2023-24 Schedule

I tend to go to 90% of each season's home games.

Maybe it's just me, but this schedule seems on par with the pre-conference schedules I've been to over the last 17 years, especially in year one of a new coach.

agree Scott...the only one that bothers me is Bridgewater. The school admin could've done a little better than that one, but the rest of the home games are very on par with the past years. I'll give Tony a pass on the OOC, as he replaced 10 players, hired an entire staff, set a new culture, and had to make a schedule practically from scratch. The Home A10 schedule is brutal enough this year (SLU, Dayton, vcu all at home).

GMU79

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'll refrain from giving you a hard time ;) but for what its worth, it might not be Mason who can't let you print tickets. They use ticketmaster as a vendor, and they may not allow it. If I recall they had some help videos out to show how to retrieve tickets. Sucks that the trouble still happened, but hopefully next time it wont.
I appreciate you being understanding toward us old-timers.:giggle:

OP
MasonFanatic

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
What I found most confusing is the game tickets being mobile-only, and the gold room passes being paper-only. I forgot my gold room pass twice last season as a result. I don't particularly care which method is used, but I would like either a paper option for tickets, or a mobile option for gold room passes.

OP
MasonFanatic

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I updated the first page with all the new information released this week.

At least, I hope I got all of it. :p

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
For the Home exhibition game against St Thomas, is it free or do we have to buy tickets?
You’ll have to camp out in the field house for 2 days to get tickets.

Nah usually they are discounted but sometimes free/included for season ticket holders

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I’m not sure why everyone wants to schedule P5 games. This current roster is unproven at this point. I rather have a bunch of W’s entering conference play.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
According to that logo, the St. Thomas we're playing is the NAIA school in Miami, not the D1 transitioner in Minnesota.

St. Thomas was 26-8 last season, and lost in the NAIA round of 16. HC Patrick Crarey II is a DC native and former coach & athletic director at Washington Adventist, where he was conference COY twice.

He also coached at Takoma Academy, which Tony Skinn attended.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I’m not sure why everyone wants to schedule P5 games. This current roster is unproven at this point. I rather have a bunch of W’s entering conference play.

Can I remind you of the overhyped 2019 team that was 10-1 at one point and finished in the PIG? I’d rather the team test itself some in non-conference play than rack up a bunch of wins against crappy competition and then be uncompetitive.

phoenix-arizona

All-American
I can see both sides of this. Maybe building a great looking record against not great teams is a nice way to build confidence and momentum going into the conference schedule and the team is able to punch above its weight. Or it's like 19 and everything happens as Gemini says.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Can I remind you of the overhyped 2019 team that was 10-1 at one point and finished in the PIG? I’d rather the team test itself some in non-conference play than rack up a bunch of wins against crappy competition and then be uncompetitive.
That’s fair. But imagine the team that finished in the pig with a tough OOC. That whole season would have sucked lol. At least we got some enjoyment, even if it was fools gold.

GMU79

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
That’s fair. But imagine the team that finished in the pig with a tough OOC. That whole season would have sucked lol. At least we got some enjoyment, even if it was fools gold.
Lots of ways to look at this. And I agree with all you guys. :unsure::LOL:

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
They scheduled 1 non-D1 (which I don't care for).. the other is an exhibition which should be a glorified practice.

The program has to get to a point where they would not be viewed as a "bad loss". It'd also be fantastic if the league would help them out. Some kind of scheduling alliance between the A10, MWC and maybe the MVC that creates a bracket busters type of situation. Every team gets a home game and an away game.

I agree with you and others who object to non-DI opponents being scheduled OOC. The level of competition during practice is superior to what we get from these DII-DIII cup cakes, so what's the point? To give the 2-3K fans in attendance a rise?

The A10 is not unique in the challenge of scheduling solid OOC games. As you point out, the MVC, MWC, and maybe the American and CUSA all face the same challenge and are comparable to the A10 - most years - in talent. So what is keeping these teams from scheduling each other during the OOC portion of our respective schedules??? Really...I want to know because it strikes me as absurd that it isn't happening.

There's a much better shot that Tulsa, Temple, Colorado St, New Mexico, and Mason, etc., catch fire during the season and lift the collective SoS/Net than the patsies that typically get scheduled.

The P5 conference teams (and their fan base) love blasting inferior teams during the OOC portion of the schedule because it's FUN to watch your team dunk 14 times on alley-oops, knowing none of it matters when it comes to Selection Sunday. Finish slightly better than .500 in league play and you're competing for a national championship.

AS AN ADDED BONUS: The mere fact that you compete in a P5 conference means you get a shot to win a conference championship - from Thursday to Sunday - in front of a national audience (also very exciting!!), while the mid-majors get to strut their conference-title stuff only on Saturday and Sunday on the minor cable channels - ESPN 2, USA, TNT, MASN, etc.

It's all so biased to favor the P5.

In sum: stop scheduling these very weak sisters. I want every team that we play OOC to be capable of beating us.

Under CTS, more often that not, it won't happen, so the joke is on them (shssh!).

Hopefully.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree with you and others who object to non-DI opponents being scheduled OOC. The level of competition during practice is superior to what we get from these DII-DIII cup cakes, so what's the point? To give the 2-3K fans in attendance a rise?

The A10 is not unique in the challenge of scheduling solid OOC games. As you point out, the MVC, MWC, and maybe the American and CUSA all face the same challenge and are comparable to the A10 - most years - in talent. So what is keeping these teams from scheduling each other during the OOC portion of our respective schedules??? Really...I want to know because it strikes me as absurd that it isn't happening.

There's a much better shot that Tulsa, Temple, Colorado St, New Mexico, and Mason, etc., catch fire during the season and lift the collective SoS/Net than the patsies that typically get scheduled.

The P5 conference teams (and their fan base) love blasting inferior teams during the OOC portion of the schedule because it's FUN to watch your team dunk 14 times on alley-oops, knowing none of it matters when it comes to Selection Sunday. Finish slightly better than .500 in league play and you're competing for a national championship.

AS AN ADDED BONUS: The mere fact that you compete in a P5 conference means you get a shot to win a conference championship - from Thursday to Sunday - in front of a national audience (also very exciting!!), while the mid-majors get to strut their conference-title stuff only on Saturday and Sunday on the minor cable channels - ESPN 2, USA, TNT, MASN, etc.

It's all so biased to favor the P5.

In sum: stop scheduling these very weak sisters. I want every team that we play OOC to be capable of beating us.

Under CTS, more often that not, it won't happen, so the joke is on them (shssh!).

Hopefully.
Not for nothing, but we’re playing 2 AAC teams this season and have a chance to play UCF, which just moved from the AAC to the Big 12, if we win our first game in Jacksonville.

Hopefully there will be more of that in the future — as Tony raises the profile of the program, it should be easier to get games against the top mid-majors.