OT: Washington Freedom Cricket Stadium

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
At risk of repeating what has been said a million times before... What in our school's history gives you the confidence we could successfully fund a football team?

The most likely outcome is that it would drain resources from basketball team. Then we'd have a really bad basketball team to go along with a really bad football team.

If you get someone to show up with $500M and agrees to fund everything for a football team out of his or her own pocket, I'd be all in. Otherwise, I am a hard no! I won't hold my breath for that to happen, though.
They are building a stadium, the most expensive upfront cost! If there was ever a time to get football, the time is now.

And I hate to break it to you, but the basketball program has been a joke for a long time. Hopefully, Skinn will change that, but typically, schools with a good basketball team also have a good football team.

ODU started football in 2009, and the basketball team made the tournament in 2010, 2011, and 2019.

Charlotte started football in 2013 and has since moved from CUSA to the AAC in 2023. The AAC is a much more competitive conference, and there's zero chance Charlotte is asked to join without football.

Georgia State University started football in 2010. The basketball team has been to the NCAA tournament in 2015, 2018, 2019, and 2022. Before having a football team, GSU only made the NCAA tournament twice (1991, 2001).

Last edited:

GMU79

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Don’t get sucked in to football talk!!!!

Anyway our chance to start football was in 97 or 98 (whenever the last serious proposal went across the desk) and the university said no.

We do not want to be ODU and we do not want to be UMass and no one here wants to be stuck in FCS land (outside of the CAa because they’ll never let us be affiliate members).

We are in one if the best basketball conferences outside of the Power 6, competing at one of the highest levels of division 1 in men’s and women’s basketball. Let just enjoy being a basketball school for once.

It’s a fools errand.
Yes!

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
And I hate to break it to you, but the basketball program has been a joke for a long time.
Why do you bother following the program if that is how you feel? But, in a way, you just proved my point. If we can't do basketball alone well, why would you think we could add football to that equation and do both?

ODU started football in 2009, and the basketball team made the tournament in 2010, 2011, and 2019.

Charlotte started football in 2013 and has since moved from CUSA to the AAC in 2023. The AAC is a much more competitive conference, and there's zero chance Charlotte is asked to join without football.

Georgia State University started football in 2010. The basketball team has been to the NCAA tournament in 2015, 2018, 2019, and 2022. Before having a football team, GSU only made the NCAA tournament twice (1991, 2001).
Those are all great examples of schools not named George Mason University. Go back and reread my post. I didn't say it couldn't be done. I asked what in the history of our University leads you to believe that GMU could get it done.

On a tangent: Your signature line looks suspiciously like the signature line of old poster named DJ3 who seemed to frequently go down these types of rabbit holes.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Why do you bother following the program if that is how you feel? But, in a way, you just proved my point. If we can't do basketball alone well, why would you think we could add football to that equation and do both?

Those are all great examples of schools not named George Mason University. Go back and reread my post. I didn't say it couldn't be done. I asked what in the history of our University leads you to believe that GMU could get it done.

On a tangent: Your signature line looks suspiciously like the signature line of old poster named DJ3 who seemed to frequently go down these types of rabbit holes.
1. I follow the basketball team cause I’m a sicko. I wish I could let the team go, trust me.

2. All three of the schools I listed had subpar basketball programs (similar to the current state of Mason) before football. Perhaps football helped their basketball program was my point.

3. Yah I’m DJ3.

They're also great examples of the False Equivalence fallacy.
No two situations will ever be exactly the same. Comparing the situation of ODU, Charlotte, and GSU to Mason is completely reasonable.

Last edited:
I feel like this thread would be better suited in the "Other Mason Sports" part of this message board, as opposed to the 'George Mason Basketball part, but that's just me

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Having football helps the basketball program. It’s proven over and over again.
FWIW, the ODU bball program at 6-17 is in the toilet right now. And the GSU program seems to be circling the bowl at 9-13. Charlotte is leading the AAC at 14-7, but we do have a better record than they do, though they did best us early in the season.

My point is, basketball is basketball and football is football. Playing in the FBS in football is no guarantee of a quality basketball team. For other examples, see Vanderbilt, Missouri, Louisville, and Michigan, FBS Champion, just to name a few.

GMU79

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
FWIW, the ODU bball program at 6-17 is in the toilet right now. And the GSU program seems to be circling the bowl at 9-13. Charlotte is leading the AAC at 14-7, but we do have a better record than they do, though they did best us early in the season.

My point is, basketball is basketball and football is football. Playing in the FBS in football is no guarantee of a quality basketball team. For other examples, see Vanderbilt, Missouri, Louisville, and Michigan, FBS Champion, just to name a few.
And if memory serves me correctly, ODU's best bball days were 20+ years ago. Long before football.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Hey @Falco

I found a guy on twitter that agrees with you about doing a cricket/football combo and he is tweeting pretty regularly at the president and AD. Maybe he will have some success and/or has the tens to hundreds of millions to get this done:
View: https://twitter.com/davideber4/status/1754637489292079118?s=46&t=3I69vYcoT2YCkzXfiueq1w
2 tweets is pretty regularly? One tweet to president only, and 2nd tweet to include the AD.

