The #1 Pep Band in College Basketball

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
The Green Machine played an unbelievable version of Stairway to Heaven at the 50th Anniversary last night. MUST add it to the play list at games in some capacity. The Green Machine just keeps getting better and it's hard to improve on perfection!

patriotchild

Starter
I'm trying to stay positive for Jim today, but this has to be one of the most undervalued components to our program due to the hole we are still trying to climb out of.

Our band is always one of the best parts of coming to Mason games. But, as a program we haven't taken advantage of it and they really haven't been able to fully flex its muscles because of the play on the court. Heck, I know people who've gone just to listen to the band.

I'm convinced if we can win more consistently which leads to a few more butts in seats with the band rocking we'd complain a lot less about our game day experience. Our program would/will really be in the dumps if we lost the band.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
What would be a good uniform for the band?

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
As much air time and news coverage as our band gets, it's a major mistake on Adidas part not to outfit them in Adidas gear.

I'm not a huge fan of the stripe rugbys that a lot of bands wear, but a long sleeve t, a 1/4 zip, or even a basketball jersey that wasn't a yellow dazzle cloth circa 1998 would be an upgrade.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Now lets get them some quality uniforms to match the quality music/entertainment they provide.
years ago, back when TOC was still AD, I had offered to donate enough money to buy the band new uniforms. I was given some BS along the lines that I could donate what I like but I couldn’t decide where the money was spent. A little bit similar to Gunnie’s experience with iPads.

I have always believed if you give people something concrete to give to, they are more likely to give and to give more. Mason seems to miss on this with their “if we ask them to give to X that might pull money from our priority Y” approach to fundraising.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
years ago, back when TOC was still AD, I had offered to donate enough money to buy the band new uniforms. I was given some BS along the lines that I could donate what I like but I couldn’t decide where the money was spent. A little bit similar to Gunnie’s experience with iPads.

I have always believed if you give people something concrete to give to, they are more likely to give and to give more. Mason seems to miss on this with their “if we ask them to give to X that might pull money from our priority Y” approach to fundraising.
Pathetic administration.....

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

That's a slippery slope, my friend. Where does such a policy of accepting conditional donations lead? It leads to donors giving money on the condition that it is used to hire a particular coach; or it leads to NCAA fan collusion violations; or it leads to assistant coaches hiring hookers for the players. If you're going to donate then just donate—no conditions.

Last edited:

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
That's a slippery slope, my friend. Where does such a policy of acceptiong conditional donations lead? It leads to donors giving money on the condition that it is used to hire a particular coach; or it leads to NCAA fan collusion violations; or it leads to assistant coaches hiring hookers for the players. If you're going to donate then just donate—no conditions.
My main point being, that if they established funds for specific projects (locker room upgrade, new hardwood, etc.) people would feel more connected and I think would be more likely to contribute rather than the current give to our club that employs fundraising people with salaries that total more than total contributions to our club, but trust us that we will spend it wisely.

To your point, of course, Mason can choose what strings they accept. But, they don't have to accept all strings because they accepted one. Just because they accepted my money for band uniforms doesn't mean they they have to accept someone else's money for a new coach. I don't see a slippery slope.

I saw what I thought was a need (new uniforms for our green machine that wears gold for some odd reason). I was willing to donate upwards of 10K to buy new outfits (I figured less than 100 members at roughly 100 bucks a head). They were not interested in committing to buying new outfits with that money. Why should I feel obligated to donate $10k for them to use somewhere else that I don't agree with or trust them to spend wisely. I wanted to see new uniforms, not something else. Guess what, as far as I can tell, we still have the same lame looking gold jerseys from about 10 years ago when this went down. How is that working out?

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Does Doc Nix have a contract? I know we don't take the band for granted, but aren't other schools looking at what we have and saying, "what if we double his salary???"

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Does Doc Nix have a contract? I know we don't take the band for granted, but aren't other schools looking at what we have and saying, "what if we double his salary???"
He's a professor and probably wants to stay at Mason to get tenure (if he doesn't have it already). And tenure is the golden ticket, holy grail for professors. You're pretty much untoucahble when you get tenure. Kind of like a "made man" in the mafia.