2021 Recruiting

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Why even bother then? Making a top 6 is worthless — we would’ve been better off moving on to another guy months ago ... once other schools start getting involved just bow out because we’ve got no chance anyhow
Jim this is what I’ve been trying to portray to you for 4 yeArs. I didn’t convey it properly but am glad to have you on my island now

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Ahmad Dorsett is an assistant at NC A&T
Good, bring him in as an assistant.

Hell, call Scott Cherry and see if he wants to leave Memphis to come be the AHC.. serve as an experienced sounding board for Coach Skinn. How many more years of pro ball does Will Thomas have?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Jim this is what I’ve been trying to portray to you for 4 yeArs. I didn’t convey it properly but am glad to have you on my island now

I just want to win. If Dave could win consistently in the A-10 with this kind of recruiting I wouldn’t care. Just sick of being irrelevant and feeling it’s never gonna change.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I just want to win. If Dave could win consistently in the A-10 with this kind of recruiting I wouldn’t care. Just sick of being irrelevant and feeling it’s never gonna change.

I agree with this. Dave could recruit kids without arms and legs for all I care if he could win with him.

The main problem with Dave is he’s just not a winner, and every other shortcoming just adds fuel to the fire.

JPgmuswim

Starter
Any chance Skinn would be willing to come here in Simpkins role as our associate head coach, under a new head coach. That would probably be my ideal scenario.

JPgmuswim

Starter
0%. associate HC at mason is a step down from his current gig. It’s HC or nothing I’d bet.
Fair, I don’t know enough about him as a coach or his actual recruiting successes to say I’d want him. All I have is the wonderful memories of our amazing run, the bracket buster game, and the nut punch to go off of, he was a fun player to watch.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree with this. Dave could recruit kids without arms and legs for all I care if he could win with him.

The main problem with Dave is he’s just not a winner, and every other shortcoming just adds fuel to the fire.

Not really fair (based on his career record) to say he’s not a winner. But he certainly hasn’t proven he can build a consistent winning program at Mason and unless the 2020-21 team shocks the world, it’s gonna be Year 6 of mediocrity or worse. That just magnifies his recruiting weakness.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Fair, I don’t know enough about him as a coach or his actual recruiting successes to say I’d want him. All I have is the wonderful memories of our amazing run, the bracket buster game, and the nut punch to go off of, he was a fun player to watch.
3 years as an assistant with Team Takeover (DC)
3 years as an assistant at LA Tech
2 years as an assistant at Seton Hall

He’s young, relevant, and has a history of recruiting the DC area.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Yall stop bashing Lil Dave. He will sign a better recruit than CASTRO. Just keep waiting a little longer.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
First, I am concerned that sleeperpick has taken Jim hostage and is now controlling his keyboard.

Second, as much as I like Tony Skinn, I'm kind of shocked that nobody here is talking about former Mason assistant Eric Konkol. I'm not sure if he would leave Louisiana Tech, but he would be a great, young candidate with several years of head coaching experience in CUSA.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
First, I am concerned that sleeperpick has taken Jim hostage and is now controlling his keyboard.

Second, as much as I like Tony Skinn, I'm kind of shocked that nobody here is talking about former Mason assistant Eric Konkol. I'm not sure if he would leave Louisiana Tech, but he would be a great, young candidate with several years of head coaching experience in CUSA.

Konkol would be great, but I think the general consensus is we aren’t a big enough step up at this point and he can make the jump direct to a P5 if he keeps up what he’s been doing there. I’d love it if he came back, I just don’t see it happening.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Funny. They did actually reverse roles last night.

that said, if Dave doesn’t work out I have to think Brad won’t be around either to make the next hire. I have no idea how this is all going to pan out other than time is ticking to win for Dave. Somehow the league keeps getting better and better recruiting wise, and Mason has been left behind even with new facilities that were supposed to help.

also as much as I’m on board with Tony Skinn for next coach, Mason is still Mason, so don’t bet on it. They’ll find the next coach who’s willing to be paid 400k in the A10 with incentives from America East or Patriot League.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

He’d be an incredible get, but like TBlack said, he’s probably staring down a P5 job. Mason would be a lateral move.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
We might want to pump the brakes a bit on the Konkol love train, at least until he makes an NCAA at La Tech.

DP went to 2 NCAAs and two NITs at Bucknell and his results at Mason have been mostly meh.

I know many of us are eager to reconnect with the one period when our program was nationally relevant, but if we’re gonna change coaches I’d prefer to take a gamble and see if Skinn can be our Shaka.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
We might want to pump the brakes a bit on the Konkol love train, at least until he makes an NCAA at La Tech.

DP went to 2 NCAAs and two NITs at Bucknell and his results at Mason have been mostly meh.

I know many of us are eager to reconnect with the one period when our program was nationally relevant, but if we’re gonna change coaches I’d prefer to take a gamble and see if Skinn can be our Shaka.
Skinn is my top, realistic choice. Bring in an assistant that has a history of recruiting/developing post players, and let’s roll.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
You've heard of Nolan Richardson and "40 minutes of Hell" and Shaka with "Havoc". If Skinn comes on board we may finally have an identity.... we can be GMU and "40 minutes of busting your balls!" In all seriousness Skinn would definately be worthy of consideration.

Mason32

Starter
Why even bother then? Making a top 6 is worthless — we would’ve been better off moving on to another guy months ago ... once other schools start getting involved just bow out because we’ve got no chance anyhow

im sure the staff knows this, it’s just the six mason fans on Twitter who go nuts thinking we had a chance getting this kid