Facilities and Arena discussion

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I want two things in a new area: some level of natural light, and two tiers regardless of what the capacity is.
1000% agree on the natural light. I still can't get over Baylor's new arena, it's stunning. We'd obviously have to do a scaled down version from an amenities/finishes standpoint, but that should be the general model.

- Seats that are closer and more "on top" of the court
- Two tiers which provides a ton more flexibility in design
- Premium club spaces for both pre and in-game hospitality
- Open air concourse w/ enhanced amenities & social areas for all fans

As the school (hopefully) starts to seriously think about the long term strategic plan for athletics and corresponding infrastructure projects, I'm sure the state of our basketball program over the next 5-7 years will play a big role in where we end up arena wise....stick w/ EBA longer term, a scaled down EBA w/ basic upgrades, or a full-scale modernized arena.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I'd be surprised if Monumental is still in the fold once their new sports/entertainment district is built in VA - which will include a 20k seat arena and 6k seat performing arts/entertainment center, amongst other things for fans to do. That project is going to pull a lot of non-sports events away from Mason/EBA.

To be clear, there is only a non-binding agreement between Monumental and Virginia to build the complex in Alexandria. For a trip down memory lane, see https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-s...gterm/1997/stadium/timeline/1992/alexaban.htm

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
With that new arena it sounds like Mason might be on their own to do something with EBA. I suspect Monumental isn't going to pony up for any help with renovation / modernization.

My hope is that something comes out to modernize it at some point in my lifetime. The issues are well known by just about anyone in the administration who cares about the building. Its just whether or not someone can help get the resources to fix those issues.

At some point, it has to be done. I know the practice facility is priority but this has to be on the top of the list as well.
Someone made a similar statement a couple weeks ago, that EBA needs a major renovation or has some huge list of issues. I asked, genuinely, for examples because I don't see it probably because I am there so often. The picture of the concourse saying it was dated was itself out of date since the walls are now white (not the yellow in the picture).

The only concrete example I recall anyone providing was the drop ceiling tiles. Fair enough, that could be replace for not too much (relative to a major renovation/rebuild). Someone else pointed out, though, that if your concern was the look of the concourse, maybe the product in the arena is the real problem.

I bring this up because I hear our own fans talking about EBA like it is imminent for destruction when it is still a perfectly good arena with a long useful lifespan left. Could it be better, of course. but is that really what needs the most attention in our program?

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Someone made a similar statement a couple weeks ago, that EBA needs a major renovation or has some huge list of issues. I asked, genuinely, for examples because I don't see it probably because I am there so often. The picture of the concourse saying it was dated was itself out of date since the walls are now white (not the yellow in the picture).

The only concrete example I recall anyone providing was the drop ceiling tiles. Fair enough, that could be replace for not too much (relative to a major renovation/rebuild). Someone else pointed out, though, that if your concern was the look of the concourse, maybe the product in the arena is the real problem.

I bring this up because I hear our own fans talking about EBA like it is imminent for destruction when it is still a perfectly good arena with a long useful lifespan left. Could it be better, of course. but is that really what needs the most attention in our program?
EBA is too big for our dwindling fanbase, but standalone, as an arena it’s in okay shape. Sight lines are still great no matter where you sit, and it’s not too vertical like some newer arenas. My only real area of complaint is for the gold room, and even that I’m unsure if it’s just the product as a whole needs a refresh, or if there needs to be some infrastructure changes to accommodate it.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Sure - no problem. I'll give you mine off the top of my head. Granted it has been a year since I have been to EBA, so I will probably come up with more ideas next week (and happy to discuss / collaborate more in person or update this post)

1) Luxury suites - most modern arenas have luxury suites as an option for corporate guests
2) Adequate Hospitality spaces - We've beaten this drum. Probably the biggest issue along with #1.
3) Seating - the seats are the original seats, with no cushion or wider bottoms (while I don't need a wide bottom, I do notice when seats are small-ish being a tall guy). This one is relatively minor considering other places. The seats also don't have cup holders (then again neither did MSG where I sat for the Providence/ St Johns game. Barclays has it though)
4) Gathering areas around the arena to watch the action. This is more of a nice to have, but most arenas have some sort of bar or space where folks can mingle and still catch the action.

Now yes, a lot of these are nice to haves and don't make an arena immediately ready to crumble but it would be nice to see some of these things addressed. I could add something like "modern bathroom" since one of the bathrooms hasn't been renovated on the concourse level (forget which side its on) and looks exactly the same as when I was in college. But again, thats a nice to have. I don't need a brand new bathroom to take a leak at EBA. Many of these items are just fan bitching- but I do think its important that some of these are modernized or addressed at some point. Also EBA is way too big for our basketball program but regardless.

I will say, there have been improvements including video board and the lighting in the arena. I liked what happened to the arena after the renovation happened in 2007 where the concourse got wider, a proper box office area was built etc. These improvements are also what I am thinking about in terms of peer venues not just A10 venues. I can't compare EBA to Rose Hill Gym or Tom Gola Arena.

