Ways the team is being promoted or marketed in the community

I got the letter today as well, they want an extra $1200 for my 2 seats for gold room. Guess what, they ain't getting that money. I will gladly hit up Banditos/Fats/Velocity wings instead pre-and post-game for a fraction of the cost.

Thanks to those who get hired to fill seats and raise revenue yet alienate those who've been around for years. RIP Gold Room, it was nice to have you when we did.

my trust in GMU is going downhill quick. That doesn't even include the graduate level class I just dropped this morning.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I got the letter today as well, they want an extra $1200 for my 2 seats for gold room. Guess what, they ain't getting that money. I will gladly hit up Banditos/Fats/Velocity wings instead pre-and post-game for a fraction of the cost.

Thanks to those who get hired to fill seats and raise revenue yet alienate those who've been around for years. RIP Gold Room, it was nice to have you when we did.

my trust in GMU is going downhill quick. That doesn't even include the graduate level class I just dropped this morning.
If this increase is true, I wonder what the justification is?

Product on the court hasn’t improved enough (yet) to jack up ticket prices. It also doesn’t appear this increase is tied to additional perks being offered or an upgraded Gold Room experience.

The Great PATSby

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Honestly, there's almost no incentive to be a season ticket holder anymore. There's always lower bowl tickets available on the secondary market for a fraction of what I pay per a game with season tickets/contribution. Mason runs promos all the time on individual tickets for half off tickets. During the month of winter break, you can sit behind the hoops in GA for like 5 bucks. Promotional stadium give-aways have absolutly sucked the last couple years. Anything that was remotely cool wasn't guaranteed to season ticket holders... so unless you're super early you aint getting them. With my kids activities, I can maybe only go to 2/3 of the season. I'm forced to give away the tickets because if I resold them in ticketmaster, I would only get back about half my money.

Product on the court hasn’t improved enough (yet) to jack up ticket prices. It also doesn’t appear this increase is tied to additional perks being offered or an upgraded Gold Room experience.

The justification was to "change its benefits structure and communications strategies." yet the letter went on to discuss something about the BS priority point system that I have never in 20+ years of being a season ticket holder been shared my point balance.

the real bottom line is you are correct the product is still losing in first round of A10 tournament every year, yet they feel they can pinch more of its existing fans? I'm not that stupid. They'll get their $600 seat donation and that's it. Maybe after this year, I'll become a Value ball ticket purchaser.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
The justification was to "change its benefits structure and communications strategies." yet the letter went on to discuss something about the BS priority point system that I have never in 20+ years of being a season ticket holder been shared my point balance.

the real bottom line is you are correct the product is still losing in first round of A10 tournament every year, yet they feel they can pinch more of its existing fans? I'm not that stupid. They'll get their $600 seat donation and that's it. Maybe after this year, I'll become a Value ball ticket purchaser.
Did you reach out to them? Very well could be a miscommunication in their email/letter and nothing has actually changed.

GMU_Polevaulter

Preferred Walk-On

I did reach out to them - the letter is ambiguous, but they told me no change - your $1200 seat fee will still net you 2 gold room tickets. So they did not increase the gold room prices or change the seat contribution counting towards gold room tickets.
I'll be disappointed if no more Coach talk in Gold Room - I did actually listen.....

I did reach out to them - the letter is ambiguous, but they told me no change - your $1200 seat fee will still net you 2 gold room tickets. So they did not increase the gold room prices or change the seat contribution counting towards gold room tickets.
I'll be disappointed if no more Coach talk in Gold Room - I did actually listen.....
Thanks for checking with them. I sent them an email asking about the ambiguity and got an out of office. Glad nothing has changed.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Glad it sounds like the issues above has been resolved.

That being said, Mason basketball is experiencing similar impacts of price inflation that the rest of us are feeling personally. Also we are always hoping for the program to step up its game. To some degree, that will require money. So, we shouldn't be surprised when the day comes that they do have to raise prices to keep things moving forward.

It is ultimately very much like a business, and people should make choices based on if the product and your commitment to the program are meeting your needs/wants/goals/etc. I just wonder how everyone expects the program to grow (raise money/keep up/improve program and experience) without eventually asking for more money from the long term fans. Maybe it isn't a betrayal that is hinted at above, but just trying to maintain/improve the overall program.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

That being said, Mason basketball is experiencing similar impacts of price inflation that the rest of us are feeling personally. Also we are always hoping for the program to step up its game. To some degree, that will require money. So, we shouldn't be surprised when the day comes that they do have to raise prices to keep things moving forward.

It is ultimately very much like a business, and people should make choices based on if the product and your commitment to the program are meeting your needs/wants/goals/etc. I just wonder how everyone expects the program to grow (raise money/keep up/improve program and experience) without eventually asking for more money from the long term fans. Maybe it isn't a betrayal that is hinted at above, but just trying to maintain/improve the overall program.
Idk man - I definitely enjoy talking about how the program needs more money and then being first in line to talk about how things are too expensive. If we don't do that, wheres the fun?

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I remember emailing the AD when we played Maryland in the first round of the NCAAT. This was a loooong time ago. I asked why the school wasn’t advertising the tournament appearance. Needless to say the response was underwhelming…some stupidity about them in discussions about what they should do. Apparently nothing because that is what they did…nothing.

