much lower at 50.9%). I have no idea what the competition level at Colby CC is.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yes. You are right. Being fouled doesn’t count as a shot attempt.

But I'm also assuming that a guy who shot almost 72% from the floor (on over 200 attempts, almost all of them from inside the arc -- he took 6 3-point attempts in 30 games) is probably finishing through contact.

Last edited:
Yes. You are right. Being fouled doesn’t count as a shot attempt.

But I'm also assuming that a guy who shot almost 72% from the floor (on over 200 attempts, almost all of them from inside the arc -- he took 6 3-point attempts in 30 games) is probably finishing through contact.

The only thing you should assume from 71% shooting is that he takes almost all his shots at or very near the rim.

That doesn't mean anything at all about the type of contact he's absorbing and his ability to finish through it. Could be mostly in transition with minimal contact. Could be against smaller scrub teams that just get out of his way. In fact, with a 27-5 team that averages 88 points a game, if anything I would assume that he is meeting minimal resistance at the rim against mostly exactly that.

And perhaps the reason he gets to the line a lot is because he's a 58% FT shooter and teams don't mind putting him on the line.

Or maybe you're right. But you assume too much.