OT: Conference Realignment

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Nevarez, who began her tenure as the second commissioner in the MW's history in January, is in charge of guiding her conference through this turbulent time. Thus far, the MW has been untouched with its 11 full-time members plus Hawaii in football staying in place. It could be in prime position to add Washington State and Oregon State from the Pac-12 ranks and potentially even Stanford and Cal's non-football sports. Nevarez is happy about the MW's dedication to one another so far."

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

"Nevarez, who began her tenure as the second commissioner in the MW's history in January, is in charge of guiding her conference through this turbulent time. Thus far, the MW has been untouched with its 11 full-time members plus Hawaii in football staying in place. It could be in prime position to add Washington State and Oregon State from the Pac-12 ranks and potentially even Stanford and Cal's non-football sports. Nevarez is happy about the MW's dedication to one another so far."
I doubt if Stanford joins for $6M /year - but the other 3 may have no other choice.

Last edited:

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Found this on another site. CAA has hurt its MBB and football standings with its latest additions. And the AAC got destroyed with their latest additions and subtractions. A10 now ahead of AAC in MBB.

Last edited:

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
2FBF3A79-1DB3-4E8D-AAB7-6405E061C0D5.png

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Back when the Big Ten was actually 10 teams, the 627 miles between Columbus, Ohio, and Minneapolis, Minnesota, was the longest trip a student athlete might travel in conference. In 2024, the longest in-conference trip grows to 2,463 miles from Eugene, Oregon, to New Brunswick, New Jersey."

From 1980 to 2024:
21540781_1691868565631.png

21540781_1691868565621.png

Last edited:
OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Jason Scheer
@jasonscheer

Sounds like we’re likely going to get an ACC answer on Cal and Stanford in the next 24 hours. Also, there have been major discussions on leadership is those two aren’t accepted into the ACC. It would be a surprise if George Kliavkoff is part of the next step.

2:47 PM · Aug 17, 2023

"A report from Ralph Russo at the Associated Press, Stanford is trying hard to receive an invite from the ACC and might be willing to do so at a reduced revenue-sharing cost"

phoenix-arizona

All-American
It's a shame football can't be done at the independent status more effectively. I could see them and Cal being independent and finding a more local western conference (WCC or something) for everything else.

Last edited:
Move to A10 sealed our fate on that. It's a shame since ODU and JMU have really grown their programs (and excitement about both schools). I remember always being told (whenever I asked former presidents and AD's) that with the exception of the big conferences, a football program "always loses money". Guess ODU and JMU must be getting lots of alumni donations to offset all the money they are losing.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Move to A10 sealed our fate on that. It's a shame since ODU and JMU have really grown their programs (and excitement about both schools). I remember always being told (whenever I asked former presidents and AD's) that with the exception of the big conferences, a football program "always loses money". Guess ODU and JMU must be getting lots of alumni donations to offset all the money they are losing.

It's the off-season, so why not? Just look at ODU's endowment before and after football. It's like night and day.

I understand football can be a headache for administrators, but it's beneficial for the school.

As a new father, I feel like football is similar to having kids. The idea of having kids or a football program sounds daunting and troublesome. And then you realize, that's true. But once have a kid/team you realize its worth the headache.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It's the off-season, so why not? Just look at ODU's endowment before and after football. It's like night and day.

I understand football can be a headache for administrators, but it's beneficial for the school.

As a new father, I feel like football is similar to having kids. The idea of having kids or a football program sounds daunting and troublesome. And then you realize, that's true. But once have a kid/team you realize its worth the headache.

Our endowment has doubled in size since 2018 without football. ODU’s endowment was 3 times ours in 2018 and now it is less than twice in size. We seem to be doing just fine with donations.

vcu’s endowment is over 2 billion (due to their med school).

As for subsidizing their football team? 31 million of their 52 million budget comes from student fees, while 2.5 million comes from ticket sales, so I’m going to guess their football team doesn’t turn a profit.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Yeah I get this point of view. Its something to rally around and everyone stops giving a shit about the positives/negatives when you actually have a team. You stop worrying about the idea of having kids and just figure it out. I know that is what worked for me.

That said, considering how Mason athletics has lacked investment into their existing sports for years in ways that we have beaten the drum for years on here, this is something that will never happen unfortunately. As I told a fellow alum a few weeks ago, we don't even have proper hospitality space for basketball games amongst so many other things, football is a pipe dream.

For what its worth, lets just hope Marvin can get basketball everything it needs to go from that "middle of the pack" basketball program in the A10 to that top 5. Facilities, investments, nutrition etc etc yadda yadda yadda.

Last edited:

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
>>> BREAKING NEWS <<<

The NFL's Detroit Lions stated in a press release today that they are leaving the NFC North Division to join the Big 10 beginning in 2025. According to sources, GM Brad Holmes says, "At least now we'll have a decent shot to play in a Bowl game."

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Our endowment has doubled in size since 2018 without football. ODU’s endowment was 3 times ours in 2018 and now it is less than twice in size. We seem to be doing just fine with donations.

vcu’s endowment is over 2 billion (due to their med school).

As for subsidizing their football team? 31 million of their 52 million budget comes from student fees, while 2.5 million comes from ticket sales, so I’m going to guess their football team doesn’t turn a profit.
Dr. Washington has certainly done a good job of increasing the endowment. While I'm glad we are catching up to ODU in terms of donations, it's should be expected. Mason's student population is 33% larger. In addition, the median income is about 60% greater in Fairfax than in Norfolk.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer