NIL Thread

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
The reality is the reason big-time college football and basketball exist is because of fans who are passionate enough about their team — either as an alumnus or not — to support it with their money.

My NFL team can do things 24/7/365 to alienate me without giving it a second thought because they know I’m obsessed with the product and couldn’t imagine not watching pro football anymore.

A select number of college programs have the luxury of operating in the same way, knowing their fan bases will never abandon them. For the vast majority, however, simply shrugging and saying, “Sucks for the fans but oh well,” is not going to be a recipe for success.

Ironically, if enough of us throw up our hands and walk away, and there’s no more reason for Mason to spend what it does sponsoring Division I men’s basketball, know who gets hurt: the athletes for whom a free education could be a pathway to changing their life (and that of their family) for the better.

Beware killing the golden goose, I guess is what I’m saying.
I agree with you, it’s becoming increasingly harder to be a fan of college sports.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I believe it was one of the Arizona universities coach who said that he was going to stop recruiting high schools kids. He would be recruiting from the mid-majors where he knows the kids can play D1 ball.

We are there now. Better to buy a proven commodity than to take a chance on an 18 year old kid.

Last edited:

Junkees9

Sixth Man
If this stuff about Hall turns out to be true, and it is tied to money, that will probably put me over the edge as far as a season ticket holder goes. Money will eventually corrupt the game, if it hasn't already. I've been going to Mason games for over 35 years. The uneven playing field for schools like Mason just got incredibly more uneven. Terribly unfortunate.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
What seems likely, looking at the NIL’s unintended consequences, is a scenario where the Duke’s, Kentucky’s, UNC’s, etc. poach talent more aggressively and become even more difficult to topple. Will mid-majors simply switch their focus to become cricket-playing power houses in a bid to dominate elsewhere? Not too difficult to imagine such a scenario. I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.

I believe it was one of the Arizona universities coach who said that he was going to stop recruiting high schools kids. He would be recruiting from the mid-majors where he knows the kids can plan D1 ball.

We are there now. Better to buy a proven commodity than to take a chance on an 18 year old kid.

These two posts, if you don't realize it, contradict each other. There is a key limiting factor on how much this benefits the top tier basketball teams. That limit is the number of roster players. For every guy they poach from another team, that is one less 5 star freshman they can't bring in or a previous 5 star guy that didn't pan out or isn't getting the minutes he desires. While it changes things (more movement), there is an argument to be made that it benefits us being where we are positioned. We get the guys transferring down from the top tier and we will also get freshman, both at levels we would have never sniffed before. On the flip side, we many only get them for a couple years, instead of a lesser player for four years.

Until they allow an unlimited number of scholarships and/or roster positions, it is, effectively, a zero sum game, so let's not act like it is the end of the world.
The uneven playing field for schools like Mason just got incredibly more uneven.
First off, no, it really didn't. See above. Second, there is a lot of speculation in the threads the last couple days that has been assumed to be true that there is no evidence for. But, for the sake of argument, let's say some guy got a bag of money handed to him, to go to a new school next year, so he decided to sit out the rest of this season. Can you say for certain that someone hasn't done something similar in the past, sat out the end of a season and ended up transferring the following season. It would be an interesting research project. How do you know there aren't already guys sitting out on our team that don't have a bag of money waiting for them?

I think there is a lot of overreacting to things that aren't even established fact or have been misinterpreted and then everyone is trying to blame something (NIL) that isn't to blame or is only partially to blame because they already dislike it.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
These two posts, if you don't realize it, contradict each other. There is a key limiting factor on how much this benefits the top tier basketball teams. That limit is the number of roster players. For every guy they poach from another team, that is one less 5 star freshman they can't bring in or a previous 5 star guy that didn't pan out or isn't getting the minutes he desires. While it changes things (more movement), there is an argument to be made that it benefits us being where we are positioned. We get the guys transferring down from the top tier and we will also get freshman, both at levels we would have never sniffed before. On the flip side, we many only get them for a couple years, instead of a lesser player for four years.

Until they allow an unlimited number of scholarships and/or roster positions, it is, effectively, a zero sum game, so let's not act like it is the end of the world.

First off, no, it really didn't. See above. Second, there is a lot of speculation in the threads the last couple days that has been assumed to be true that there is no evidence for. But, for the sake of argument, let's say some guy got a bag of money handed to him, to go to a new school next year, so he decided to sit out the rest of this season. Can you say for certain that someone hasn't done something similar in the past, sat out the end of a season and ended up transferring the following season. It would be an interesting research project. How do you know there aren't already guys sitting out on our team that don't have a bag of money waiting for them?

I think there is a lot of overreacting to things that aren't even established fact or have been misinterpreted and then everyone is trying to blame something (NIL) that isn't to blame or is only partially to blame because they already dislike it.
Very clear-headed explanation of zero-sum aspect of the limitations on P5 in some regards (Roster size but not size of NIL "bag") giving mid-majors access to some players that previously wouldn't consider playing at that level. Provides some badly-needed perspective.

That said, when I read "You will not see Hall wearing a Mason jersey ever again. Take it to the bank." from someone I consider more 'in the know' than many of the rest of us, it's hard not to jump to conclusions.

That said, when I read "You will not see Hall wearing a Mason jersey ever again. Take it to the bank." from someone I consider more 'in the know' than many of the rest of us, it's hard not to jump to conclusions.

I mean, right?

Can't put that genie back in the bottle.

If he's back it will be because of how bad this will make him look and he slowly realizes it.

By the way, when I heard how we "recruited" Hall in the first place over vcu and others, I started laughing. This shit was/is inevitable.

Look at Howard's team from this to last year. And now the guys that left there are nothing but jealous of the silly nilly. Can't work.

So, the comparisons to the old days where this was under the table is absurd. Yeah, people break rules, and the rules were imperfect, but I must have missed when we had to pay George Evans 100k or whatever for nine months and then had to double it (or whatever) to retain him.

All to finish mid-pack in our league, lol.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Very clear-headed explanation of zero-sum aspect of the limitations on P5 in some regards (Roster size but not size of NIL "bag") giving mid-majors access to some players that previously wouldn't consider playing at that level. Provides some badly-needed perspective.

For the record, I still stand by that statement. I haven't expected Hall to come back to Mason next year for quite sometime. I still don't expect him to appear in a game the rest of this season.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I wouldn't be surprised if GW's implosion wasn't related to someone gettting a bag. It will be interesting if Buchanon returns. He and Hall are next highest scorers in league games after Holmes and King.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
For the record, I still stand by that statement. I haven't expected Hall to come back to Mason next year for quite sometime. I still don't expect him to appear in a game the rest of this season.

Basically he is hurt and doesn't want or can't play, is my take. However, there should of been a release by the school similar to what Marquette released about Kolek this afternoon.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
For the record, I still stand by that statement. I haven't expected Hall to come back to Mason next year for quiteB sometime. I still don't expect him to appear in a game the rest of this season.

I wouldn't be surprised if GW's implosion wasn't related to someone gettting a bag. It will be interesting if Buchanon returns. He and Hall are next highest scorers in league games after Holmes and King.
Buchanan has scored 21 pts in each of GW's last 2 games and was Kenpom MVP in one of them. Certainly doesn't appear that he's quit on this season. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see him transfer to a P5

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

The issue for schools on our level isn’t inability to get talent — it’s that we are now not only a stepping stone for coaches, but for players.

Go to a mid-major for a year, maybe two, make a big splash and then somebody will throw a bag at you.

In a team sport, building cohesion and chemistry is basically impossible when you turn over the core of your roster almost every year. Even Calipari has struggled with that and he’s been recruiting the cream of the crop to Kentucky.

If they can’t make it work with their resources, I hold out very little hope it will be a sustainable path to success for George Mason.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Missing component of G-League and Europe. Right now it is a trivial number of players skipping college altogether, but that may not be the case if P5 teams refuse to recruit all but the top 30-40 players coming out of high school. Even then I remember seeing a top 50 prospect go straight to the G-League after high school recently.

The biggest thing college has going for it is coaching, but if guys like Skinn don’t see a path in the future you might see more of them take jobs in Europe or Asia or Australia and that will entice more players to go over there instead of stay home.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Missing component of G-League and Europe. Right now it is a trivial number of players skipping college altogether, but that may not be the case if P5 teams refuse to recruit all but the top 30-40 players coming out of high school. Even then I remember seeing a top 50 prospect go straight to the G-League after high school recently.

The biggest thing college has going for it is coaching, but if guys like Skinn don’t see a path in the future you might see more of them take jobs in Europe or Asia or Australia and that will entice more players to go over there instead of stay home.
Or, more foreign players will get
recruited since they arent able to get NIL and will be less of a headache. Also, they have good IQ, know the time and score of end game situations, wont get pick pocketted bringing ball up, wont do silly spin moves etc. Less likely to quit on the team in season.

Or, more foreign players will get
recruited since they arent able to get NIL and will be less of a headache. Also, they have good IQ, know the time and score of end game situations, wont get pick pocketted bringing ball up, wont do silly spin moves etc. Less likely to quit on the team in season.

But also then we have to send Tony to Dubai and shit more which costs me THE TAXPAYER

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
The NCAA should reconsider the one-year sit-out rule for transfers in this NIL era. I support allowing players with limited minutes to transfer and play immediately—maybe implement a minute cap? Additionally, if a coach departs, all players should have the freedom to transfer and compete right away.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Damn Bill just called out millennials for not leaving well enough alone, then he punched tblack right in the head for loving NIL earlier in this thread.

Firm, but fair.
Firm but fair, Just like God (GMU79) intended.

Us millennials have been stirring up trouble ever since we all decided to be homeless and shit in public parks during occupy Wall Street.

For the record I do still think NIL is a good thing, and really wouldn’t care as much if the rumor wasn’t he was quitting during the season.