2021 Recruiting

Mason32

Starter
Erik Reynolds
“I’d say George Mason is recruiting me the hardest,” Reynolds stated. “Right now, it’s between them and St. Joe’s.”

https://www.prephoops.com/2020/01/recruiting-report-erik-reynolds-2021/

What is he looking for in a school?

I’m looking for a school that allows me to be somewhat free within their offense.I Fits my playstyle, which is fast-paced. I want to go somewhere that gives me room to do what I do best, attack.”

Yeah I don't see this as a fit LOL

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
What is he looking for in a school?

I’m looking for a school that allows me to be somewhat free within their offense.I Fits my playstyle, which is fast-paced. I want to go somewhere that gives me room to do what I do best, attack.”

Yeah I don't see this as a fit LOL

Actually, DP’s offense gives guys tons of freedom. It’s generally what a motion offense is intended to do.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Actually, DP’s offense gives guys tons of freedom. It’s generally what a motion offense is intended to do.

I agree with Jim again! Ballscreen Motion relies on guards who can score at three levels (pop, midrange, at the rim) and pass out when help collapses. When you don't have the right personnel it looks pretty ugly because it's easy to defend if your guards can't do all three. There's a reason only Otis has been tremendously successful and everyone else in this system tops out at "pretty good." Need really strong scoring guards to get to the next level.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I agree with Jim again! Ballscreen Motion relies on guards who can score at three levels (pop, midrange, at the rim) and pass out when help collapses. When you don't have the right personnel it looks pretty ugly because it's easy to defend if your guards can't do all three. There's a reason only Otis has been tremendously successful and everyone else in this system tops out at "pretty good." Need really strong scoring guards to get to the next level.
I too agree with Jim regarding what ideally a motion offense looks like. Ours doesn't because of reasons highlighted and more. I also wonder how a team comprised of 6 returning guards is enticing to a potential recruit that wants freedom and to play now. When you recruit nothing but 1's and 2's the depth chart fills up quick. Especially if half are under 6 foot 2

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Wait a second......Isn't this what The Virus ran on offense? We blamed him for not having more structure to maximize the strengths of his players instead of letting the team run freestyle ball in a 4 out offense. Duke ran this last year b/c they had the best players at each position by far, and however, it back fired in the Dance. Are we strategic in that we expose mis matches? Is it our best option?

JPgmuswim

Starter
Is Mason tied to any JUCO or Grad transfers?

We probably wouldn’t hear anything until after the season when kids start to declare they are transferring/grad transferring. For instance, will AJ play at Mason next year? We don’t know and other teams wouldn’t be “tied” to him until after the season when we decides what he wants to do.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
From my understanding, I don’t think boyd is coming back. Kier is 50/50, dependent on the NCAA and what he wants to do.

I also think nothing is official with JDS, but I’m not sure he’d want to keep riding the bench, unless he thinks he can improve/ is working hard to improve to get minutes. He certainly has an opportunity with Hartwell and Kier out.

If JDS were to leave, I’d like a grad transfer as much as the next guy, especially a grad transfer big. But I’m not sure how realistic it would be for Mason to get one. I suspect anyone who’s good, will have a lot of competition, just because of the nature of their position.

I would like a transfer in general, should the opportunity open, perhaps another shooter. I think Dave needs to take a chance and considering the amount of transfers, there has to be someone who’s willing to come to Mason.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
One grad transfer wont cut it. Look at slu and dayton, they brought in several to become contenders.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
One grad transfer wont cut it. Look at slu and dayton, they brought in several to become contenders.

It's not like Paulsen didn't try this past offseason...remember when he personally went up to visit with that one transfer, who didn't come close to picking us? I think we just have to face the fact that Paulsen is a mediocre recruiter and guys who have a lot of options won't pick us.