NIL Thread

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
For anyone involved in the Mason collective, is there any talk about allowing custom donation amounts? Outside of the green and gold levels looks like it’s limited to 25, 50, or 100.

Important for the fanbase to donate after a** whippings like this, hope everyone considers it tonight after a rivalry game. One of the most direct ways you can impact the success of the program.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
For anyone involved in the Mason collective, is there any talk about allowing custom donation amounts? Outside of the green and gold levels looks like it’s limited to 25, 50, or 100.

Important for the fanbase to donate after a** whippings like this, hope everyone considers it tonight after a rivalry game. One of the most direct ways you can impact the success of the program.
It is definitely on the todo list. I will bring it up again and mention that it was brought up on this forum as an example for the desire for it.

Dawgs99

Starter
Who's dropping a bag on Baraka? Can we get Kathy to hook him up with a sweet Silverado or something? Have to keep this kid at Mason!

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Who's dropping a bag on Baraka? Can we get Kathy to hook him up with a sweet Silverado or something? Have to keep this kid at Mason!

He’s Canadian so his NIL options are more complicated. Not that some rich team can’t figure it out but it’s not the same.

GMU79

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
That seemed to work well with the 20.06 donations after Tony was hired. While it might not raise a ton of money, it does get more people involved with the collective which is always a plus. Hopefully those then turn into bigger donations in the future.
Or the Maryland game score.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
He’s Canadian so his NIL options are more complicated. Not that some rich team can’t figure it out but it’s not the same.
Our collective does have an NIL agreement with Baracka. They have dotted all the i's and crossed the t's, but, essentially, he can only perform work related to NIL when he is in Canada.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Our collective does have an NIL agreement with Baracka. They have dotted all the i's and crossed the t's, but, essentially, he can only perform work related to NIL when he is in Canada.
does it extend to anywhere outside of the USA?
Last season, I believe Kansas played a tournament in the Caribbean which allowed Oscar Tshiewbe (?) to pocket a lot of cash.

JC_FoodcourtBandit

Preferred Walk-On
That seemed to work well with the 20.06 donations after Tony was hired. While it might not raise a ton of money, it does get more people involved with the collective which is always a plus. Hopefully those then turn into bigger donations in the future.
I donated for this one, wish they did more things like that

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
does it extend to anywhere outside of the USA?
Last season, I believe Kansas played a tournament in the Caribbean which allowed Oscar Tshiewbe (?) to pocket a lot of cash.
The restriction is that students/players on an education visa are not permitted to work in the US. I mentioned Canada as that is where he is from and can "easily" work from Canada on visits back home. In general, as long as the work is outside the US, then you are OK, but I don't know the specifics for every country or if there are exceptions in our laws that block other countries...

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Good god the courts just keep making this worse. At this point, just sell the damn teams to the NFL and NBA and turn them into U23 academies at this point.
So a prospective student athlete should not be permitted to discuss their individual NIL opportunities with a collective prior to committing to that school?

This kind of seems like common sense. It’s happening anyway, everyone is doing it, now it’s permitted.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So a prospective student athlete should not be permitted to discuss their individual NIL opportunities with a collective prior to committing to that school?

This kind of seems like common sense. It’s happening anyway, everyone is doing it, now it’s permitted.

Um…yes…I would call that interference. I also think collectives as a construct are dubious constructs at best, but that’s just me. I’m not sure why you’d want fans to have more control over who comes than the coaching staff.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Um…yes…I would call that interference. I also think collectives as a construct are dubious constructs at best, but that’s just me. I’m not sure why you’d want fans to have more control over who comes than the coaching staff.

Coach: This kid really has a great handle and can shoot the lights out from 3. We need this kid because our point guard is out of eligibility. Also, he's a 4.0 student in high school.

NIL decision makers: I hear you Coach, but the kid is, let's just say, not very photogenic. We won't be able to sell him for ads to the local commercial enterprises. So Coach, you're just going to have to pass on this kid.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Whats the interference? A prospect should have an understanding of their value before they make a decision.

In my experience, coaching staffs and collectives work in lockstep. It’s not like a collective is going to spend their funds on someone the staff doesn’t want.