2021 Recruiting

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
End of day I think Paulsen wasn't brought here to take us to the promise land. The program was in the gutters and he brought it back to an average level. The job wasn't a very desirable one so props to him for taking on the challenge. We'll see what the administration does after this step.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
End of day I think Paulsen wasn't brought here to take us to the promise land. The program was in the gutters and he brought it back to an average level. The job wasn't a very desirable one so props to him for taking on the challenge. We'll see what the administration does after this step.

I don’t disagree and have thought a lot of times that Dave was supposed to clean the program up and leave it in a good spot for someone else.

that said I think Brad is still fully behind him and those involved w the program think he’s recruiting well enough.

we’ll see.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
I don’t disagree and have thought a lot of times that Dave was supposed to clean the program up and leave it in a good spot for someone else.

that said I think Brad is still fully behind him and those involved w the program think he’s recruiting well enough.

we’ll see.

They were extending his contact a year at a time so he'd continue to be on for 4 years but that has stopped. No extensions with 2 years left shows me that he isn't producing for them.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Agreed. I liked the Dave hire and appreciate his time here, but he is essentially running a 2-star restaurant. He has done an admirable job of bussing a dirty table and setting it, but he has really struggled when it comes to taking orders and cooking the food. If he doesn't perform with this roster this year, it might be time for him to pack his knives and leave.
Disclaimer: Apologies for the restaurant analogy, but my wife used to make me watch Top Chef with her.

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
They were extending his contact a year at a time so he'd continue to be on for 4 years but that has stopped. No extensions with 2 years left shows me that he isn't producing for them.

I don’t disagree but the vibe everyone gets externally is they support his recruiting and running the program so I have no idea.

Agreed. I liked the Dave hire and appreciate his time here, but he is essentially running a 2-star restaurant. He has done an admirable job of bussing a dirty table and setting it, but he has really struggled when it comes to taking orders and cooking the food. If he doesn't perform with this roster this year, it might be time for him to pack his knives and leave.
Disclaimer: Apologies for the restaurant analogy, but my wife used to make me watch Top Chef with her.

you love any analogy lol. Better than the car one! Haha

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
NCAA men’s basketball oversight committee will meet Monday and discuss whether winter sports athletes should be given an additional year of eligibility, under the reasoning that this season almost certainly will be effed with at some point by COVID.

Jeff Goodman tweeted that it has created uncertainty for coaches who may need to hold scholarships open in case their best seniors want to come back for one more year.

I’d be curious to know if the staff has had any communication with AJ about whether he’d come back if he got another year, and whether that is being factored into recruiting for the 2021 class. Getting him back as a sixth-year grad student would be like adding a 4 or 5-star freshman for Mason.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
NCAA men’s basketball oversight committee will meet Monday and discuss whether winter sports athletes should be given an additional year of eligibility, under the reasoning that this season almost certainly will be effed with at some point by COVID.

Jeff Goodman tweeted that it has created uncertainty for coaches who may need to hold scholarships open in case their best seniors want to come back for one more year.

I’d be curious to know if the staff has had any communication with AJ about whether he’d come back if he got another year, and whether that is being factored into recruiting for the 2021 class. Getting him back as a sixth-year grad student would be like adding a 4 or 5-star freshman for Mason.

So what you're saying is, is that the 2021 class only needs to be 2 guys in the event that Javon/Greg/AJ want to come back for one more year.

Now we know why Dave always held a scholarship, he had to be prepared for a scenario like this to come true!

:ducks bullets:

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Are they going to vote on the same for fall and spring sports?
Fall seasons have been impacted to some degree, why aren't we giving them an extra year?
and what is their definition of "a season"?
(these are questions for the NCAA, not gmujim)

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Personally, I have 0 faith that the NCAA is going to approve this. They did for the spring sports, because let's be honest, the spring sports don't matter. Their combined revenue is lower than a single month of MBB revenue. If they do grant an extra year of eligibility, look for the NCAA to do something f**ky like not lift the cap on scholarships just so they can make the schools be the bad guy in this scenario.

Agree though that getting another year of AJ at 24-25 years old would be the equivalent of signing a 4 star PF. I just don't see it happening.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Are they going to vote on the same for fall and spring sports?
Fall seasons have been impacted to some degree, why aren't we giving them an extra year?
and what is their definition of "a season"?
(these are questions for the NCAA, not gmujim)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...must be met for eligibility in future terms.":

"The NCAA Board of Governors took a landmark step on Friday by approving a measure that will grant an extra year of eligibility to all fall sports athletes. Even athletes who compete this fall will be eligible for an extra year under the rule, which was recommended earlier this week by the Division I Council. The extension of eligibility for fall athletes follows a similar measure approved by the NCAA earlier this year with spring athletes who had most of their 2020 seasons erased by the COVID-19 pandemic."

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Kordell Charles had a really good weekend. How do we feel about him? Does our Canadian staff give us any edge with him? Hmmm.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Kordell Charles had a really good weekend. How do we feel about him? Does our Canadian staff give us any edge with him? Hmmm.
think we are probably in drivers seat with him after doing a ton of digging. He hasn't had any offers since 9/17/2019.... absolutely no clue why but we are the only offer in over a year. Would think his other 5 offers either don't exist anymore or have gone ice cold in recruitment... just a feeling.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
think we are probably in drivers seat with him after doing a ton of digging. He hasn't had any offers since 9/17/2019.... absolutely no clue why but we are the only offer in over a year. Would think his other 5 offers either don't exist anymore or have gone ice cold in recruitment... just a feeling.

I haven't dug into it as much - saw he was getting some P5 interest... not the big bruiser that I'm hoping for, but he looked pretty skilled.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I haven't dug into it as much - saw he was getting some P5 interest... not the big bruiser that I'm hoping for, but he looked pretty skilled.
I was really high on him before I did more digging so maybe its best you don't lol. gotta be some reason that a kid getting offered from Bona, Tulsa and USC has not received another offer in over a full calendar year... to me that is super weird...

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I was really high on him before I did more digging so maybe its best you don't lol. gotta be some reason that a kid getting offered from Bona, Tulsa and USC has not received another offer in over a full calendar year... to me that is super weird...

I blame COVID - or else his list would be Duke, Kansas, Kentucky... better sign him up quickly.