I’m sensing some hostility from you, and I’m not sure why. If I’m mistake, carry on.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
2 tweets is pretty regularly? One tweet to president only, and 2nd tweet to include the AD.

I’m sensing some hostility from you, and I’m not sure why. If I’m mistake, carry on.

Here’s the thing: one, have you asked the Washington Freedom ownership group if they want to share a stadium with a football team?

Two, you do realize the soon to be power 3 is going to leave the ncaa in football and everyone else is going to get stuck with a massive useless money sink right? Like we all understand this don’t we?

I’m guessing you are just a really big football fan or you foolishly think the NOVA crowd is going to embrace Mason football in a way they never have the basketball team…just because?

Can we just stop talking about something that isn’t happening?

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
56 signatures so far:

"Why this petition matters​

default-avatar-gray-128.svg

Started by Nicholas Sorden

We are a community deeply rooted in the residential neighborhoods surrounding George Mason University. The proposed construction of a cricket stadium on Braddock Road by the university and Washington Freedom Cricket threatens to disrupt our peaceful existence. This large sports complex would fundamentally alter the character of our area, bringing with it increased noise, trash, parking congestion, and traffic.

Our local roads are already strained during weekends and university events. Imagine adding to this load with international professional cricket matches that attract upwards of 10,000 fans. The resulting traffic congestion would make commuting difficult for residents like us and unsafe for pedestrians who call this neighborhood home.

Moreover, we fear that this project will lead to an increase in littering within our community spaces as well as noise pollution that could disturb our daily lives. These concerns are not unfounded; they mirror experiences from other communities around the country where similar projects have been implemented.

We urge George Mason University and Washington Freedom Cricket to reconsider their plans for building a cricket stadium on Braddock Road. There must be alternative locations that can accommodate such a facility without disrupting residential life or putting pedestrians at risk.

Let's stand together as one community against this proposal which threatens our way of life in Fairfax, VA. Please sign this petition urging these organizations to halt their plans for constructing a cricket stadium on Braddock Road."

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Here’s the thing: one, have you asked the Washington Freedom ownership group if they want to share a stadium with a football team?

Two, you do realize the soon to be power 3 is going to leave the ncaa in football and everyone else is going to get stuck with a massive useless money sink right? Like we all understand this don’t we?

I’m guessing you are just a really big football fan or you foolishly think the NOVA crowd is going to embrace Mason football in a way they never have the basketball team…just because?

Can we just stop talking about something that isn’t happening?

There is a huge appetite for football in Nova, especially if the Commanders move back to DC.

Governor Youngkin's willingness to invest substantially in professional sports, exemplified by a $2 billion investment to a billionaire, prompts the question: could this financial support extend to justifying the creation of a stadium for the largest state university in Virginia? Adding to the intrigue is the availability of free funds from cricket partners, making it a pragmatic choice to explore the feasibility of introducing football to GMU.

However, there seems to be a hesitancy, perhaps fueled by apprehensions, to even consider the prospect. It's worth noting that such an initiative could potentially enhance the university's profile and overall athletic program, yet reluctance persists, with some fearing it might divert resources from the longstanding basketball team, even if its performance has been modest at best.

Last edited:

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
56 signatures so far:

"Why this petition matters​

default-avatar-gray-128.svg

Started by Nicholas Sorden

We are a community deeply rooted in the residential neighborhoods surrounding George Mason University. The proposed construction of a cricket stadium on Braddock Road by the university and Washington Freedom Cricket threatens to disrupt our peaceful existence. This large sports complex would fundamentally alter the character of our area, bringing with it increased noise, trash, parking congestion, and traffic.

Our local roads are already strained during weekends and university events. Imagine adding to this load with international professional cricket matches that attract upwards of 10,000 fans. The resulting traffic congestion would make commuting difficult for residents like us and unsafe for pedestrians who call this neighborhood home.

Moreover, we fear that this project will lead to an increase in littering within our community spaces as well as noise pollution that could disturb our daily lives. These concerns are not unfounded; they mirror experiences from other communities around the country where similar projects have been implemented.

We urge George Mason University and Washington Freedom Cricket to reconsider their plans for building a cricket stadium on Braddock Road. There must be alternative locations that can accommodate such a facility without disrupting residential life or putting pedestrians at risk.

Let's stand together as one community against this proposal which threatens our way of life in Fairfax, VA. Please sign this petition urging these organizations to halt their plans for constructing a cricket stadium on Braddock Road."
"Peaceful existence" lol. Buddy, they're building a stadium for America's 38th largest sport next to your house, you're not in Palestine. f**king a, these NoVa people.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I’ll just drop this argument here: [correlation doesn’t equal causation] post hoc ergo proptor hoc