OT - US Olympic Basketball

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I need a hoop fix this summer so I'm glad it's an Olympic year. I'm off season weary/bored and need to see some games that matter. I watched the US Olympic tune-up against Canada last night. Final was US 86 - Canada 72. We started off very poorly, down 10 in the first quarter but rallied to win. In case you don't know there are 4 more games before the Olympics actually start.

All game times are Eastern
July 15 - Noon against Australia on FS1
July 17 - Noon against Serbia on FS1
July 20 - 3PM against South Sudan on FOX
July 22 - 3PM against Germany on FOX

Paris Olympics - Group play
July 28 - 11:15 AM against Serbia on NBC
July 31 - 3PM against South Sudan on NBC
August 3 - 11:15 AM against Puerto Rico on NBC

Discuss.

Last edited:

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I caught the 1st half of last night's game. Despite the rocky start, I thought the quality of the basketball was better than most NBA games I've watched (college > NBA imo). My two son's are more diehard NBAers than me and said it was because most NBA teams are built around 2-3 players. Whereas, the entire US team are those elite players allowing for more team play.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I caught the 1st half of last night's game. Despite the rocky start, I thought the quality of the basketball was better than most NBA games I've watched (college > NBA imo). My two son's are more diehard NBAers than me and said it was because most NBA teams are built around 2-3 players. Whereas, the entire US team are those elite players allowing for more team play.
Agreed. I would love to see that kind of intensity in NBA games. If that was the norm I'd go back to watching. Limit the season to 50 games? Cut it to 40 minutes? Both would improve the intensity and quality of games but I know it will never happen because it's all about the $$$$$$. Looking forward to the coming games. Jrue Holiday can play some D!!!! Damn.

phoenix-arizona

All-American
I need a hoop fix this summer so I'm glad it's an Olympic year. I'm off season weary/bored and need to see some games that matter. I watched the US Olympic tune-up against Canada last night. Final was US 86 - Canada 72. We started off very poorly, down 10 in the first quarter but rallied to win. In case you don't know there are 4 more games before the Olympics actually start.

All game times are Eastern
July 15 - Noon against Australia on FS1
July 17 - Noon against Serbia on FS1
July 20 - 3PM against South Sudan on FOX
July 22 - 3PM against Germany on FOX

Paris Olympics - Group play
July 28 - 11:15 AM against Serbia on NBC
July 31 - 3PM against South Sudan on NBC
August 3 - 11:15 AM against Puerto Rico on NBC

Discuss.
I don't know much about international basketball. Outside of the United States I would guess Serbia would go to knockout stage as well? I remember Yugoslavia being good in basketball.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I don't know much about international basketball. Outside of the United States I would guess Serbia would go to knockout stage as well? I remember Yugoslavia being good in basketball.
The top 4 favorites are the US, Canada, France, and Serbia.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
USA over Serbia
105-79
Curry with 24

much better team performance than last game
Yup. I was worried when we gave up 28 points in the first quarter but shut them down after that. Steph was back to being Steph.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
US was a 43.5 point favorite over South Sudan.

Final score : US 101 - South Sudan 100.

I wish we played with their heart and intensity. Perhaps their life experiences just make them tougher than spoiled US players.

DRK331

Starter
Here is a Youtube video of Lebron's game winning layup and the last play of the game by South Sudan

Here is a Youtube video of Lebron's game winning layup and the last play of the game by South Sudan

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
A close one against Germany. It is good they are getting tested like this.
I'm not as optimistic about our chances for Gold after watching the "warm up" games. American NBA players just aren't used to having to compete on every possession. We still seem to be more interested in providing highlights as opposed to results. We'll see.