2023-24 Women's Basketball

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
That was a tough loss at Davidson, but understandable given the amount of players missing.

At least this team does seem to have the ability to win the conference tournament, as much as any of the other top 4 - but it might take winning out and losing in finals to get in as an at large.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"George Mason and George Washington will meet for the 46th time in program history as the Patriots look to sweep the Revolutionaries in a regular season home-home series for the first time since 2019. Mason downed GW on the road on Jan. 24, 57-41, for its' first road win in Washington, D.C. since 2019. All-time, GW leads the series 30-16, while Mason holds an 11-8 edge in Fairfax."

psyclone

Hall of Famer

"George Mason and George Washington will meet for the 46th time in program history as the Patriots look to sweep the Revolutionaries in a regular season home-home series for the first time since 2019. Mason downed GW on the road on Jan. 24, 57-41, for its' first road win in Washington, D.C. since 2019. All-time, GW leads the series 30-16, while Mason holds an 11-8 edge in Fairfax."
Not to nit-pick, but a couple of sentences in the Scouting the Revs, refers to the Wildcats (i.e. Davidson). Need a copy editor.

Also, it sure would be nice to know if Smith, Suarez, and Walton will be returning. But we don't get that sort of info for the men's team either. Is there a "covers" site for wbb, Pablo?

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"The win marks the 20th of the season for Mason, marking the first 20-win season since 2018, and the fastest a Mason squad has reached the mark in a season (25 games). The victory is also the 11th Atlantic 10 win of the season, tying the most by the team since joining the league.

Paula Suárez had one of the best games of her career, matching career-highs in points (16), assists (6), field goals (6) and three-pointers made (4). She also added four rebounds and two steals. Jazmyn Doster also had her best game of the season, posting a season-high 17 points with a team-high eight rebounds, two steals, two assists and a block."

psyclone

Hall of Famer
From the box score looks like Smith was still out?

Hopefully the team will be at full strength for the Richmond game on 2/24. That’s the big one.
Women pick up win 20

60 - 57

Could have used Smith today. The women had a solid working lead early in the second half but then....

"The Revolutionaries slowly chipped away at the Patriots' lead during the third, highlighted by a defense that held Mason to a game-low 12 points in the stanza. Four-straight free throws by GW gave the visitors their first lead of the game, 44-42, with two minutes remaining. Suárez took back the lead with a three-pointer, but the Revs converted off a Mason turnover to lead by one with 10 minutes remaining.

The fourth quarter was a thriller, featuring seven lead changes as the teams traded baskets throughout. Suárez once again put the Patriots back in front with a three-pointer with 6:06 remaining and Doster pushed them ahead by three (56-53), but GW hit a three-pointer a minute later to even the score. With 1:24 remaining, the Revolutionaries went 1-2 at the free throw line to take the lead, but Ta'Viyanna Habib put forth a valiant effort on the offensive end to pull down a rebound and convert the putback through a foul to give Mason the lead with 48 seconds to go.

George Washington brought the ball down and went for a layup with 20 seconds remaining, but it did not fall and Nekhu Mitchell pulled down her biggest rebound of the game and Mason called timeout. Off the inbound, Taylor Jameson was fouled and drilled two free throws to push the Patriots ahead by three, and GW could not get anything to land on the other end as Mason completed the series sweep for the first time since 2019."

Struggled a bit against the GW press and turned the ball over a few times that led to fast break baskets. I think Smith would have done a better job breaking the press and prevented that momentum shift. But ultimately, GW couldn't convert the big end-of-game shots

Walton did get hurt late in the game and went to the bench...not sure if she returned.

https://gomason.com/news/2024/2/17/...20th-game-of-season-with-victory-over-gw.aspx

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Walton did get hurt late in the game and went to the bench...not sure if she returned.
I don't think she did, but she stayed on the bench and seemed OK after the game. She had 4 fouls, and we needed a 4th ball-handler on the floor to break the press, so her absence may have been tactical/precautionary. Doster was having a huge game, so it made sense to leave her in at the 5

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
They definitely got into a lull on offense on the 3rd quarter. Without Smith, it was a little unclear who the go-to option was. I was pleased to see them get past that late in the 4th quarter and simplify things and be rewarded with the game-winning baskets. Suarez, Habib, and Doster all stepped up today offensively.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Is anyone else mildly concerned with the spiders and or vcu having a de facto home court for the women’s championship at Heinrico?
Who cares? Go play and kick their butts! Stop looking for an excuse before the games are even played. Everyone knows the schedule and where the game will be played, just win baby.

GMU79

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Is anyone else mildly concerned with the spiders and or vcu having a de facto home court for the women’s championship at Heinrico?
Not really. The men played the CAA tournament at the Richmond Coleseum (vcu's then home court) for years. vcu didn't win most years.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not really. The men played the CAA tournament at the Richmond Coleseum (vcu's then home court) for years. vcu didn't win most years.

vcu won every time we played them, though. We are 0-fer against them in that building.

As for the women, I’m more scared of St. Joes, who handled us pretty easily in the second half on our home court, than I am of vcu.

We will see how we play Richmond next week.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

as of today
tied for 4th place with vcu
but still have to play vcu and Richmond

1708287510714.png

I just thought of this...

The Maniaks could do a daily bus down and back for the WBB tournament the way Patriot Platoon did it when I was there 2006-2010. We went down for the men and also went up to Penn St for volleyball among our many Platoon trips.

https://henrico.us/projects/henrico-sports-and-event-center/ - it literally is brand new apparently...

only seats about 3500 people.
A small passionate group of Mason fans might go a long way.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I just thought of this...

The Maniaks could do a daily bus down and back for the WBB tournament the way Patriot Platoon did it when I was there 2006-2010. We went down for the men and also went up to Penn St for volleyball among our many Platoon trips.

https://henrico.us/projects/henrico-sports-and-event-center/ - it literally is brand new apparently...

only seats about 3500 people.
A small passionate group of Mason fans might go a long way.
Unfortunately, it's during spring break, so there might not be enough demand to make it work.

Otherwise, you're 100% correct.