Goodbye Josh Oduro

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023

Good/fair question. Lots of ways to interpret it. If Kolek and Miller stick in the NBA and have long successful careers one could argue that on behalf of DP. Both were under recruited out of high school. But, the bottom line is that DP did not win. Coach L is the gold standard, at least in my opinion, for Mason thus far yet he has no Mason NBA talent to show for it. For me it boils down to how you define "best recruiter ever."
I'm just speaking purely an eye for talent perspective. Miller and Oduro was local no bodies and Kolek was a mid major darling. I'd be interested to hear what he saw when he looked at them.

I'd throw XJ in that also, leading scorer in the NCAA his last season. Was it just pure luck he found these gems.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'd throw XJ in that also, leading scorer in the NCAA his last season. Was it just pure luck he found these gems.
All players who got immensely better after Paulsen. I don’t think they develop the way they did under him, and definitely don’t get used the way they ended up reaching their potential under other coaches.

There’s no real good comparison because in 6 years he somehow only managed to graduate 1 player (Otis), and his play seemed limited by injury his senior season.

He also recruited plenty of other players during those 6 years who did not belong at this level, and that showed when they transferred after he left. Does going 4/40 make you a good recruiter? I obviously don’t know, but I’d prefer someone who can consistently land talent that makes you competitive at this level, not someone who occasionally finds a diamond in the rough and plays them out of position surrounded by guys who should have been playing in the CAA.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"The Pelicans have removed four players from their preseason roster, announcing in a press release on Wednesday that they’ve requested waivers on Elfrid Payton, Keion Brooks Jr., Trhae Mitchell, and Josh Oduro.

All four players were on essentially identical non-guaranteed contracts with Exhibit 10 clauses and will now be eligible to earn bonuses worth $77.5K apiece if they reported to the Birmingham Squadron and spend at least 60 days with New Orleans’ G League affiliate.

Brooks and Oduro went undrafted earlier this year and have no prior G League experience, so they can be designated as “affiliate players” for the Squadron."

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
A college coach's job is to win games. A "great recruiter" is a guy who recruits kids who win games. Paulsen did not do that. Those players then won games at other schools? Cool. But his job was to recruit the right players for this system, at this school, at this time. That didn't happen. I liked Paulsen at Bucknell. Just didn't work out at all here.

Masonfan3

Starter
I'm just speaking purely an eye for talent perspective. Miller and Oduro was local no bodies and Kolek was a mid major darling. I'd be interested to hear what he saw when he looked at them.

Local no bodies? Miller was the state player of the year, state champion, and 1st Team All Met. The only reason he was not more well known or recruited more was because he played on a shitty D1SA AAU team. Josh Oduro played for a top 15 team in the country (PVI) and was 2nd team all conference in probably the best high school conference in the country. There is no arguing that DP was a great recruiter. It has been said, and I will say it again, DP recruited more NBA players at the mid major level than OCM did. OCM was able to take kids who wanted to go to UMD, Gtown, etc. and get them to play team well together and therefore is the gold standard at Mason for coaching. But DP was able to find better talent and get them to come to Mason.