The practice facility and academic center is much more important to get done first, but hopefully plans can be talked about in parallel.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
EBA is too big for our dwindling fanbase, but standalone, as an arena it’s in okay shape. Sight lines are still great no matter where you sit, and it’s not too vertical like some newer arenas. My only real area of complaint is for the gold room, and even that I’m unsure if it’s just the product as a whole needs a refresh, or if there needs to be some infrastructure changes to accommodate it.
Nail, meet head. Well said. A few other suggestions. One or two are serious, the rest are just ...... Offer free shots of Fireball before, during, and after each made free throw by either team. Issue tasers to Mason fans when vcu visits and let the fun begin. Issue cattle prods to fans to induce the old farts to stand and actually give a crap about the game. Close off the top half of EBA and just fill the lower bowl. Even then we'd have empty seats 95% of the time. Put up a tent outside on the patio and heat it to increase the size of the Gold Room. Eliminate scouts and the like, kids add nothing to the experience. Give Breathalyzer tests to all fans entering EBA, blow under .25 and you'll be asked to leave. Bring back T-Shirt Guy, Big Red, and Shirtless Dancer. ;)

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Sure - no problem. I'll give you mine off the top of my head. Granted it has been a year since I have been to EBA, so I will probably come up with more ideas next week (and happy to discuss / collaborate more in person or update this post)

1) Luxury suites - most modern arenas have luxury suites as an option for corporate guests
2) Adequate Hospitality spaces - We've beaten this drum. Probably the biggest issue along with #1.
3) Seating - the seats are the original seats, with no cushion or wider bottoms (while I don't need a wide bottom, I do notice when seats are small-ish being a tall guy). This one is relatively minor considering other places. The seats also don't have cup holders (then again neither did MSG where I sat for the Providence/ St Johns game. Barclays has it though)
4) Gathering areas around the arena to watch the action. This is more of a nice to have, but most arenas have some sort of bar or space where folks can mingle and still catch the action.

Now yes, a lot of these are nice to haves and don't make an arena immediately ready to crumble but it would be nice to see some of these things addressed. I could add something like "modern bathroom" since one of the bathrooms hasn't been renovated on the concourse level (forget which side its on) and looks exactly the same as when I was in college. But again, thats a nice to have. I don't need a brand new bathroom to take a leak at EBA. Many of these items are just fan bitching- but I do think its important that some of these are modernized or addressed at some point. Also EBA is way too big for our basketball program but regardless.

I will say, there have been improvements including video board and the lighting in the arena. I liked what happened to the arena after the renovation happened in 2007 where the concourse got wider, a proper box office area was built etc. These improvements are also what I am thinking about in terms of peer venues not just A10 venues. I can't compare EBA to Rose Hill Gym or Tom Gola Arena.

The practice facility and academic center is much more important to get done first, but hopefully plans can be talked about in parallel.
Co-sign

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
speaking of “nice to have” I second a sports bar style restaurant (it doesn’t even need to have a full bar). Also a team store (with official Adidas gear), and a hall of fame museum would be great additions to EBA.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I am still only hearing nice to have at the same time we admit we have a dwindling fanbase and no significant source of increased revenue. I don't think the reality of the situation hast hit most of you.

If you want to spend your time dreaming about what would be nice, that is fine, but you are shooting way to low for an exercise in dreaming.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I am still only hearing nice to have at the same time we admit we have a dwindling fanbase and no significant source of increased revenue. I don't think the reality of the situation hast hit most of you.

If you want to spend your time dreaming about what would be nice, that is fine, but you are shooting way to low for an exercise in dreaming.
I think it's perfectly acceptable to talk about the number of shortcomings EBA has, while also agreeing that any renovations/rebuild isn't imminent nor should it be. This is the 'Facilities and Arena discussion' thread after all...

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Someone made a similar statement a couple weeks ago, that EBA needs a major renovation or has some huge list of issues. I asked, genuinely, for examples because I don't see it probably because I am there so often. The picture of the concourse saying it was dated was itself out of date since the walls are now white (not the yellow in the picture)."

Perhaps, you should ask your Mason contacts about the insidenova.com article - https://www.insidenova.com/news/edu...cle_5de9410e-7da9-11eb-99f4-af62c198e0ce.html

"As it creeps closer to its 40th birthday, George Mason University officials are giving more attention to the future of the 10,000-seat EagleBank Arena on its Fairfax campus.

'There will be a specific plan for that building,' said Gregory Janks, a consultant engaged by Mason to lead a master-planning process for facilities that kicked off at the start of 2020 and is expected to run through late 2021."

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I haven’t been to a game in 6 or 7 years…a cocktail bar is progress. Can one take the drink to their seat?

psyclone

Hall of Famer
There is a cocktail bar in EBA near section 129 portal
I walked past it during halftime of vcu game. No one in line. Bottle of Jim Beam and 2 other bottles displayed on the counter.

I think the top price was $15 or $20 for a cocktail.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Perhaps, you should ask your Mason contacts about the insidenova.com article - https://www.insidenova.com/news/edu...cle_5de9410e-7da9-11eb-99f4-af62c198e0ce.html

"As it creeps closer to its 40th birthday, George Mason University officials are giving more attention to the future of the 10,000-seat EagleBank Arena on its Fairfax campus.

'There will be a specific plan for that building,' said Gregory Janks, a consultant engaged by Mason to lead a master-planning process for facilities that kicked off at the start of 2020 and is expected to run through late 2021."
Perhaps you should have noticed that article was written almost three years ago.

In related news, have you heard about our practice facility that has been in the planning for for almost 2 decades? They just started fundraising for that this year...

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Bit of a chicken and egg conundrum, no? No suites and a piss poor Gold Room probably limit revenue. How much is known only but to Allah and a spreadsheet somewhere on Lewis's computer.

I do think the Potomac Yard deal could throw a real spanner in the thinking of what to do with EBA. I bet a lot of acts who would put 8,000 in EBA would gladly just charge an extra couple bucks to make up the difference and play a brand new 6,000 seater nearer the city and next to the airport.