2023-24 Schedule

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not for nothing, but we’re playing 2 AAC teams this season and have a chance to play UCF, which just moved from the AAC to the Big 12, if we win our first game in Jacksonville.

Hopefully there will be more of that in the future — as Tony raises the profile of the program, it should be easier to get games against the top mid-majors.
That's all well and good and I hope we do win that first game in Jax. The larger question I was attempting to raise (as others have) is why we're not scheduling more than just the 2 AAC teams? I'll give Tony a pass b/c it's his first year, but all the MM are in the same boat, with the same frustrations, so if we hope to do something about it, the MM conferences really don't have a choice, do they? We have to schedule more OOC games with each other.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Seems like it would be in the best interests of each of the conferences, and each program, especially with the consolidation of conferences that is going on. I am really interested to know why something like this hasn't happened.

Has the conferences leadership balked at it?
Do the coaches/ADs of the individual programs not actually wanted it?
All good questions!

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
this. set it up like BracketBusters, though. Don't set the matchups in the summer, set them up in early Feb so it gives the top teams another quality game coming down the stretch
Yep. And wasn't this the case in 2006 when we beat a very good Wichita St team in the BB in Feb, which in turn proved to be a key non-conference win, which obviously helped us with the NCAA committee?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
That's all well and good and I hope we do win that first game in Jax. The larger question I was attempting to raise (as others have) is why we're not scheduling more than just the 2 AAC teams? I'll give Tony a pass b/c it's his first year, but all the MM are in the same boat, with the same frustrations, so if we hope to do something about it, the MM conferences really don't have a choice, do they? We have to schedule more OOC games with each other.
I agree with your comment here and do think that the AAC/A10 should partner up with scheduling especially with whats going on.

As far as the comment with scheduling more than 2 AAC teams, I have to think that Tony and company targeted a potential 3rd home and home but perhaps dates/benefit didn't work out. It only makes sense.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
vcu is actually on a Saturday! no complaints

dude...Tues., Jan. 9 – vcu
Homecoming in March! Interesting
Not sure if that will be actually Homecoming. Spring Break starts formally March 4th, but I have to think any of the on campus crowd will be gone by Thursday night. Can't see why folks would stick around for Homecoming.

Maybe one of the January games will be homecoming. No idea.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
dude...Tues., Jan. 9 – vcu

Not sure if that will be actually Homecoming. Spring Break starts formally March 4th, but I have to think any of the on campus crowd will be gone by Thursday night. Can't see why folks would stick around for Homecoming.

Maybe one of the January games will be homecoming. No idea.

Why did I think it said 6th? Oh, SLU is on 6th.

Screw you A10!

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Schedule is out. Get your complaints out.
My complaint - for the last n years!!
unbalanced schedule in league play is terrible.
ESPECIALLY for a mid major conference trying to get ore tan one team into te NCAA Tourney, and making non Tourney teams eligible for the NIT.

my method
Phase 1
balanced (in the mathematical sense) round robin schedule
14 games , 7 home,, 7 away

Phase 2
in season tournament
#1 hosts #2
#1 at #3
#2 hosts #3
do this for all 15 teams
2 games, 1 home, 1 away
16 total games, 8 home and 8 away

Phase 3
Rivalry game
Each team pick rival game
if a match play it
continue until all teas are paired
17 games - end there or go

Phase 4
Challenge Match
Team in first place challenges any team below them
no rights of refusal
continue to 3 teams left and those 3 play each other
need to make up for the odd team left out in Phase 3

better teams have better matchups to improve selction chance as an at learge team

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
11 day break in December for exams
8 day break for Christmas
7 day break in January
8 day break in February

hmmmmmmmmm

OP
MasonFanatic

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I can't remember us ever having zero Saturday home games in February before.

The A10 clearly hates us, and the best revenge would be for us to demolish this schedule. Sweep that home slate and they will have to respect us.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I can't remember us ever having zero Saturday home games in February before.

The A10 clearly hates us, and the best revenge would be for us to demolish this schedule. Sweep that home slate and they will have to respect us.
You said it, winning will earn respect. A10, or anybody for that matter, don't owe us anything until then.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If fordham can have one year of improvement to get a Friday night a10 so can mason.

if St Joes can get a Friday night a10 based on roster hype no reason we shouldn’t.

as always, winning cures all

although food for thought

Loy chi two years in league

2 Friday night games

Mason 10 years in league
0 Friday night games.

Loy chi finished dead last, last year

edit: mason had a Friday night a10 with Dayton in 21. We all got mad with Greenberg.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If fordham can have one year of improvement to get a Friday night a10 so can mason.

if St Joes can get a Friday night a10 based on roster hype no reason we shouldn’t.

as always, winning cures all

although food for thought

Loy chi two years in league

2 Friday night games

Mason 10 years in league
0 Friday night games.

Loy chi finished dead last, last year
If there’s any opportunity to stick it to Mason, the A-10 will take it. Giving us not a single home Saturday game in February is another example.

F them.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
If there’s any opportunity to stick it to Mason, the A-10 will take it. Giving us not a single home Saturday game in February is another example.

F them.
I’m not saying it’s right, but why does the A10 owe us anything?

We’ve been one of the worst teams in the conference since we joined and that’s not really debatable. We can’t even go on an exciting run to get beyond the QF, let alone get to the NCAA tournament.

That reality sucks and I want it to change just as much as everyone else here. We need to win our way back to any sort of relevance/respect.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I’m not saying it’s right, but why does the A10 owe us anything?

We’ve been one of the worst teams in the conference since we joined and that’s not really debatable. We can’t even go on an exciting run to get beyond the QF, let alone get to the NCAA tournament.

That reality sucks and I want it to change just as much as everyone else here. We need to win our way back to any sort of relevance/respect.
Actually it is debatable. Even Fordham and Duquesne are getting Friday national TV games — and I’m pretty sure their A-10 record is worse than ours since we joined.