Facilities and Arena discussion

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
One of the things I really like about the PatDome is the angle of the seats. In many stadiums, and as it looks in the picture of the Robbins Center, the low slope makes the view through peoples heads. At the PatDome, each row is, for the most part, enough higher than the row in front of it so you're not constantly having to move your head to see around the person in front of you. And In addition, I'm willing to bet that current code might require a less steep slope.

Last edited:

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Seen a few take headers back in the day. The steps can be dangerous.
When they installed the handrails some years ago, it was very helpful. I don't think I've ever seen anyone take a header on the steps and the section I'm in is of a median age older than most.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
IMG_9637.jpeg

Very dull.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Believe it or not a lot of this was modernized in the renovation that occurred around 2005 2006. No it wasn't Final Four related.

The concourse was widened, I think there was a bathroom updated and that box office was added on the west entrance.

The concourse isn't exciting but its not really meant to be. It doesnt' look much different than many other arenas I have been to. I will say, it would be nice to have a TV with some sort of video feed so you can watch the action with the game going on (and in the Gold Room) but whatever. Happy to at least have the video board even if that came 10+ years too late.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The biggest question to ask, "What is the single greatest reason that one is entering EBA?"

A: To experience an event.

Does the color scheme of the concourse affect the experience of the event? If one leaves EBA and is worried about the concrete floors or the type of urinal cakes one pees on then either the event sucked or one doesn't really care to be there.

To be flip about it—as a very wise man once told me, "It's not the face you f**k, it's the f**k you face."

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
What's the debt on EBA? Seems to be alot.

If its not bringing in the shows it once did, and Monumental is gonna build a 6k events center within its new Wizared/Cap park in Alexandria, EBA might become a money pit for them and the school. If they depart as the management arm of EBA, then the school has to run it or find a replacement. At which point, they roll the debt into a new arena, smaller and more basketball oriented with the ability to host some shows/graduations.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
That’s an outstanding quote, but in some cases, not totally accurate.

Anyways… the concourse is boring but most are. An improved Gold Room is probably what I hear the most.
There was nothing exciting about the concourse at Thompson-Boiling. Inside was nice though.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The single biggest issue is the caverness of the arena. Slopes of seats are good, but the end point is too far away from the court and the wide open corners are terrible- but this is of course useful for it being a multipurpose venue.

Current came day is soooooo much better then pre renovations/jumbotron, but stil tons and tons of other low hanging fruit.

Gold room and tvs showing game (and highlights before/after) seem to be the two most obvious and tangibke things that could be done.

Personally, I’m not likely to ever join the gold room again until it is revamped.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If one leaves EBA and is worried about the concrete floors or the type of urinal cakes one pees on then either the event sucked or one doesn't really care to be there.
Good point, but, I do think vcu branded urinal cakes would be the biggest bang for the buck in atmosphere improvement. The downside is that the there might be a line for the men’s room all game long.

Pretty sure I stole this idea from someone else.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Believe it or not a lot of this was modernized in the renovation that occurred around 2005 2006. No it wasn't Final Four related.

The concourse was widened, I think there was a bathroom updated and that box office was added on the west entrance.

The concourse isn't exciting but its not really meant to be. It doesnt' look much different than many other arenas I have been to. I will say, it would be nice to have a TV with some sort of video feed so you can watch the action with the game going on (and in the Gold Room) but whatever. Happy to at least have the video board even if that came 10+ years too late.
It just needs a different paint color.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Good point, but, I do think vcu branded urinal cakes would be the biggest bang for the buck in atmosphere improvement. The downside is that the there might be a line for the men’s room all game long.

Pretty sure I stole this idea from someone else.
Lol I think there were urinal cakes or a picture of a former coach from a program put in a urinal many years ago..

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
It just needs a different paint color.
Agreed if they made the concourse walls white, painted teh floor sa slightly darker grey and eliminated the drop ceiling it would be fine. There are video screens around the concourse and updated bathrooms with more food vending.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Agreed if they made the concourse walls white, painted teh floor sa slightly darker grey and eliminated the drop ceiling it would be fine. There are video screens around the concourse and updated bathrooms with more food vending.
They did do an update to some bathrooms (or maybe just one woman's bathroom) - but there is still a bathroom that I go into that hasn't been renovated and looks exactly the same. Its absurd that it hasn't even gotten a fresh coat of paint or flooring.

Building is definitely different than when I first walked in as an usher in 2003, but its time to do even more to it. I remember when I was an usher we had a breakroom essentially in a storage closet.

I agree. I don’t think there’s anything alarmingly obvious that screams the arena needs to be full on replaced at this point.

What I think most, myself included, fixate on are the smaller cosmetic things that impact the gameday experience. Like a shoddy hospitality area or lack of dedicated fan shop, etc. But that’s an entirely different topic that’s been beaten to death (and doesn’t warrant full on replacement).

Based on latest master plans (who knows how accurate they are) and other recently presented docs it seems the administration wants to eventually move the arena over by the field house, and repurpose the EBA area to expand the residential/academic core of campus. It’s anyone’s guess at this point when they’d actually make a move towards that becoming a reality, given it would be an incredibly large undertaking. We could maybe see minor upgrades in the short term that address some of the cosmetic/smaller issues.
The thing with that will be getting students to walk from the dorms across the highway to that part of campus. How many trek over for soccer?