Seems nothing has changed.

JimP

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I remember emailing the AD when we played Maryland in the first round of the NCAAT. This was a loooong time ago. I asked why the school wasn’t advertising the tournament appearance. Needless to say the response was underwhelming…some stupidity about them in discussions about what they should do. Apparently nothing because that is what they did…nothing. Seems nothing has changed.
I remember emailing the AD when we played Maryland in the first round of the NCAAT. This was a loooong time ago. I asked why the school wasn’t advertising the tournament appearance. Needless to say the response was underwhelming…some stupidity about them in discussions about what they should do. Apparently nothing because that is what they did…nothing.

Seems nothing has changed.
Great game, but tough loss. Lived in Vienna at the time. Recall heading to campus to catch the end of game after work. Fun environment - probably the nexus of my Mason fandom. Too bad about the lack of promotion...

Sports is no different than most industries right now. Mason is especially similar to government as a public school where lots of new spending is being incurred to the point where costs have to inevitably rise.

Some are by necessity, some by choice (or stupidity), whether it is paying out NIL, rebranding, etc.

People are re-examining whether sport costs in general are worth the squeeze, and that's a good thing. Whether it's paying ridiculous parking, concessions, ticket fees, whatever...

In Mason's case, you have a non-conference home schedule that excites no one, plus most A10 opponents who most of us have minimal connection to. Season tickets make less sense, the Gold Room experience is watered down, and everybody wants more money from us now.

Not all Mason's fault, but maybe a bold re-imagining of costs/game day/hospitality room experience is/was needed before the rebranding, another cost we pay for either through taxes or Mason prices...

Baby steps like scheduling JMU are important. My plan would be to give (only) top donors more benefits inside and promote more student-oriented and tailgating activities outside. (Local businesses/food trucks can pay Mason to provide food outside) Knock down the costs of all but the best seat donations slightly (increase those slightly), also ticket costs. Still give gold benefits, but with more private events, less GameDay gold rooms...

You can't Market the team itself to casuals, nobody knows who the team is in the NIL era. Market crazy ____ Nights and Tailgate/carnival stuff, etc. Highlight how going to a Mason game is ___% less expensive than doing something else...etc, etc.

I like the new Mason people but they've got a helluva job they need to pull off...

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Sports is no different than most industries right now. Mason is especially similar to government as a public school where lots of new spending is being incurred to the point where costs have to inevitably rise.

Some are by necessity, some by choice (or stupidity), whether it is paying out NIL, rebranding, etc.

People are re-examining whether sport costs in general are worth the squeeze, and that's a good thing. Whether it's paying ridiculous parking, concessions, ticket fees, whatever...

In Mason's case, you have a non-conference home schedule that excites no one, plus most A10 opponents who most of us have minimal connection to. Season tickets make less sense, the Gold Room experience is watered down, and everybody wants more money from us now.

Not all Mason's fault, but maybe a bold re-imagining of costs/game day/hospitality room experience is/was needed before the rebranding, another cost we pay for either through taxes or Mason prices...

Baby steps like scheduling JMU are important. My plan would be to give (only) top donors more benefits inside and promote more student-oriented and tailgating activities outside. (Local businesses/food trucks can pay Mason to provide food outside) Knock down the costs of all but the best seat donations slightly (increase those slightly), also ticket costs. Still give gold benefits, but with more private events, less GameDay gold rooms...

You can't Market the team itself to casuals, nobody knows who the team is in the NIL era. Market crazy ____ Nights and Tailgate/carnival stuff, etc. Highlight how going to a Mason game is ___% less expensive than doing something else...etc, etc.

I like the new Mason people but they've got a helluva job they need to pull off...
Good post.
A long time ago a young man named Andy Ruge thought to bring a primate to the Old Dominion game. The result was 2006.

We can do the same again. Exotic animals. A basset hound race. Carnies who live and work in K Lot. Wrestling style pyrotechnics.

Let's (you) do this. (Not me, I already have four jobs)
I still think we need to bring back a mikey the chimp descendent even if we go to another exotic animal.

Once time on her deathbed my mom told me I have more creativity in my balls than most people have in their entire bodies. She was right.

Make all but the most handicapped Green Machine members walk from downtown Fairfax to day games playing music, while drunks pay for the honor of following them to the arena. Make it a pied piper-type fundraiser. I'd do it, would beat the shit out of the gold room.

And f your donation table Green Machine anyway. I dont give money for nothing no more. If you want a donation from me, have four of your members follow me all day at work and play Jollays theme music.

Every good hero needs theme music

And more walking fundraisers/events in general! Frankly, a lot of you people are too goddamned fat!!!

I agree with a Jollay's point about having more organic events outdoors like tailgates, etc. If Mason can just get out of the over-regulating funk they are in. It ain't organic if you have to get a permit, pay for police and janitorial, cordon off space with Jersey barriers, etc.

How about letting the kids/groups do their own thing until they screw up, and then punish the ones (and only the ones) that screw up?

I'd be much more inclined to show up early and mix with the students if everything didn't have to be so scripted.