Game 7, Rhode Island, Nov. 30th, 4 PM, MASN

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I have gotten the impression that Corey still doesn't understand Hewitt's offense, and so sometimes he doesn't do what his teammates are expecting him to do (and visa versa). So even if he makes a smart play, if it wasn't the play that was called/expected, it causes chaos.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Wright had a medicore game last night. Watched the game on TV and he threw some terrible passes. For that, he did not get pulled. He should have and this is one thing hewitt needs to change or be more consistent with all players on. You can't pass...sit down. Take out the horrible passes from Wright and he did in fact have a great game. But those bad passes made him look like a freshman.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Wright had a medicore game last night. Watched the game on TV and he threw some terrible passes. For that, he did not get pulled. He should have and this is one thing hewitt needs to change or be more consistent with all players on. You can't pass...sit down. Take out the horrible passes from Wright and he did in fact have a great game. But those bad passes made him look like a freshman.

I would agree - but if you are missing Arledge and Copes was in and out because of him being a bit rusty - do you pull one of your higher scorers - not sure that was a luxury at the moment. I noticed he pulled CE for one of those transgressions and BA.

On the flip there were some really nieces passes and handoffs between BA and Marko and Johnny and Holloway - as well as a couple crisp bounce passes under the post.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Im not the same as somebody like Tom etc who gets by thinking some hopeful magical turn around out of the blue is coming.

This made me laugh. First of all, we don't need a magical turnaround under Hewitt, because we've won 24 and 21 games in his first two seasons at Mason. Second, there is always room for improvement, so I'm always game for a discussion on what the team can and must do to get better. As GSII astutely pointed out, Sherrod's passing was horrible yesterday. I also thought Allen tried to do way too much and forced several shots.

What I won't do is come here after a win and complain like you and Jim like the sky is falling. I think you both need to check your diplomas, because I'm pretty sure they don't say that either of you went to Duke or Kansas.

Patriotfan49

Starter

From the way he started, and seemed pumped up...I was expecting a huge game. He had close to 10 points pretty quick. Seemed to tail off the remainder of the game.

Allen also had a few bad passes that were easily picked off.

Last edited:

Patriotfan49

Starter
This made me laugh. First of all, we don't need a magical turnaround under Hewitt, because we've won 24 and 21 games in his first two seasons at Mason. Second, there is always room for improvement, so I'm always game for a discussion on what the team can and must do to get better. As GSII astutely pointed out, Sherrod's passing was horrible yesterday. I also thought Allen tried to do way too much and forced several shots.

What I won't do is come here after a win and complain like you and Jim like the sky is falling. I think you both need to check your diplomas, because I'm pretty sure they don't say that either of you went to Duke or Kansas.

Who said the sky is falling or that we should be Duke or Kansas? Just pointing out issues and problems that have plagued us for a while....thats all..nothing more nothing less. Much like how you constantly post excuses or reasoning why we should wait, or hopeful that better days are coming.

I dont think hoping that we could compete with vcu or St Louis instead of "getting taken to the cleaners" is really acting like we should be Duke or Kansas. Or if that has even become too much these days, my bad.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I dont think hoping that we could compete with vcu or St Louis instead of "getting taken to the cleaners" is really acting like we should be Duke or Kansas.

Granted, the "taken to the cleaners" comment was overboard, but my point was more about needing the personnel to compete with teams like that. My biggest criticism of Coach L was that he never recruited specifically to beat vcu, and it cost us substantially in terms of getting to the NCAAT more.

I still like our team and think we can be competitive in the A10. It's just going to take some better players before we can match up with some of the more athletic teams in the league. I don't think it's praying for some magical development for that to take place, but it might take some time and patience.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Then just stop reading into what somebody with a different point than you says because you do that quite a bit and are frequently quite off base.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
No really, this is getting extremely annoying. It's the same thing over and over again. Quit whining and bickering at one another. I'll be ignoring this thread, and any other thread for that matter, if you guys keep this up. It's not conversation or simply opinions anymore, it's childish bickering and picking on one another over the same issues. I'll check back in when you guys put an end to this.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Fair enough. I just get tired of the same 3 or 4 posters dragging down every thread. Moving on.

AlphaMasonPatriot

Four-star Recruit
Enjoyed the game last night and a nice W for the Mason family. I think this is the kind of game we need to push through December, which is not going to be easy. Solid confidence builder here and seeing great things from our big men. 5-2, can't complain.

Could have held on to the ball a little better in the 2nd half but I am sure the turnovers were due to URI turning up the Dfence.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
There's nothing more disingenuous than saying that Hewitt must be doing something right because he's won 21 and 24 games and has a .600 winning pct. at Mason.

We all know that with our ability to buy games, and playing in an extremely mediocre league, it was fairly easy to schedule 20-win seasons.

But who have we beaten of any real quality?

I got bored today and went back through the record book from Hewitt's tenure. Here are our W's from the last two-plus seasons (I've bolded what I consider to be quality wins -- feel free to disagree):

2011-12 -- Rhody, Monmouth, Brown, Albany, Bucknell, at Towson, at Radford, Manhattan, at Charleston, W&M, at ODU, GSU, at JMU, Delaware, Towson, UNCW, at Hofstra, JMU, ODU, Hofstra, at UNCW, vcu (Sherrod miracle game), Lamar, GSU

2012-13 -- UVa, Mercer, Quinnipiac, Boston, at Rhody, UMBC, Richmond, at W&M, ODU, JMU, Hofstra, at Towson, at JMU, at ODU, at Drexel, at Hofstra, W&M, Drexel, at Charleston, Houston, W. Michigan, Santa Clara

2013-14 -- American, at Lamar, SFPA, Northern Iowa, Rhody

So yes, it's true that Hewitt has 50 wins in his first 77 games at Mason. But only 14 of those wins were against what I'd consider to be quality teams.

We beat 1 NCAA tournament team in 2011-12 (vcu), and needed a miracle 35-foot buzzer-beater to do it.

We beat 1 NCAA tournament team last season, but that was JMU and we own them. Had we not choked away the Northeastern game, we probably would've beaten JMU in the final and gone dancing.

It's really not that impressive when you break it down. Most of his wins have come over mediocre to bad opponents. BFD.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
So you are blaming the 2011-2012 schedule on Hewitt when it was rung up before he arrived. And most of the wins you are deriding are the very same teams we were playing years before sooooooo not sure what your point is. The opponents we faced the last two years were pretty much the type of opponents we faced the previous four years.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Jim, I appreciate the effort, but you can only play the teams on your schedule. To not count the wins you aren't impressed with is silly. If that was the barometer for any coach or athlete, you could arguably throw out half of their victories. Hell, there'd be no 300-win pitchers in the Hall of Fame. I'm not even sure there would be a 200-game winner.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Jim, I appreciate the effort, but you can only play the teams on your schedule. To not count the wins you aren't impressed with is silly. If that was the barometer for any coach or athlete, you could arguably throw out half of their victories. Hell, there'd be no 300-win pitchers in the Hall of Fame. I'm not even sure there would be a 200-game winner.

What he also failed to disclose is that these were the same type of teams we were facing the previous 5 years. So using his logic - we would need to discount many of OCM's regular season wins.

Dawgs99

Starter
Terrible argument from Jim, and thanks Pikap for reminding everyone that many of those teams mentioned we played during the L era. It almost seems like some personal vendetta with Jim and P49.