NIL Thread

JimP

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
For the record, I still stand by that statement. I haven't expected Hall to come back to Mason next year for quite sometime. I still don't expect him to appear in a game the rest of this season.
It's reasonable to assume he'd explore his options for next season. In regards to this season, (and next) either his ankle is pretty bad or it's some BS related to the NIL /players get to transfer 15 times garbage.

I'll give you one last chance, maybe two. WHAT do you know?

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
No thank you, I don't want to hear about some player sitting out after Feb 25th because he's about to lose his immediate transfer eligibility if he keeps playing.
Lastly coaches should have the right to pull scholarships for moves like that

It's reasonable to assume he'd explore his options for next season. In regards to this season, (and next) either his ankle is pretty bad or it's some BS related to the NIL /players get to transfer 15 times garbage.

Damn Jim P just gave Brian one last chance to tell us what he knows or else Goodfellas/Scarface/Untouchables

Firm but fair

JimP

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
These two posts, if you don't realize it, contradict each other. There is a key limiting factor on how much this benefits the top tier basketball teams. That limit is the number of roster players. For every guy they poach from another team, that is one less 5 star freshman they can't bring in or a previous 5 star guy that didn't pan out or isn't getting the minutes he desires. While it changes things (more movement), there is an argument to be made that it benefits us being where we are positioned. We get the guys transferring down from the top tier and we will also get freshman, both at levels we would have never sniffed before. On the flip side, we many only get them for a couple years, instead of a lesser player for four years.

Until they allow an unlimited number of scholarships and/or roster positions, it is, effectively, a zero sum game, so let's not act like it is the end of the world.

First off, no, it really didn't. See above. Second, there is a lot of speculation in the threads the last couple days that has been assumed to be true that there is no evidence for. But, for the sake of argument, let's say some guy got a bag of money handed to him, to go to a new school next year, so he decided to sit out the rest of this season. Can you say for certain that someone hasn't done something similar in the past, sat out the end of a season and ended up transferring the following season. It would be an interesting research project. How do you know there aren't already guys sitting out on our team that don't have a bag of money waiting for them?

I think there is a lot of overreacting to things that aren't even established fact or have been misinterpreted and then everyone is trying to blame something (NIL) that isn't to blame or is only partially to blame because they already dislike it.
I have always had a wait and see attitude toward the NIL. I can see both sides.

I haven't really been concerned about it until learning GMU's best player may be out the rest of the year under murky circumstances.

Now I'm like 2 transfers w/o sitting? WTF?

JimP

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Damn Jim P just gave Brian one last chance to tell us what he knows or else Goodfellas/Scarface/Untouchables

Firm but
Yes, I've had little interest in the popcorn report until now. I know some popcorn people and won't hestiate to have it pulled from the arenas and small Caribbean gymnasiums on Mason's schedule next year. Forget about EBA - it's off the menu until the next NCAA tourney appearance.

GMU79

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Firm but fair, Just like God (GMU79) intended.

Us millennials have been stirring up trouble ever since we all decided to be homeless and shit in public parks during occupy Wall Street.

For the record I do still think NIL is a good thing, and really wouldn’t care as much if the rumor wasn’t he was quitting during the season.
No, but you're in my prayers.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Yes, I've had little interest in the popcorn report until now. I know some popcorn people and won't hestiate to have it pulled from the arenas and small Caribbean gymnasiums on Mason's schedule next year. Forget about EBA - it's off the menu until the next NCAA tourney appearance.
I don't usually respond to threats, but, when it comes to my popcorn I guess I better comply...

What do I know? KH reported that his ankle was injured and couldn't play anymore this year. What have I observed: He has been limping most of the second half of the year (based on my memory) so there is something there. That addresses part one of my earlier statement that I don't expect him to play anymore this year. On the flip side, at the Duquesne game, I also observed that he seemed to, at times, "forget" his limp when he was walking around. I hear he showed up for practice today, as well. Maybe Jollay's theory of him realizing how bad this will make him look is coming true...

