OT: UConn leaving the Big East?

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
These privates will not allow another non private in, ever. Dayton and/or St. Louis, maybe

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
These privates will not allow another non private in, ever. Dayton and/or St. Louis, maybe
Completely agree. They’d want to stick with that type of fit.

That said I also could see them just being happy with the league they have even if UConn leaves. They could always go get a Syracuse too.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I could see a case for the big east going after SLU and Loyola Chicago.

Both are private Catholic universities. Both fit well geographically. But are they strong enough programs is the real question.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Xavier likely blocks Dayton. DePaul blocks Loyola. St. Louis could be mildly attractive.

I don’t think the Big East needs to be in a hurry. They won’t find anything close to a UConn equivalent right now. Might as well wait to see what happens with the ACC. Outside chance to make a run at Duke, Louisville, and Syracuse.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Xavier likely blocks Dayton. DePaul blocks Loyola. St. Louis could be mildly attractive.

I don’t think the Big East needs to be in a hurry. They won’t find anything close to a UConn equivalent right now. Might as well wait to see what happens with the ACC. Outside chance to make a run at Duke, Louisville, and Syracuse.

Not sure why they would make the same mistake and bring Louisville and Syracuse back. Duke might be attractive but maybe only if they got rid of their football program.

I think it would be a smart move for a basketball only conference like us and the Big East to wait and see what happens with football realignment. I still think a split off with football on one side and everything else on the other might happen.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Not sure why they would make the same mistake and bring Louisville and Syracuse back. Duke might be attractive but maybe only if they got rid of their football program.

I think it would be a smart move for a basketball only conference like us and the Big East to wait and see what happens with football realignment. I still think a split off with football on one side and everything else on the other might happen.
How would bringing Louisville and Syracuse back in be a mistake? They add large fan bases and viewership. Duke’s football program (which is actually pretty solid) would have no bearing on their attractiveness for a conference that doesn’t have football.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Duke could head to the Big 10 - imo

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
How would bringing Louisville and Syracuse back in be a mistake? They add large fan bases and viewership. Duke’s football program (which is actually pretty solid) would have no bearing on their attractiveness for a conference that doesn’t have football.

Because of a misalignment of goals and values—the football schools blew up the conference the last time.

And as you can see parking a few football schools into a non-football conference with not enough football playing members to have their own schedule is a placeholder for these schools.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I am happy with A-10 being their ceiling. That's a pretty good place to be for a non-football state school.

The A10 will most likely be better than the AAC and in a battle for 6th place with the MWC going forward now that the PAC is dead (for now).

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Last year the A10 was #8. I expect them always to be in the 6-10 range. That is also where I would love to get scheduling alliances but thats a different topic. I do like that we have gone after h/h with AAC teams (ECU, Tulane).

I'm very happy with Mason being in the A10 and feel its the best fit. Whether the A10 implodes or splits off in some way, thats a whole other discussion. I suspect the league will stick together even if members come and go.

Last edited:

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

I am happy with A-10 being their ceiling. That's a pretty good place to be for a non-football state school.
While in reality the A10 is Mason’s ceiling. However, Mason should be striving for the Big East.

The potential is definitely there, given the size of the school and its prime location in Northern Virginia. Tapping into that potential might involve fostering a stronger sense of school pride, which can be a challenge but is essential for building a more competitive and vibrant sports culture. It would be interesting to see how GMU could leverage its resources and location

Last edited:

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
While in reality the A10 is Mason’s ceiling. However, Mason should be striving for the Big East.

The potential is definitely there, given the size of the school and its prime location in Northern Virginia. Tapping into that potential might involve fostering a stronger sense of school pride, which can be a challenge but is essential for building a more competitive and vibrant sports culture. It would be interesting to see how GMU could leverage its resources and location
I guess it doesn't hurt to dream...

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Issue with the Big East, as you probably know, is that Mason is not a private Catholic school.

Add the other things you mentioned, its just most likely never happening. There is definitely potential, but there probably would be several schools ahead of Mason that would be better fits. And even the schools that are fits would be blocked.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Issue with the Big East, as you probably know, is that Mason is not a private Catholic school.

Add the other things you mentioned, it’s just most likely never happening. There is definitely potential, but there probably would be several schools ahead of Mason that would be better fits. And even the schools that are fits would be blocked.
For sure. Just pointing out that Mason isn’t living up to its potential

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Add the other things you mentioned, its just most likely never happening. There is definitely potential, but there probably would be several schools ahead of Mason that would be better fits. And even the schools that are fits would be blocked.

0% chance Georgetown shares the market with us.

But it doesn’t hurt to think what would we have to do to be attractive a Big East worthy program here: think Xavier when they were an A10 school.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
For sure. Just pointing out that Mason isn’t living up to its potential
100% on same page.
0% chance Georgetown shares the market with us.

But it doesn’t hurt to think what would we have to do to be attractive a Big East worthy program here: think Xavier when they were an A10 school.
Yeah exactly. DePaul won't share with Loyola, Xavier won't share with Dayton and Georgetown won't share with Mason.

Unless the Big East splits off again and some new conference is formed where Mason and the other schools can fit in.