What I Like About Jalen Jenkins

smccart5

Starter
He's a great player and have loved watching him this season.

One complaint is that I think he picks up his dribble too much, particularly when he gets the ball at the top of the key. He'll take one useless dribble...stop...and then it messes up the offense because people now need to scramble and break pattern to get open

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

One complaint is that I think he picks up his dribble too much, particularly when he gets the ball at the top of the key. He'll take one useless dribble...stop...and then it messes up the offense because people now need to scramble and break pattern to get open

This time next season, he's gonna be getting the ball at the top of the key and driving to the rim for easy buckets.

He's a classic mismatch. Too strong for 3s and too quick for most 4s. Confidence from a full summer of ballhandling drills will make JJ quite dangerous.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023

It'd probably make more sense for him to not be handling the ball at the top of the key. But, such is Hewitt's offense.

Unless he improves his handle like Jim mentioned, which is entirely possible with Jalen's work ethic.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
He learned that from Corey Edwards.

All he needs to do is perfect his "confused face" when he does that.

I totally agree that Jenkins needs to improve his handle and dribble pickup,but I do think thats something that will come with time,experience and is very correctable (much like MMs shooting). In that high post play they run where he dumps it off to Copes, hes shown to be a pretty good passer, even if Copes can't catch half the time.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
It'd probably make more sense for him to not be handling the ball at the top of the key. But, such is Hewitt's offense.

Seems to me, his height gives him good vision in looking underneath and he is a very good passer for a big guy. Also as mentioned by others, once he gets his footwork down, he is capable of taking it to the rim from there.

Bottom line: I think having with the ball at the top of the key gives us options and is frequently effective. Even makes the offense look organized!

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Jalen's current rankings for Mason's active roster:

Minutes per game - 3rd (23.2)
FG% - 2nd (51.1%)
FT% - Tied for 6th with Patrick Holloway (67.7%)
Rebounds per game: 1st (6.3)
Assists - 3rd (31)
Blocked shots - 1st (28)
Steals - 3rd (19)
Points per game: 4th (7.4)

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Seems to me, his height gives him good vision in looking underneath and he is a very good passer for a big guy. Also as mentioned by others, once he gets his footwork down, he is capable of taking it to the rim from there.

Bottom line: I think having with the ball at the top of the key gives us options and is frequently effective. Even makes the offense look organized!

Yea, I don't doubt you and I agree. I think once he improves his handle it'll make him even more effective than he already is. Jalen has quite the work ethic, as we've seen, that should excite all of us. Kid is pretty determined.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
With 201 points so far this season, 3-time A10 ROW Jalen Jenkins has already scored more points in his freshman season at Mason than any other player on this team (Marquise Moore is already tied for the 6th most):

Jenkins - 201 pts. (27 games)
Holloway - 200 (38)
Gujanicic - 197 (37)
Wright - 170 (31)
Gray - 109 (32)
Moore - 89 (23)
Copes - 89 (27)
Williams - 79 (30)
Edwards - 79 (31)
Allen - 37 (27)
Rudy - 3 (2)

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It has been an honor to watch Jalen play and develop over the last 4 years, even on crappy and poorly coached teams. It will be sad to see him go.

Reactions: AHM