On part two of my earlier statement, I have observed in games and I am sure many of you have seen much of this, but I don't know how much gets caught on the cameras. Yelling at coaches-more so as we have gotten towards the end of the season. Yelling at other players regularly after he screwed up a defensive assignment. Making a huge mistake at UMass as if he wasn't just in the huddle with the team and somehow wasn't aware of the score and then you see him pointing at other players like he is trying to blame them. Just based on things anyone can observe it is clear to me that he hasn't been playing as part of a team. Then there was the behavior of his family at the Toledo game: booing Ronnie, yelling at the coaches and cheering for the opponents because they were not happy with KH not getting playing time or not getting the ball every possession. I believe @Old Man witnessed much of this as well. Why does that matter, it is obvious what kind of input he is getting from very close. Add that all up combined with the current transfer environment and his apparent value to a coach/team in need...

GMU79

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't usually respond to threats, but, when it comes to my popcorn I guess I better comply...

What do I know? KH reported that his ankle was injured and couldn't play anymore this year. What have I observed: He has been limping most of the second half of the year (based on my memory) so there is something there. That addresses part one of my earlier statement that I don't expect him to play anymore this year. On the flip side, at the Duquesne game, I also observed that he seemed to, at times, "forget" his limp when he was walking around. I hear he showed up for practice today, as well. Maybe Jollay's theory of him realizing how bad this will make him look is coming true...

On part two of my earlier statement, I have observed in games and I am sure many of you have seen much of this, but I don't know how much gets caught on the cameras. Yelling at coaches-more so as we have gotten towards the end of the season. Yelling at other players regularly after he screwed up a defensive assignment. Making a huge mistake at UMass as if he wasn't just in the huddle with the team and somehow wasn't aware of the score and then you see him pointing at other players like he is trying to blame them. Just based on things anyone can observe it is clear to me that he hasn't been playing as part of a team. Then there was the behavior of his family at the Toledo game: booing Ronnie, yelling at the coaches and cheering for the opponents because they were not happy with KH not getting playing time or not getting the ball every possession. I believe @Old Man witnessed much of this as well. Why does that matter, it is obvious what kind of input he is getting from very close. Add that all up combined with the current transfer environment and his apparent value to a coach/team in need...
Yelling at coaches. I sorta get that. I've gotten into it with coaches myself when I thought my daughter (varsity HS softball) was being mistreated. But I always waited till after the game.
But booing Ronnie and cheering for the other team is absolutely inexcusable. They should have been banned from EBA immediately. And, if that is the example that KE is learning from; well,.....

JimP

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Thank you Brian - that is indeed stuff not observed when watching at home, though I have seen some of the lousy body language.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
But booing Ronnie and cheering for the other team is absolutely inexcusable. They should have been banned from EBA immediately. And, if that is the example that KE is learning from; well,.....
This occurred at Toledo. And as far as I can tell, I haven't seen KH's family at the PatDome.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Ronald Polite is one of us. He understands loyalty. KH just got here and is already gone. Booing one of ours? What a low class family. Good riddance!

Ronald Polite is one of us. He understands loyalty. KH just got here and is already gone. Booing one of ours? What a low class family. Good riddance!

Of course. You see this kind of behavior more and more at the HS level too.

You even see parents disrupt their kids NBA careers now. Anybody know the famous recent local example I'm referring to?

Coaches just don't want to deal with this garbage anymore and it factors big time into recruiting when they can identify lunatic parents early.

Easy to ID usually in a HS/AAU gym. Will affect Key's career eventually if it hasn't already previously.

He's got time to rehab his ankle and his image this season, if he chooses to. I would, there are certain lunatics in our fan base base for years that will not let things go.

And then he'll end up a sad old man coaching a team tied for 13th place in the ACC.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The easy transfer rules and NIL will allow the P5s to keep poaching good players from lower conferences and have the ability to send their "recruiting misses" out on an annual basis.

Just like football--TV deals, NCAA tournament takeover, etc---as long as you are in the select club, it still pays more to be the #15 school in a P5 than it does to be #1 in mid major or lower.
Points taken (mostly), but I do wonder what the coming level of inconsistency will do to fan engagement/interest and whether that will leave said bottom P5 teams better or worse off. Sure, a Georgia Tech can now bring in a "proven" player for his sophomore year after a good freshman season at a mid-major, but will UNC/Duke being able to now each be three 5-star players deep at every position widen the gap to the point where these other fanbases totally check out and it starts to affect revenue? Those teams might have flash in the pan seasons where they make the tourney, but as we've seen at Mason it takes one or two bad years to tank your fan base, and a hell of a lot more to get them back.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
can we see it?

jerseys.png