Facilities and Arena discussion

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Interestingly, In the only meeting of the programs, Georgetown won at Mason in the Patriot Center's inaugural season (1985-86). Mason finished the season 20-12, and played in the NIT.
That was a very good game, place was packed.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
That was a very good game, place was packed.

For a trip down memory lane - https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...n-75-63/9dbc7cab-f4f2-497b-a25c-936fa213295a/

"Ralph Dalton says without hesitation, whenever asked, that he is not Patrick Ewing and cannot replace him.

Even so, Dalton -- Georgetown's fifth-year senior center -- scored a career-high 18 points and pulled down a career-high 15 rebounds in 32 minutes playing time last night before a crowd of 8,188 at the Patriot Center to lead the No. 6-ranked Hoyas to a 75-63 victory over George Mason in the first meeting ever between the two schools.

It was the 300th career victory for Georgetown Coach John Thompson, who said he didn't even realize he was one short of the milestone until he was told earlier yesterday."

"Georgetown led by only 30-28 at halftime. But the Hoyas stepped up defensive pressure after intermission and scored the first 12 points to pull away, 42-28.

George Mason Coach Joe Harrington elected to go without freshman point guard Earl Moore through those first five minutes of the second half. And Georgetown's defense forced the Patriots into five turnovers, two timeouts and a charging foul.

Ricky Wilson and Rob Rose, anything but point guards, couldn't solve the Hoyas traps."

Obviously, Michael Wilbon who wrote the article had no idea that this would be the only meeting ever between the two programs.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I wonder if this is the consequence of the Fordham game last year. Urgo was going ballistic with the replays we were showing and I wonder if he complained.
They do show in game replays, but generally just good plays by Mason, and not anything that could embarass the referees, like Billups trying to call time out while sliding out of bounds on Tuesday. So basically what it was like before Kim.

At WBB last night they showed a replay during a video review, which made me realize we hadn't been seeing them for MBB.

GMU79

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
They do show in game replays, but generally just good plays by Mason, and not anything that could embarass the referees, like Billups trying to call time out while sliding out of bounds on Tuesday. So basically what it was like before Kim.

At WBB last night they showed a replay during a video review, which made me realize we hadn't been seeing them for MBB.
That was an incorrect call as both announcers pointed out. The refs decision defied logic.
BTW, I really like Escherick. He knows bball and the A10 really well.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
That was an incorrect call as both announcers pointed out. The refs decision defied logic.
I agree, when he calls the games with Bill it’s always very good to listen to and a nice combination. Also does his research.

Not like the clown Feinstein who thinks he's doing a talk show and sounds like he wants a friend to talk to.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Had him for a sport management class at Mason. He went the entire semester without once mentioning he coached a team to the Elite Eight. You'd never know who he was if you didn't google him. Most humble guy ever.

GMU79

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Had him for a sport management class at Mason. He went the entire semester without once mentioning he coached a team to the Elite Eight. You'd never know who he was if you didn't google him. Most humble guy ever.
Thanks for sharing that!

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Soccer culture coming to basketball. Love to see it. I still think Mason should innovate in this way. If I were in the area I’d be trying to force yall to help me do it.

If GMU/Monumental still wanted to attract concerts and ice shows along with basketball, Enmarket Arena in Savannah could be a facility to take a look at. 9,500 for concerts and 7,300 for hockey including twelve luxury suites, five lodge boxes, and a party suite. Cost was around $165 million.

If they wanted something smaller, something like Dollar Loan Center in Henderson, NV is an option. Has a capacity of 5,567 and a construction cost of $70 million.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Again, if there is alot of debt in EBA, it makes it all the more difficult. I have no idea what that debt is or if it exists. Hopefully its paid off.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
If GMU/Monumental still wanted to attract concerts and ice shows along with basketball, Enmarket Arena in Savannah could be a facility to take a look at. 9,500 for concerts and 7,300 for hockey including twelve luxury suites, five lodge boxes, and a party suite. Cost was around $165 million.
I'd be surprised if Monumental is still in the fold once their new sports/entertainment district is built in VA - which will include a 20k seat arena and 6k seat performing arts/entertainment center, amongst other things for fans to do. That project is going to pull a lot of non-sports events away from Mason/EBA.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'd be surprised if Monumental is still in the fold once their new sports/entertainment district is built in VA - which will include a 20k seat arena and 6k seat performing arts/entertainment center, amongst other things for fans to do. That project is going to pull a lot of non-sports events away from Mason/EBA.
Good. Then Tony and Blair can have all space and time they need.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
With that new arena it sounds like Mason might be on their own to do something with EBA. I suspect Monumental isn't going to pony up for any help with renovation / modernization.

My hope is that something comes out to modernize it at some point in my lifetime. The issues are well known by just about anyone in the administration who cares about the building. Its just whether or not someone can help get the resources to fix those issues.

At some point, it has to be done. I know the practice facility is priority but this has to be on the top of the list as well.